What size reel would you use?

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
i didnt want to post another thread like this, as i find they get mostly ignored and pop up all the time, so sorry.

BUT, i would really like to know what size reel (shimano baitrunner to be specific) you would use for a barbel/specimen rod. the rod i will use it for is a greys prodigy specimen, 1.5 and 2lb tips. anyway, i am considering one of shimanos cheaper BR's i.e. the RE orST's, as i cant afford to step it up to the "NICE" models/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif. i feel these look alright and will probably stand up to some floater bashing well. i was thinking the 4000 or 5000 size?????? to match/balance withthe rod nice, which is good and slim. not quite sure though.

any recommendations will be appriciated, cheers!

Reaction score
Clive

Go for the 5000 size, most folks do.

I have 6000 size shimanos for my barbel fishing, but only because I got them for £52 each. I have Greys Prodigy rods too and would be perfect with 5000.

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
cheers, just thought, you cant get 4000 size shimanoBR's can you?! should think and check before i post.....BERK!/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
Matt, have you got prodigy barbels, with the 6000's, would you say that 5000 would suit me better????

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I also use 5010s though the slipping clutches leave a lot to be desired

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
5010, what are they??????? just a little bigger than 5000's. sorry i havenot reallyresearched or notedsizes and measurments etc except test curve/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

The Sogster

Reaction score
Clive for 5010's read 5000. When Shimano first made the baitrunner they came in sizes labeled 4010, 5010, 6010 and 8010. They have since 'rounded' down the model number.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Yes Clive.

Like I say, I bought the 6000s because they were a bargain, but 5000s would be better.</blockquote>

I'm with Matt; get 5000's (or 5010's)but don't turn down 6000's if they'reat the right price...don't pay more than £35 for RE's and they want to be in good nick for that. If your patient you will pick up a GTE for £40 - £50 quid...a much better reel.

I've just got hold of a Grey's barbel rof myself Clive (twin top 1.25 / 1.75lb tc); not had a fish on it yet but I've heard they have a nice action.

I've used a pair of 5010's for the last ten or so years with no problems...through necessity (budgetary restraints like yourself!)used the same reels to fish for barbel, pike and carp.

Teamed with the Grey's rod you'll have a nice river set up there Clive...enjoy!/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Reaction score
the 6000s I have are Aero GTE 6000B - so they were a bargain at £52 new.

Yes, they're a bit bigger than the 5000 but they can't half crank a big lead in.

I also have a fox flood rod 2.75 that's good for 8oz of lead, so they work well with those.

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
i dont intend to use my greys rod for anything but freelineing mixerhaha/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

no, i may use it with light leads as another carp rod if its needed.

Tony, its called the prodigy specimen isnt it, with the two tips....yeah i got the one up from it 1.5 and 2lb tops like i said....got it today and want to baptise it with a nice carp soon. i really hope the action is nice, all the way through to the butt, no stiff broomstick style stuff/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gifive put a 6000 size reel on now for a bit, but my mate might ahve an ancient baitrunner in 5010 he said, which will be cool!

W

Wolfman Woody

I have a 4000 that I would use on light rods, 1-1½lbs and an old 3500 (same as 5000 now) that I use on 1½-2lbs rods.

However, sometimes, I use Daiwa's - Capricorn or big Regals 3500, front drag, no baitrunner and sometimes I just use a centrepin. A reel is just for storing line on, the size is more to match the weight and strength of the rod.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Forget how the reel looks whenattached to your rod and choose a reel that will really do what you need it to do.

I use Shimano XTE10000's when fishing with my 1 3/4 lbHarrisons. The larger spool size lets you cast miles, take less time on the retrieve, avoid line coil when using mono and they are easy to play fish on the backwind.

IfI dont need a baitrrunner or to fish at distanceI use much smaller reels but with low retrieve ratio's to avoid line twist and help with backwinding. My reel of choice then would beShimano 3000 X Match.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I use a 6000 gte on my specimen for floater work with a surface missile on the river after barbel i use 5000 gte as i do not need the distance,

As you are only freelining the 5000 should be ok.

edit

forgot to ask were you are based mate.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
I'm with Matt on this. I use a Shimano 5000 Aero RE on my barbel rods and I have absolutely no problem with them. Obviously if you are fishing big rivers like the tidal Trent you would up-size your rod's test curve and line bs and 6000s would be a better option. But for 'normal' Avon and Thames use, the 5000s are cock on.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Wolfman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I have a 4000 that I would use on light rods, 1-1½lbs and an old 3500 (same as 5000 now) that I use on 1½-2lbs rods.

However, sometimes, I use Daiwa's - Capricorn or big Regals 3500, front drag, no baitrunner and sometimes I just use a centrepin. A reel is just for storing line on, the size is more to match the weight and strength of the rod.</blockquote>
Is that the one with the fighting drag (GTM?) I've always fancied one of those

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Phil Lambert wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I'm with Matt on this. I use a Shimano 5000 Aero RE on my barbel rods and I have absolutely no problem with them. Obviously if you are fishing big rivers like the tidal Trent you would up-size your rod's test curve and line bs and 6000s would be a better option. But for 'normal' Avon and Thames use, the 5000s are cock on.</blockquote>

Phil, I've only ever fished the Trent with 5010's; never let me down once. Just got a Shimano GTE-B...not christened it with a whiskers yet but first impressions are that its an improvement on my 5010's.

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
no river fishing, just stillwater carping for me.

Andy, i know its not how it looks (unless it is hideous!), BUT cant afford a really nice reel.

ive put an old 6000 size reel i had and it seems alright and balanced ok, shall try it tommorow /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. i will probably later get a shimano BR of some sort. though.

Bryan, i am in Dorset, spose i should take advantage of the Stour.......yes?/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

P.S. Andy, CAN NOT STAND backwinding, it is awful and gets on my nerves if its swithed on /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif....../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

thanks forALL replies