Why oh why?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
During my recent visit to Malaysia I visited a large tackle shop. While browsing through the reels, I noticed that each and every one of them had a front rather than rear drag.

It was a joy to handle these reels, little beauties costing less than a tenner with silky smooth drags, not a hint of jerkyness. Very different from most rear drags which are jerky and to be frank, crap.

I remember when rear drags became popular, some 25-30yearsago, the theory stated was that you could adjust the drag during the fight without touching the line. What a load ofrubbish!!

Isit just fashion that states we must have rear drags reels in the U.K., or does anyone actually believe they are better than front drags?

njb51

Reaction score
I own many of both types and neither have ever caused any trouble.

Red Army

Reaction score
I only use front drag reels for the reasons you've mentioned above and many people I see on the banks also use exclusively front drag again mostly because they are smooth and precise compared to their cr@ppy rear drag equivalent...so I'm not so sure where you got the impression that rear drags were fashionable or widely used in the UK?

Stephan

Reaction score
Am I so out of touch? I know I haven`t fished much for ages but I do intend to get going again soon

I still have Mitchell reels and I used to set the drag to strike but then kicked itoff and played on the handle-of course I could be talking rubbish

And I don`t mind if I am-I`m far too old and ugly to be offended by good advice

W

Wolfman Woody

The rear drags on some of my best reels are pretty good without doubt. Smooth and with no hint of jerkiness. However, I think most of my reels now have front drags and the are absolutely perfect to use.

I think there was a time when cheap front drag reels were pretty awful and that's being kind. Then along came Abu with the Cardinals and they were a class apart - at the time. Now, it's all change once more and even the cheaper end of the front drags are great.

Chris Spreckley

Reaction score
Yesterday 23:25
Glint,

Suggest you try the very latest upmarket FD., reels with one way roller bearings. I can tell you now that you are going to surprised; nay very shocked!

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

When playing a fish I use the rear drag, and if the reel has one the baitrunner, onlyas a last resort.

I prefer touse friction to limit the amount of line a fighting fish can take by applying my finger to the rotating head or spool of the reel.

The reason I prefer to do things manually rather than relying on a mechanical device is that is that the manual methodallows me to react very quickly and to apply very precise amounts ofpressure.

If you are happier using a slipping clutch (drag) then good luck to you.

My advice to any angler would be to use whichever method youprefer and ignore anyone that tells youone method is better than the other.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
My Abu's are front drag, my Shimano's are rear drag, i prefer rear drag by a mile but both reels have spot on perfect drag, faultless.

In regards to backwinding, i used to do that alot, that was until i latched onto a big Carp and it nearly broke my hand, you cant backwind a big Carp that decides it wants to get to the opposite side of the lake in 2 seconds flat... you really need a solid top notch clutch for that... or splints for your broken fingers.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Mate of mine demonstrated the smoothness of his front drag Daiwa reels that he uses for barbel fishing the other day...they make a rear drag baitrunner feel like a Lada by comparison.

I'd swap my shimano's for front drag Daiwa's right now if I got the chance; they are SWEET!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
Having been bought up on intrepids and then mitchells.........all i can say is there are some damn good reels of both types about, i have no troubles with any of mine.

Pins are from the past! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Stephan

Reaction score
OK-this is just plain rude and has no place here but it`s snowing.

I found the training my fingers got when playing a good fish(pressure on the spool)came in handy later on at night/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Dr Stephan Burridge wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I found the training my fingers got when playing a good fish(pressure on the spool)came in handy later on at night/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
I stop the spool with my tongue! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Dr Stephan Burridge wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I found the training my fingers got when playing a good fish(pressure on the spool)came in handy later on at night/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
Are we talking sensitivity of touch Stephan, or are we referring tojudicious use ofthe callouson your finger end?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif