What size reel would you use?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I use Shimano 6000's with 1.5 TC rods, i really like that setup.

That said, i would probably equally like 5000's just the same.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Clive Moore 2 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

no river fishing, just stillwater carping for me.

P.S. Andy, CAN NOT STAND backwinding, it is awful and gets on my nerves if its swithed on /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif....../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

thanks forALL replies</blockquote>

Try the river Clive; I promise you you'll never go back to fishing "puddles"!!!

With you on the back winding mate; reels have a clutch for a reason...why have a dog and bark yourself?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Thinking about it; if your're fishing floaters you'ld be better with a smaller (lighter) reel as you will be fishing with the rod in your hand most of the time.

E

Eric Hayes

For Barbel on the spate rivers I fish Iuse Shimano 3500B's. Some People will think they are largeand heavy &initially I did but now I won't use anything else for my Barbel andPike fishing. In realitythey are only a few grams heavier than the 6000GTE they replaced. The 3500Bis one uglyreel but itwill crank back far more weight without literally whining about it than the 6000& from what I can tell they are going to be doing it for years.Ihave them on my 1.75lb and2.4lb Barbel rods and wouldn't swap them for anything. I've usedAero's in the 5000 and 6000 sizes and for sheer cranking power they beat them hands down, although I dolike the 5000when I'm using lighter linesfor Chub, Perch andsuch. What I've found iswhen using heavy line (10lb+) the smallerspools on the 5000 cause most lines to curl,it could be just me but I don't likecurly line. The bigger spools on the 6000 are betterat handlingheavier lines.

I suppose It's horses for courses reallyandnot every one will agree what is the best specimen sized reel but for themoney the 3500B's get my vote.

On they other hand If they are only gonna be usedevery now and again and not on a flooded river thats carrying fridge freezers and discarded farm equipment through your swim than I would go for the cheaper REor whatever Shimano have named the latest incarnation of their budget model of the 6000 baitrunner.

Long winded I know but I had to get it off my chest....

keith boxall 2

Reaction score
can u help me. i may have to do a little bit of spod work. i have carp rods 2and3 quarter test curb .15 pound main line. got myself small spod rocket. will i need a shock leader.?hoping to cast about 60 yards.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
The newer Shimano's are ST RA available in both 6000 and 10000 sizes, i have 2 of the 6000's and they are amazing at the price, certainly dont feel like 'budget' to me, it says 'baitrunner' on the logo and thats exactly what they are, nothing less.

I agree that maybe i wouldnt want to crank in fridge freezers with them but for big Bream and Tench on the feeder (with eventhe occasional nuisance fish)they should be heavenly.

Keith, this is 100% not intended to sound rude but if you created your own thread you may get better joy with an answer to your question, welcome to the forum by the way.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

The difference in price and weightbetween a 5000 and a 10000 baitrunner is about 20%.

You can get cheaper model 10000 baitrunners from as little as £60.

Applying frictionto a rotating spool is obviously far harder thanusing a mechanical deviceto apply friction to the spindle but if done well it is far more effective giving you total control.

If I need moreor less friction it is there for me instinctively rather than me having to fiddle with the drag knob.

Keith you do need a leader like these:

http://www.gerrysfishing.co.uk/shop_details.asp?productID=8720&tabID=1

E

Eric Hayes

Ho, and did I mention the drag? Sublime.

Andy, them sure is purdy reels friend! do they Squeal like a pig? go on make em Squeal like a piggy for me...Wee! Wee! Wee!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif