The New FishingMagic

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Mike, why don't you and anyone else on the new team come along to this.It will be a great chance to meet some of the regular members and hopefully get a kipper or two.

Clattercote 2009

Its more of a social than a match so do not be put off.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Cakey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Im not looking for a row but it amazes me that members with up to a couple of hundred posts want to alter the site

it works superbhow it is .............................</blockquote>

I dont think its about 'altering', its perhaps more about making subtle improvements, and we was originally asked to give feedback on this.

some of the replies have been very good so far, and dare i say it buta fewof those have come from people with a lowish forumpost count.

Whilst i 100% agree that the forum workssuperb how it is (its easily the best fishing forum around) i do think that any small additions and/or minor improvements can only be a good thing and may makethe siteeven more enjoyable/accessible.

Like yourself i do not want a row, buti think your post was unfair, especially as it was aimed towards people with a low forum post count (of which there are many).

Windy

Reaction score
The more people who decide to post for the first time and stop being just lurkers the better IMHO, and all these disparaging comments about low forum posts + the pathetically childish grandstanding we had about whose p**** (posts ? perhaps....) were the biggest six months or so ago didn't help*.

Remember, WE WERE ALL NEWBIES AND FIRST POSTERS ONCE !

And if we want the site to grow we need lurkers to feel confident about posting without being made to feel small.

Junior section damned good idea btw, plus perhaps a national junior match for FM junior members ? Ten different venues all over the country fished simultaneously, with a (travel expenses sponsored) final match for the ten regional winners ? I'd happily try and help organise anything for juniors, its the future of the sport. Plus a junior ladies cup, to be presented by one of our fragrant FM shield maidens perhaps..... Claudia ? Wendy ? Cakey in his tranny gear ?

* In retrospect I wish I had spoken out against the post counter thingy being introduced, I didn't because I didn't know how it would work out one way or the other. But we do now, it didn't work out well. At all. If Bob Nudd decided to chime in here and make a first post would we be justified in dissing his advice just because of his post count ? And how many posts do some of the worst offenders have..... ? Never confuse quantity with quality.

GreyFox

Reaction score
Profiles should be left as is.....

never put stuff on t'internet you wouldn't want to see scrawled on a wall near yer house..

age is already accounted for in member details (sign-up)..

birthdates/addresses are magnets for ID thieves..

also, yer job may require/or it may be safest to be a little anonymous..

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Windy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The more people who decide to post for the first time and stop being just lurkers the better IMHO, and all these disparaging comments about low forum posts + the pathetically childish grandstanding we had about whose p**** (posts ? perhaps....) were the biggest six months or so ago didn't help*.

Remember, WE WERE ALL NEWBIES AND FIRST POSTERS ONCE !

And if we want the site to grow we need lurkers to feel confident about posting without being made to feel small.

Junior section damned good idea btw, plus perhaps a national junior match for FM junior members ? Ten different venues all over the country fished simultaneously, with a (travel expenses sponsored) final match for the ten regional winners ? I'd happily try and help organise anything for juniors, its the future of the sport. Plus a junior ladies cup, to be presented by one of our fragrant FM shield maidens perhaps..... Claudia ? Wendy ? Cakey in his tranny gear ?

* In retrospect I wish I had spoken out against the post counter thingy being introduced, I didn't because I didn't know how it would work out one way or the other. But we do now, it didn't work out well. At all. If Bob Nudd decided to chime in here and make a first post would we be justified in dissing his advice just because of his post count ? And how many posts do some of the worst offenders have..... ? Never confuse quantity with quality. </blockquote>
My sentiments entirely Windy but far more eloquently put than I would dare to attempt/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
The counters mean bo didly......if we have had to rejoin for one thing or another we are back to 0.......they just become a strutting thing and whilst i like having a laff with the rest.....it's possible to post a 1000 times with out the posts being related to fishing in any shape or form......i to think they should go.

I personaly don't like the idea of a new posters section...i think we should make them more welcome and get them straight into chat............why single anyone out in a good conversation?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Paul, the new posters section has proven to be a good thing as it's encouraged a lot more 'newbies' to post. What it does is say to a newbie, "here you are, here's a section made especially for you, where youcan introduce yourself and receive a warm welcome from existing members."

And that's exactly what's happened as it's much less daunting for the less outgoing types to take their first steps on a new forum by diving into the deep end. It's why most forums have a newbie's section.

Another thing is that the new FM is very unlikely to look much like it does now. Even when it belonged to Magicalia I was pushing for it to be redesigned. The navigation isn't the best there isand it's beginning to look tired.

The Fish and Fly web designers made the sites in the links below. This will give you some idea of the basis for the new design:

Fishandfly.com/uk

Fishandfly.com/usa

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with lurking. I was a lurker for quite a while prior to posting. (And I would bet some people on here wishIstill was).

I like the site pretty much as it is . I find there is a good overall balance.Occasionally there is a bit of conflict, but this can be a good thingas it can cause you to think and re-evaluate your own views on a subject, whether fishing related of not. There is an old saying: If it ain't broken, it don't need fixing.

When I first posted I did so on the Newbie section and was made welcome by the regulars.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>GreyFox wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Profiles should be left as is.....

never put stuff on t'internet you wouldn't want to see scrawled on a wall near yer house..

age is already accounted for in member details (sign-up)..

birthdates/addresses are magnets for ID thieves..</blockquote>

I don't want people personal details like that, just nice to see what type of fishing they enjoy the most and whereabouts they live so if they ask for local advice, you don't waste your time describing something at the other end of the country.

My mate Jarka Ibaronki from Nigeria wouldn't mind seeing some addesses and bank details as well, mind.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Don't like people defacing walls either.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Wolfman wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

My mate Jarka Ibaronki from Nigeria wouldn't mind seeing some addesses and bank details as well, mind. </blockquote>

I thought he played for Arsenal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a lot of nonsense is talked about ID fraud. Your details are on the Electoral Roll and other details can be gleaned from the net. I don't see why you should want to hide your name or fishing preferences.<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Paul, the new posters section has proven to be a good thing as it's encouraged a lot more 'newbies' to post. What it does is say to a newbie, "here you are, here's a section made especially for you, where youcan introduce yourself and receive a warm welcome from existing members."</blockquote>
I can see what you mean Graham, but i always feel it better to welcome anewcommer who has something to add to a discussion straight into the "heat".......but i accept that some like an easier routeto get in the flow, and at least both ways are there.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I had a look at those fishandfly sites and I would say they are different but not necessarily better, they also look abit bland and would benefit from a bit of colour to create impact.

To my mind the basic essential of a site is ease of navigation, there is nothing more off-putting than a site that doesn't have easily understood links to its contents. The next essential, but no less important, is a well organised search facility something which fishingmagic isn't really good at though it has improved somewhat recently. One word search facilties don't really cut the mustard it would be much improved by a phrase search in the manner of google for instance, a bit hard to organise no doubt but not impossible I would have thought.

B

Bully

Not been able to get on FM much recently (although had a fab day on the Itchen Day).

So my advice re improving FM is pretty straight forward.......

Keep as-is, keep the moderators doing their job, ban any discussion about bloody barbel wars (i.e. society etc), keep Cakeys feet off the site, in fact keep Cakey off the site /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, and shoot Wol.

Job done!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Hows about a "For sale" and maybe a combined "Does anyone have" section as part of the forum links? I am 100% sure that it would be popular and I know nearly all of us require items and have items we no longer need at some point. I know we havea sale sectionalready but it isn't 'in your face' and if it was part of the forum I would suggest it would be more used than it is now.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
My name is Steph, i am 40 years old, i live in Staffordshire, i'm married with a young son and i love fishing. Now if i want to stay anonymous i will do so, if people would like to get to know me better then they can ask me and if i feel comfortable giving them that information then i will.

Now back to the debate.

I think a thread for Youngsters would be a great idea so long as it is strictly policed, and there private details are kept private. Call me paranoid but you never know.

Video clips is an excellent idea as some replies although they are extremely informative sometimes they just shoot straight over the top of my head.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif