Rod endorsements

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have a couple of Speedcast float rods. They aren't the very best I have, but they are far better than the distinct lack of attention they garnered might suggest. Decent rods, especially for the paltry price they tend to go for second hand.

rob48

Reaction score
He never actually put his name on any of the rods but it was easy enough to tell the Shimano models that Kevin Ashurst had involvement with.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have a couple of Speedcast float rods. They aren't the very best I have, but they are far better than the distinct lack of attention they garnered might suggest. Decent rods, especially for the paltry price they tend to go for second hand.
My float rods are Daiwa , I think the best of them is the SR3, I was after something better but at decent price, so hopefully the Aspires will do the job.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My float rods are Daiwa , I think the best of them is the SR3, I was after something better but at decent price, so hopefully the Aspires will do the job.

If you don't think they're better than the SR3, I'll be a little surprised. However, the action may be a bit different.

chevin4

Reaction score
Apart from a John Wilson 11/13 which was awful stiff as a poker at 11ft and unbalanced at 13ft the only other named rod I owned was a Fred J Taylor 12ft Specimen Rod in carbon. I brought this back in 1984 and a small range of carbon rods were introduced to replace the glass models bearing similar names. The rod had a detachable butt and pink whippings which I hated Mr Walker advised me they could do a special with say green whipping but I would have to pay a premium. The rod was brilliant and a true allrounder equally at home trotting for chub or float fishing for tench it was very thick walled but had a beautiful action I certainly a regretted selling that rod

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I still have a set of Rod Hutchinson IMX 2.75lb carp rods from the 90's. They are beautiful rods, they are special to me and I love using them.

silvers

Reaction score
Rob Maylin is a major player in carp mags,books etc,owning at least one publishing company,he still fishes for carp as far as I know,but doesn't chase the limelight as he used to. Rob used to be a good friend of mine,he match fished with Vauxhall AC from his late teens,i'm afraid i'm probably responsible for him taking up carp fishing as when fishing a club gravel pit near Oxford I started trying to catch difficult carp amongst chub and tench,I caught one,an 11-4 mirror which he photographed,then again another 16-14 and that was it,he became blinkered and only ever fished for carp,at times he was selfish and it destroyed two relationships and split a a family,haven't seen him for probably twelve years or so,but he is good old boy really and would still class him as a friend,as for the Leslies rods,at that time I would imagine Rob was deeply flattered to have a Leslies rod with his name on it,especially if they gave him a few quid,he was pretty young then. Most rods with named anglers endorsing them are poor,mainly because they don't suit us as individuals,plus the fact most have very,very little input on action and design....
Hi Alan,

I’m guessing that Rob’s match fishing era would be before 1983 when I started fishing Vauxhall matches?

Reaction score
Yes mate,he fished in the Vauxhall team that won the Luton and district league most years,with anglers like Brian Calvert(captain),**** Morris,**** Bird,Lol Smith,Norman Loseby,Mark Bird,Keith Cullip,Roy Poulton,Mick Denton,Dave Litchfield,Ted Plackett and myself...bloody system wont let you write D1ck as someone's name,grrr!!!

silvers

Reaction score
Yep ... only remember about half of those names Alan.

Reaction score
Some good anglers there,most passed on...

silvers

Reaction score
i remember the two ****s, mark b and Roy poulton. Keith Cullip fished with Bedford angling centre in my time. Lol smith I know the name but can’t picture.
when I started fishing for the Vauxhall team in about 86 it was John Wilson, Tim gladdy and John and Dave maple ... along with robin page

Reaction score
Ted Plackett was a very,very good match angler,but he was at the end of his career,if you could call it that,Lol Smith is still going strong and was at John Prices funeral,he was a great small fish angler,so when chub arrived he was lost...