Rod endorsements

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I remember when I bought my first "decent" rod, c.1979, I first handled a Shakespeare Alpha (designed by Clive Smith and Ken Giles, but without their names on the blank) and then picked up a Daiwa Persuader which had Ivan Marks' name on it. I'd assumed in advance that the Persuader was going to feel so much better in the hand because of the great man's endorsement, but it didn't - far from it, in fact: it felt top-heavy and floppy. I bought the Alpha and used it for the next 20 years (and quite wish I still had it)!

The Persuader was basically a mid 1960s rod and the Alpha a late 70s rod with a far better blank. It was said that when fibreglass finally came good carbon fibre arrived and many early carbon rods weren't as good as the best of the glass ones even if they were a fair bit lighter.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I remember having a "Kevin Ashusrt Supreme" float rod, it was on a bottle green blank, I caught plenty of fish on it.
A friend had a Garbolino pole that had bullet nose sections ,it had Mark Downs name on it as if he endorsed it, It was fine at 10 metres, then that was it, it started to go when the last few barrels went on the end.

xenon

Reaction score
The only name(s) that cut any ice with me is the name of the manufacturer-in no particular order, harrison, Diawa, Drennan etc.

mikench

Reaction score
I haven't so suspect your post is ironic. The thought of a rod endorsed by a grinning idiot like him would put me of fishing.

Reaction score
The Persuader was basically a mid 1960s rod and the Alpha a late 70s rod with a far better blank. It was said that when fibreglass finally came good carbon fibre arrived and many early carbon rods weren't as good as the best of the glass ones even if they were a fair bit lighter.

I couldn't agree more Mark,I had 12ft &14 Hardy matchmakers,a Leslies light liner in glass and was continually badgered by Les Crawley(the originator of Leslies)about buying carbon float rods,he kept shoving rods in my hand saying how good they were,and they were poor imo and I told him so,saying that when he brought one out that was better than what I was using I would buy one instantly,which I did about a year or so later,a Normark 12ft 6in diamura(wrongly spelt)blank,these were a major breakthrough in float rods imo,I had two,the other a 12fter,brilliant rods,it took a while to better them,a truly iconic rod without a name(apart from Geoff Salisbury in the background).

Reaction score
I remember back in the days when I did a fair amount of Carp fishing I bought a pair of Carp rods from Leslie’s of Luton which were endorsed by the then well known Carp Angler Robin Maylin and they turned out to be two of the worst Carp rods I had used.

A mate and I went to a Carp conference later that year where Robin Maylin was doing a talk, and when I mentioned to him that I’d bought a couple of his rods he replied “so your the one who bought them” :eek:mg:

No wonder that I haven’t heard his name banded about in Carp circles since.

The only thing that they were any good for was a bit of close range Piking and even then they weren’t that good.

I bought two of the original 11ft John Wilson Avon/Quivers back in the early 80s which were excellent rods in their day, and I still use one of these whenever I’m fishing in very tight swims with a lot of overhanging branches, where my more modern rods could easily be damaged; and the JW Avon/Quivers have taken a lot of punishment over the years without too many complaints.
However it seems that subsequent versions of this rod have not been anywhere near as good as the originals were.

Other rods that I’ve had that were indorsed by well known anglers like my two 11ft fibreglass Jim Gibbinson Clooper Carp rods (which I made myself using a couple of rod kits), my 10ft Richard Walker MKIV split cane Carp rod (which I caught my very first Barbel and double figure Carp on), and my 12ft Match International Float rod (which I caught my very first 2lb Roach on), and which was endorsed by Clive Smith and Ken Giles; have all been really excellent rods.

Oh I nearly forgot my very first match rod; the Billy Lane 14ft 6in Enterprise Match rod which had expanded fibreglass at its joints instead of the normal ferrules that we were more used to, and which weighed a ton compared to modern rods. But was in those days still recognised by many as a good Float rod.

But when I buy rods today I often go on recommendations from other good anglers around me and not only on well known names.

Keith

Rob Maylin is a major player in carp mags,books etc,owning at least one publishing company,he still fishes for carp as far as I know,but doesn't chase the limelight as he used to. Rob used to be a good friend of mine,he match fished with Vauxhall AC from his late teens,i'm afraid i'm probably responsible for him taking up carp fishing as when fishing a club gravel pit near Oxford I started trying to catch difficult carp amongst chub and tench,I caught one,an 11-4 mirror which he photographed,then again another 16-14 and that was it,he became blinkered and only ever fished for carp,at times he was selfish and it destroyed two relationships and split a a family,haven't seen him for probably twelve years or so,but he is good old boy really and would still class him as a friend,as for the Leslies rods,at that time I would imagine Rob was deeply flattered to have a Leslies rod with his name on it,especially if they gave him a few quid,he was pretty young then. Most rods with named anglers endorsing them are poor,mainly because they don't suit us as individuals,plus the fact most have very,very little input on action and design....

Last edited:

xenon

Reaction score
Rob Maylin is a major player in carp mags,books etc,owning at least one publishing company,he still fishes for carp as far as I know,but doesn't chase the limelight as he used to. Rob used to be a good friend of mine,he match fished with Vauxhall AC from his late teens,i'm afraid i'm probably responsible for him taking up carp fishing as when fishing a club gravel pit near Oxford I started trying to catch difficult carp amongst chub and tench,I caught on,an 11-4 mirror which he photographed,then again another 16-14 and that was it,he became blinkered and only ever fished for carp,at times he was selfish and it destroyed two relationships and split a a family,haven't seen him for probably twelve years or so,but he is good old boy really and would still class him as a friend,as for the Leslies rods,at that time I would imagine Rob was deeply flattered to have a Leslies rod with his name on it,especially if they gave him a few quid,he was pretty young then. Most rods with named anglers endorsing them are poor,mainly because they don't suit us as individuals,plus the fact most have very,very little input on action and design....

Think the exceptions are those rods where the angler has had significant input, since they have integrity and simply won't endorse something they are not happy with-the likes of Tom Pickering, Scotthorne and John Allerton.

mikench

Reaction score
Think the exceptions are those rods where the angler has had significant input, since they have integrity and simply won't endorse something they are not happy with-the likes of Tom Pickering, Scotthorne and John Allerton.

That appears to be the pattern today and I suspect the rods are all the better for it.

Reaction score
Probably,ask them if they would endorse a rod when they were early twenties,when they were coming through the ranks,most people have a price at that stage,at a more mature age you realise your good name could be tarnished....

mikench

Reaction score
Most if not all professional sportsmen who endorse a product be it a rod, golf clubs or football boots have to use them . Scotthorne could hardly endorse Drennan rods and then use a Daiwa.

I accept fully if someone is just setting out they will go for the free products and the remuneration regardless. I stopped buying the fishing mags because the columnists only use their own or endorsed products and nobody has a bad word to say about anything. A review on those terms is worthless.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most if not all professional sportsmen who endorse a product be it a rod, golf clubs or football boots have to use them . Scotthorne could hardly endorse Drennan rods and then use a Daiwa.

I accept fully if someone is just setting out they will go for the free products and the remuneration regardless. I stopped buying the fishing mags because the columnists only use their own or endorsed products and nobody has a bad word to say about anything. A review on those terms is worthless.

Remuneration....:eek:mg:....:biggrin:

Mike, I think you have the finest float rod ever made already, no need to look at rods endorsed by the angling celebrites ;).

Reaction score
Which rod is that Ian,Mike has a couple,as do I....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which rod is that Ian,Mike has a couple,as do I....

He recently stole a original 13ft normark avenger MKII !

For me, the original 13ft normark MKII avenger is still cock of the rock when it comes to float rods.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have just bought a Shimano 12' - 13' Speedcast feeder rod that belonged to Jan Porter, it was first one made and he used it for some months before shimano released it, It has extra tips that he requested. If it was good enough for him it is good enough for me .?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have just bought a Shimano 12' - 13' Speedcast feeder rod that belonged to Jan Porter, it was first one made and he used it for some months before shimano released it, It has extra tips that he requested. If it was good enough for him it is good enough for me .?

Was that off his mrs?
She is selling all his gear on ebay, has been for quite some time now. If it really was all his gear he must have had a wearhouse full !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Browning Black Magic pole that I got from Jan some years ago.
He was quite regularly in Norway and he fished many of our local matches there.