The New FishingMagic

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="quoteheader">Wiktor z Polski/Dr. Wodka wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class="quote">Now, more seriously, (don't know if anybody mention this before in the thread) wouldn't be a good idea to have a vote before we get rid of somebody from FM. As we all know,quite a lot of people including myself were not happy(to say it politely) about getting rid of Baz from FM.Perhaps if we all could not vote yes or no then we could have a panel of long term members that could have final decision.</blockquote>

It wouldn't work because you don't see the private correspondence that passes between myself and the person who is under consideration for deleting from the site.Unless you know the full story you can't make a realistic judgement. Which is why we still get the odd plea from someone for an ex member of FM, which wouldn't happen if you knew the full story.

Considering there have been only about half a dozen members deleted from FM in the past 10 years it hardly warrants a vote each time a deletion is being considered.

Incidentally, I wasn't happy about getting rid of anyone from FM. But some things have to be done for the overall good of the site.

Wiktor z Polski/Dr. Wodka

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"No Wiktor, it wouldn't."

We currently have 3 moderators in addition to the managing editor here on FM.

If you are unhappy with the way we carry out the moderation duties then please feel free to detail your concerns, and if proved fair and right, then I for one will be happy to stand down.</blockquote>

My concerns were As i put it in my last post Peter, as why baz was nock of the fm when some people do use bad launguge anyway and do abuse others,if you do it more directly or less its stiil the same.I only been 12months with Fm,dont know the time before mine and can`t comment on that time.I have meet Baz few times and found him very very helpful,perhaps too open with his vious and expression, that take it wrong way, will hurt someone.

My self had and still do have some hassle on the bank and fm, because my accent and we all aware of some of the thick and abusive comments were posted on the forum.I have not heard of anybody was expel for that and yes i did not complain because its a forum not quite real life form.

I take a point of graham with the pm and etc stuff that i wold not know about.

Apart of this one incident with Baz, (I know he did and still do a lot more good stuff for angling then most of us) I only am more then happy with the ones that run the FM site and I dont want anybody to stand down,I could not do this job better myself.

Shine

Reaction score
Have a for sale or swap forum for fishing gear only. (Private sales only).

I dont think people look at the second hand items for sale enough on fm.

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
Another idea is to allow you to list specific other members in your profile and you are notified when they post something.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Shine, that will certainly be a feature of the new forum, for both trade and private classified ads.

Shine

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know Graham.

Will trade and private ads be together or will they have their own forum/link?

Dave

Windy

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Stickfloater wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It's great as it is - doesn't need changing /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Y'know I think you might have a point there.

We, the contributors, lurkers and background backbone non-posting readers are all here because the environment for the forum to succeed has been developed by Darwinian selection and that which works has suceeded. That which doesn't has gone by the board. If it works don't change it.

Worse, don't change it in response to Q&A's with focus groups and the extreme minority of those of us who do in fact ever post.

Again, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Could you have a built in breathalyser/editor for when Windy posts late at night after he's been imbibing in copious amounts of the amber nectar .....

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Sticky" listing of recent aricles on forum?

I have the "Forum - latest posts" bookmarked, and enter the FM site that way, so I often miss the Home Page and the fact that there are some great articles on here - unless they are followed up in the forum discussions.

I suspect I am not alone.

Any chance of a reminder of recent input being stuck to the top of the Latest Posts page?

A suitably adjusted version could be attached to each of the forum topic areas' front pages, too...

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
I use the site in the same way as you Alan and your suggestion is great. I'd have a small sidebar (like the ones currently used for ads and profile info) with say the five most recent articles that have been uploaded. This way it would be easier to keep on top of if youre a forum lurker for sure!

Hey Joe

Reaction score
Hi.

May I add my bit by saying I am overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of the members of FM and long may the format that creates & generates such continue.

Sorry I do not knowmuch about the fools lantern and it's workings (PC's)but I enjoy the jests and the informative discussions within FM.

To All Many Thanks.

Heyjoe (Greg)

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
So far about FM thanks to the guys who have been helpful in my previous questions & hope we can continue to do this in the future especially on the barbel forum area.

Cheers guys.

Regards,

William

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
On the tackle reviews pages, if there isn't a picture, members should be able to add a picture to the item. A lot of the items in the database don't have a picture so this would be a good addition.

BapAndFuro

Big Sky

Reaction score
After being off FM for about 6 months (pc hassle) and back for a month I must say it,s as good as ever was worryed when heard it had been sold but all is well ,one very happy camper it,s hard to improve on the best. keep up the good work Graham.

BS/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Catfishingham

Reaction score
I love this site, terrific information and helpful members, don't see where it needs much changing. One thing I would like to see would be a glossary of fishing terms, (Would be helpful to newbies and us blokes in the U.S.A who don't understand the "Kings English"). /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Richard Keiper wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>(Would be helpful to newbies and us blokes in the U.S.A who don't understand the "Kings English"). /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

The last King died in 1952, a very sad day!

Since when we have had a Queen and a Prince Consort. Unless it's Nancy Reagan talking in which case it is, in fact, "King Philip". Wasn't just old Ronnie loosing his marbles after all.

Pole - in US, a rod usually fixed with a reel

Pole in UK - a long tube fished with no reel, but in it's place an elastic is fitted inside the end. A length of line is fastened to the elastic, which carries a float and shots and terminating in a hook.

Float fishing - in USA, usually fishing from a boat

Float fishing - in UK, using a 'bobber' to indicate bites.

any more?

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
Bait-casters that are not used for casting bait, but are used for casting lures instead. So a 'bait' in the states is usually an artificial lure - unless it's 'cut-bait' which is a piece of fish. Then there are spinning reels that are more often used for casting bait than spinners, and spinners are found in fly-boxes and... oh my head hurts. Why can't they just speak proper English like wot I does!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

klik2change

Reaction score
Well said Wiktor. Lets hope thosewith axes to grindwill noteyour tolerant and open minded response [provided they understand it].

Tight lines mate!

Chris