Connecting a rig to a whip

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are many documented ways of connecting your line to a whip but I have just recently stumbled across this method on another forum and I think it looks rather neat.

It a length of braided leadcore, with the core stripped out, a knot tied one end and it’s just a case of slipping it over the fine tip for an inch or two. Don’t understand the science but the harder your pull the tighter the grip the braid gives. It’s then just a case of using the regular method of tying a loop on your line and passing a loop through that and placing it over the knot and tighten.

Looking forward to my first rudd session soon and trying the method out, if it fails, I’ll let you know.:eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
I can't quite get my head round that John but I hope it works. My whip remains untouched.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a Shakespeare whip it's about 30 years old that came with something similar attached. It worked well for a number of years until the tip of the whip started coming through the braid, so I ended up removing the braid and fitting a stonfo connector. I found I hit bites quicker using the braid method and never suffered a wrap over.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can't quite get my head round that John but I hope it works. My whip remains untouched.

Like you I couldn’t get my head round the concept either Mike, it’s something you’d have to try and see it in practice, get that whip out and have some fun!

rayner

Reaction score
I prefer the double silicon way of attaching my rig, it's the way I've always connected to the flick tip it's never come off so I'll stick with it.
Whichever way you prefer is good. It's what you prefer and are confident with, so long as your rig stays connected what more could you want.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I also have a whip with double silicon method, I can remove that flick tip and replace with elasticated short number one if required,
If anyone is thinking of fitting a stonfo connector, dont use super glue, it is not waterproof and connector will work loose after time,