Want to keep warm this winter...?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
In one of my even more stupid than usual moments, I had the absolutely brainless idea to submit a book synopsis to Medlar Press. I got, as expected, the usual slapped wrist of a rejection rebuff for having the temerity to even suggest such a thing.

So far, plus ca change, as our French colleagues would say. But tucked away in the rejection there was a phase, and such was the condescending tone, the impact was like being hit by a snowball with a carefully concealed rock at its core.

The no doubt delightful writer of the note, Rosie Ward-Allen, informed me that although my writing style might be of interest to the members of FishingMagic, it was not for them.It seems that when it comes to things literary, the likes of you and me are bottom of the food chain.

No doubt Medlar and other publishing houses feel they are at the apex of that chain, then the monthly angling press, followed by the weeklies, and then us lot down on the websites.It never seems to occur to the likes of Medlar that we are not three separate groups of readers, and we should not be banded (or is that branded…?) as such.

The majority of anglers will read anything if it is of interest to them, and the medium it is presented on is of less importance than the content. We do not all have to be degree-holding intellectuals to purchase and enjoy books by Medlar, nor do we need IQ ratings in single figures before we can appreciate angling websites.

The final paradox to this is that although I took the time to carefully type, print and post off my synopsis to Medlar, their reply came in the form of an email, so it seems the internet is good for something……….!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin,

It must be quite soul destroying to receive any rejection, but one worded as you describe sounds like twisting the damn knife.

I wonder what the ratio of books on the shelf to rejection letters actually is?

I would agree though that the majority of anglers will read anything if the subject matter is of interest to them - even the weeklies (nah, only JOKING Greg)

[insert smiling thing - it as it really was a joke]

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hi Peter

I wasn't expecting a correspondence course from Medlar on 'How to get your idea published with us' but by the same token, I didn't like the implication that FM members were somehow a different breed to other anglers

I wouldn't mind if all the tomes that Medlar put out were literary classics, but the Walker biography should certainly be more at homein the fiction section given the amount of burnishing that was applied to RW's character. Seems every flaw was carefully airbrushed out to protect the demi-god status, IMHO........!

(Won't be getting any books to review now, I suspect...!)

F

Fred Bonney

Somebody still loves you, Kevin/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Thanks Fred,

Don't think I'll be getting a Valentines card from Rosie Ward-Allen this year though...!!!

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Kevin

I fear I might get the same reply when I send in my addition to the good book from my recent thread (no defunked)

I'm like a dog with a boner sorry that should read bone/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
M'lud

I'm surprised you don't have a seat on the board at Muddler Press. Your no-nonsense manner of dealing with underlings and common riff-raff is just what they are looking for, I should imagine.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Kevin,

Put it down to experience. A publisher that tells you their opinion is brutal but better in some ways than a simple no. If getting published was easy everyone would be doing it, and as Peter rightly pointed out, there are an awful lot more rejections than acceptances.

Medlar have to try to get their potential market right; they've expanded their production recently in terms of titles published and no doubt will be taking a chance with some. But the ultimate aim of any publisher is to make money so sometimes they will turn down a book that later does well placed elsewhere.

Istill have a file of rejection letters circa 2000/2001 and it certainly taught me a lot about getting published.

There is a difference between short articles on FM and a book, and even between articles on FM and in magazines. Understanding that difference is not always easy but essential.

The elements to getting published go far beyond good writing and a good idea. Luck plays a part as does timing, and knowing the right people helps, as does not burning your bridges!

One day though...

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Keep at it Kevin, that Wintle bloke knows what he's on about........

Seriously mate, you've got what it takes, it's just a case of finding the "X" factor that "they" want.

Don't get frustrated, use it for future reference. Who knows, they might be telling you what they want through their rejections? Never burn those bridges........

Good luck and chin up mate, it will happen!

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Kevin Perkins wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>........I didn't like the implication that FM members were somehow a different breed to other anglers
</blockquote>

oh, but we are Kevin /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

have you thought of speaking to someone like Mark Cunnington? He hasn't done too badly with his "Syndicate" sextuplet - cant see too many publishers giving the origional synopsis a chance!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Mark

I have no problem with a brutally honest rejection letter (or email...) What I took strong objection to was the suggeston that FM readers were not in the same league as people who buy books form Medlar Press, and that is patently not the case.

Hell, I believe that some of our members might even have the odd GCSE between them..........

Dave

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go , don't suppose you have any contact details for Mark....?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Still spitting feathers then, Kevin?

Does 'O' level Geography count?

Worth remembering that Medlar/Waterlog's experience of forums was not a happy one, and that what you received was someone's opinion, whioch is not necessarily the same as a fact.

F

Fred Bonney

Does Art & Craft "O" level count, as well?/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Don't get disheartened...

I am 17 chapters intoa fictional prose about the life and times of my alter ego KaiAng V'Shoor...

It has Trolls Goblns Dragons and Daemons it it...

But Lord Of The Rings it is not/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
It is very unfortunate Kevin but your experience is quite common listening to potential writers and their continual rejection from publishers. For all those that eventually succeed there are probably thousands that never do which isn't to say their writing isn't good just that the publishers don't see it as a money spinner. Publishing, as in all areas of commerce, is governed by the almighty pound sign, if it isn't a recognised and successful formula they won't go out on a limb to try it, a sickener for people like you considering some of the crap they do publish.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Lee

Sounds like a great book, can't wait for the film to come out..!

Fred

Thanks for that

Mark

If I wanted someone's opinion,I'd ask for it. If Medlar/Waterlog have hada problem with forums then they should get over it and move on. Not spitting feathers, I just hate being patronised, and as for burning bridges, pass the petrol and matches....!

F

Frothey

i think Mark frequents anglersnet.co.uk.... or at least did.

if you can get hold of the books, i think you'd enjoy them - especially the later ones.

W

Wolfman Woody

"Burn all your books from Medlar Press.....!"

Kevin, I would dearly love to support you wholeheartedly, but to do the above I'm afraid I would find impossible. Namely because I ain't got any so it's going to be a cold winter for us this year.

Then again, I could order a load of their books and them cancel them at the last minute. That would teach them a lesson.

/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Jeff

I have a plan, it involves a nom-de-plume such as Charles Sodbury (v.subtle play on words that will only have meaning to those who know of the villages a little way north of Bath...) a tonsorial arrangement that leaves me more in need of polish than a hair brush, and a trip to the tailors to get kitted out in some baggy tweeds.

Thus equipped, and strolling around with a cane rod in my hand and sucking on a briar, a certain publishing house (others are available) will print everything I write, even if it's just a shopping list...........