The New FishingMagic

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Yes, but you cant get married here at 13, until some blonker comes up with the idea of letting parents getting married no matter how old.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Now's your chance to give us your feedback about FishingMagic - what you like and what you don't like.

And to tell us what you would like to see more of and less of when FM is built on a new platform. What works for you and what doesn't.

Think about the entire site - news, articles, reviews, gallery, forums, etc, etc - and let us know on this thread what improvements you would like to see.

Think about how you navigate the site, give us links to sites (not necessarily fishing sites) that you think are models of what you think are best.

All your opinions are valuable to us and now you have a chance to help change things for the better before the new site is designed and constructed.

Your views on the new FM onthis thread please.

Thanks for your help.

Theseare our sister sites Fish&Fly.comand Flyforums.co.uk</blockquote>

i'm a member on flyforums because of the ewewash restoration project thread & classic angling section (coarse fishing) it uses Vbulletin boards software which is easy enough too use (they have experiance of running this so its the logical choice ) navigation is easy enough as it usually takes the standard layout but its highly customisable with loads of features

the ability to post video (youtube etc) is almost a must for todays angling forums ,

making the forums link direct too members own photobucket accounts to facilitate the posting of pictures directly from the text/post editer from photobucket via a click of a button as on yuku forums sites http://help.yuku.com/help20/index.php/Adding_Photobucket_Images_to_Posts

http://help.yuku.com/help20/index.php/WYSIWYG_Post_Editor

baitbox could (its easy with Vbulitin boards) become a private sellect members only section

just about everything we allready have on Fm is part of Vbulitin anyway ,and can even be skinned too look like this forums style and colour scheme ,layout (well a close approxiation of it ) for those who don't take too change too well

Day Breamer

Reaction score
I do think it could either be...

A. Compulsory to complete your public profile before you can post on the forums.

or

B. Have an area (or areas) where you can only visit if you have completed your public profile first.

That way theres an incentive to people to complete their profile without making them feel pressured to have to do it.

Just an idea.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I can understand the idea of profiles being completed, BUT if somebody wishes to remain anonymous for what ever reason the profile may well become a work of fiction. Just a thought.

Yours

Anon.

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Wolfman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul Williams 11 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

But we, IF we are to give real comaparative tests shouldn't give a damn what the manufacturers think!!</blockquote>

I was thinking more in terms of them providing the stuff knowing full well that it would be compared to other manufacturer's products and them not liking the idea of NOT being the recommended brand.

Unless McWallet is going <u>to buy all the gear himself.</u>

Of don't make me laugh, my lips are chapped, don't make me laugh....... /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif </blockquote>

Perhaps, Woody we should take on a bigger role? by we i mean those of us who use the site?

But perhaps not.....how could we get the right balance? you only have to look at the barbel rod thread to see that we anglersmay not agree on what is best......................i remember yourself raving over some very expensive rods allegedly from an old British manufacterer whilst i just thought them OK rods from the far east hyped up to the extreem.

Then there is the gear the tarts will never touch and some would never review because they would never sully their name with them at such low cost......Shaky for one?.......amongst the crap rodsthey come up with some crackers, Sundridge (clothing) for another.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

One thing that was noted by Richard Hewitt, was the fact that most of the Fishing Magic members do fill in the public profile anddo use their real names. Richard voiced his surprise at this, as certainly with the vast majority of posts and threads started on Fly Forums, you don't know who the heck you are dealing with!

This is something I am quite passionate about in actual fact. I do like to know who it isthat is posting,especially on a controversial topic. The people that hide behind pseudonyms and "chose to keep their identities secret" give me the impression that theylack the courage of their convictions.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh and by the way Graham.

What about a thread title under the name of "Fly Fishing"?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Oh and by the way Graham.

What about a thread title under the name of "Fly Fishing"?</blockquote>
We've already got 'Game Fishing' Ron and now two sister websites dedicated to fly fishing, and although all will operate independantly the three sites will hopefully complement each other.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>EC wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I'd like to see a active 'regional' sections.</blockquote>
How would that workEddie, sounds interesting.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that fred?

I've had quite a few invites to come and have a go for the big Trent roach.

Anyway Graham, has anyone mentioned prizes yet? Lots of em! Don't want expensive barbel rods and stuff like that. I remember winning that Kryston goodie box and it meant the world to me, the line and pva bags lasted ages. Lots of little prizes "tackle bits and bobs" are much better than one expensive rod or reel.

And I would just like to add, what a fantastic and handsome managing editor you are /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

lol

I know some time back Graham was looking into perhaps a scheme along the lines of Fox or Drennan.

Perhaps a monthly would be good, no great shakes, some fun along the way and perhaps a prize.

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Who told him?</blockquote>
He talks in his sleep /forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The only problem with game fishing Graham is that it covers all types of angling for what are considered to be game species, ie: trout, salmon and maybe grayling.

A fly fishing section would cover fly fishing in all its aspects and for all species.

slime monster

Reaction score
Recently a thread was put out regarding members meeting up if they lived close enough ,if all members filled in the profile is there a way to show a member how many others and who live in his areaie sw ? ,could it be done by ticking a box in the profile with the option of privacy?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Just for you Ron, I've changed the Game forum to the Fly fishing forum in the game section.

Wol,a big fish competition of some sortcould still be a goer.

And Steve, competitions of all kinds will figure highly in the plans.

Ed, regional sections may be something for the future. Post a thread with more detail of exactly what you mean.

All suggestions (well, the fishing ones/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif) will be considered.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Just for Mr Spiller but anyone can add a youtube video as easy as this!
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="350"><param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2A8-1N3D7Ic" /><param name="width" value="425" /><param name="height" value="350" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2A8-1N3D7Ic" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>