Catapult question?

chrissh

Reaction score
What is the best cup/pouch to use when firing 4 or 5, 8mm pellets out when fishing a pellet waggler?

Is there a cup that will keep the pellets in a tight group rather than scattering the pellets?

I have a pellet catapult but when firing pellets they scatter

Have any of you used one of the one hand ezfeeda catapult

http://[url=https://postimg.cc/BP1zvZpq] [/URL]

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Some degree of scatter is unavoidable, just think about the dynamics at work.

I always use a mediun size mesh basket type when feeding pellet as that keeps them in a tighter group to when I use a flat mesh type.

I tried the Ezefeeder (or similar) once but was put off by the noise in made in use so gave it to an old fishing buddy who quite liked it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m hopeless with just about every catapult on the market!

When I’m whip fishing for rudd I use a pellet waggler style of fishing, constantly recasting to about a ten to twelve metre distance. I’ve had great success using a bait bucket in front of me filled with pellets and scooping out the required amount with a plastic scoop. I’ve just bought another scoop with a handle which should give me a greater range if required. The grouping is quite tight and I can accurately put them exactly where I want them, often firing high to give a nice splash on landing.

The setup

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
I sometimes use the Ezefeeda and it does keep bait, in my case tares, grouped better than the Drennan match pult. But as has been noted they make a right racket. The elastic lasts no time at all as another downside. Mikench uses one all the time so he's better placed to comment but he's fishing today. He'll probably come on later.

rayner

Reaction score
Chris, I use Preston innovations peletpult it's got a hard pouch. I originally bought it for firing out cubes of meat because with a soft pouch I was squashing the meat. Pellets don't spread too much at all.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I use the old style drennan catty with a mesh pouch..... simply because that’s what was on offer when I bought it but it is pretty good....

I bought the ez feeder and liked using it when pole fishing...... unfortunately I lost it in my divorce amongst other things !!!

Tree123

Reaction score
I’m hopeless with just about every catapult on the market!

When I’m whip fishing for rudd I use a pellet waggler style of fishing, constantly recasting to about a ten to twelve metre distance. I’ve had great success using a bait bucket in front of me filled with pellets and scooping out the required amount with a plastic scoop. I’ve just bought another scoop with a handle which should give me a greater range if required. The grouping is quite tight and I can accurately put them exactly where I want them, often firing high to give a nice splash on landing.

The setup

The shed or the gate?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol, the shed swim, float only now!

Keith M

Reaction score
I have the Maggipult which was the forerunner to the ezfeeder and promoted by the world champion at the time Bob Nudd, but after trying it a few times I threw it into the back of my shed because it would make an almighty thwack! which would tend to scare almost every decent fish within hearing distance out of my swim.

I’ve no doubt that on a commercial full of hungry pasties it might not have quite the same effect but I no longer fish commercials :)

I do however use a home made throwing stick which I made from the handle section of an old fibreglass Match rod and this gives me a tight grouping of loose feed at about 12 to 16 mtrs (and quietly) when I’m using my Pole. Any further than this then it’s ability to keep the feed in a tight group starts to fade.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I do use an ezfeeda regularly. It does make a thwack like an arrow leaving a bow so I just pretend I'm Robin Hood. It goes through elastic but then all catty do. I like it Chris and it's very easy to use for pellets, maggots, gb,meat, micros even bread in fact anything which fits in the end cap. The end caps supplied (3 different sizes) are easily broken but after 4 years of constant use and abuse , hardly surprising.

I wouldn't be without it.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Have you never thought of holding your rod, and using a catty to feed.
Have catapult at side of maggots or pellets. Put a few in catty pouch, hold pouch and catty along rod, pull the catty away from pouch,not the other way round.
Hold on to tag on pouch and aim and let go,
Once you get hang,you get nice grouping of bait.

rayner

Reaction score
Feeding first as been a good tactic at times, especially when fishing the puller or jigging for roach.
Times are you never get a chance to feed because the bait is quickly taken whilst you are filling the catapult pouch when fish are up in the water. Fish drive you crackers at times, you have to get in a rhythm.
Pellet waggler fishing also benefits from feeding first, feeding then follows the cast, then retrieve and start the process again.
Feeding is the most important thing in fishing.