Angling MP Salter to Stand Down

J

Jim Crosskey 2

The problem with slagging off MPs is that someone has to do it. For some people, working a 90 hour seven day week is fair enough if their going to get their hands on what they see attractive, i.e. power - so they'll work their way up through the political machine, learning the tricks from the old dogs until one day their toadying pays off and they get a chance to take a step or two up the ladder, and this continues till they either fail miserably or succeed and end up in parliament. They live what most of us would consider to be a miserable existence, because the amount of toadying (working) they need to put in is in direct relation to how far they want to get, and the vast majority want to get as far as they can.

What about the money? Well,personally I don't want thatexisitence at any price because I want my kids to recognise mewhen I come through the door - and i want to go fishing, and watch the rugby at the weekend, and go out now and then etc etc...

(incidentally, I'm not saying we should be sympathetic. Mostly they're vermin)

However, personally speaking, I alwaysfelt Martin Salter was a little bitdifferent to the type described above, as hisinterest inrepresenting angling has always been something he's kept to the fore. I sincerely hope he goes on to some other role within angling, with the trust or wherever.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
God, you are a cynical lot. Give the guy a break.

I dont know too much about Martin Salters' work as anconstituency MP , but he has certainly been the first voice in the House of Commons to stand up and defend Angling against the some of the ignorant, politically correct hogwash spoken by some of his colleagues.

Lets hope Martin puts his potitical accumen to good use with the Trust and continues to lobby on behalf of angling in general.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The trouble is Peter, he is tarred with the same brush as the rest of them who are consistently voted as the most untrustworthy people in the land and they worked hard to get that accolade! Almost without exception they are in it for what they can get out of it and don't give a toss for the citizens of this country.

Perhaps he will prove me and others wrong and do some good for angling now with the A.T. I hope so anyway.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
That'sthe thing with me Greg...I only deal in black and white

I hate this government with a passion that has no equal and although Mr Salter has shown some positives towards our sport he is still responsible by association to the greatest F*ck up any political party has ever achieved in our lifetime.

He is an MP and as such would sell each and everyone of us down the river just to get another ounce of power.

He and his fellow pigs havn't broken sweat intheir job for god knows how long but are they looking at redundancy,negative equity, outsourced replacements....Nah...They are like pigs in shit

The entire labour populace of Westminster should be machine gunned along with the bankers.

And 'why' would he make a great addition to the angling trust .....He is a politician ...horse trading and lies are all they deal in. We would get nothing of any worth without giving something up in return...

I would be better at the job than him...Somebody says they are going to drain 25,000 hectares of wetland...I get some nice men to tell them that is a bad idea...terminally bad

Somebody says that a certain amount of chemical stuff that makes things drop off in sewage is ok...I get some nice men to make them drink it...they change their minds

Anyway...lets not talk politics...going for another beer

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Lee Swords wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Anyway...lets not talk politics...going for another beer</blockquote>
It's midweek, you're powers are weak old man!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Wow, Lee what a rant. Anyone who can get so angry about politicians needs a bit of help himself!

I wonder if any of you actually know any politicians personally? For my sins I do as my wife works part time for our local MP and I while I dont always agree with what he says, nor the way he often HAS to vote on certain issues I have no doubts about his committment or energy on behaf of his constituents.He works incredibly long hours and sits on a number of special interest groups and committeeswhich demand even more of his time, yet overall he is paid a lot less than a fat Cat in the City.

I know where you are coming from Graham, but for those who denegrade the current democratic system of government I ask you, what would you replace it with? An all powerful President? A dictatorship?

Just imagine the country run by 'angry Adolf' Swords! He'd open up the concentration camps again for anyonewho holdsthe opposing view (black or white) to him!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Anyone that can get so angry about politicians needs help himself....

Have you looked out of the frikkin' window lately?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
And lets be honest...This recession we are in is totally and utterly man-made.

This is the recession of greed

And yes I have met quite a few politicians and found the vast majority to be self serving insidious mercant bankers that I wouldn't trust with running a village fete never mind a country.

I met Martin Salter at Holme Pierre point a few years ago (Greg was there as well) and I found him to be evasive and lacking charisma.

As for concentration camps...Yes I would re-open them...yes I would execute thousands...and yes the country would be better for it...Why is Ian Brady still alive anyway?

Son of Meldrew

Reaction score
Just been reading the anti-MP comments - thought you might like this:

Someone (a non-angler, as it happens) once said this about the Parliamentary system:

"After four years...when the dissolution of the parliamentary bodies begins to loom closer and closer, an unconquerable urge suddenly comes over the gentlemen (MPs). Just as a caterpillar cannot help turning into a butterfly, these parliamentary larvae leave their parliamentary cocoonsand, endowed with wings, fly out among the beloved people..."

Then, once re-elected: "...the man of the people and the candidate of the working classes turns himself back into the parliamentary caterpillar and again fattens on the foliage of State life, and again after four years turns back into a gleaming butterfly..."

Very nicely put, I thought! No doubt many of you will be nodding and agreeing.

The writer was actually talking about the Germansystem in the 1920s.

And his name was.......

You've guessed it - Adolf Hitler.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Bishop wrote</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I know where you are coming from Graham, but for those who denegrade the current democratic system of government I ask you, what would you replace it with? An all powerful President? A dictatorship?</blockquote>

Do away with party politics for a start, the ridiculous situation where the interests of 'the party' are more crucial than the interests of the country, if necessary do away with parties altogether.

Voterepresentatives in for 3 years with the option to kick them out if they prove to be useless, timewasters, self serving or incompetent, without recompense. Positions of national importance filled with people who are skilled in the task they take on, know what they are talking about and whose judgement can be trusted.

Thats a start Peter.

Oh! and Graham Marsden for president - /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Oh, Lee you are such an angry young man.

When you become an aging old git like me you'll realise you cannot change anything really. The system is what it is and you just have to work around it as politicians do.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sorry my last post should have been on another thread, or has someone deleted a post?

Politics, not meant to be talking about it are we?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I wish I was young....

Middle aged I am afraid.

I do not think anyone should lay down quietly and accept thier fate in silence...I had a girlfriend like that once...she didn't last long at all....It was like doing it with a sack of spuds.

Politicians have power because of people like that ex of mine...

I like French people....They scream bite scratch and howl at the moonif the price of a shallot goes up by even a cent...they burn cars and throw petrol bombs if an English chicken makes it onto the supermarket shelves in front of a french one...

President Sarkozy and his wife would be dragged into the street and machine gunned if the french government tried to do some of the stunts ours do...

Anrchy is the force behind evolution

And before we go commending Martin Salter for his great work over the last 10 years lets think about this

1. How many fish ladders have been installed on he Trent, Thames, Severn, Don or any other river you can name....Not that many

2. How many rivers have been dredged to allow greater access by boats

3. How many times have we had major pollution incidents that resulted in custodial sentencing of the Directors

4. Is Angling part of the general curiculum in schools

5. The Severn barrage will inerferre with ah spawning run of a protected species...Has anything been done about it

6.Do we still have a problem with cormorants

7. Do we still have a problem with fish theft

8.Do we sill have a problem with illegal fishing in nursery areas

9. Do we still have a problem with puffins losing 90% of their chicks through starvation

10. Do we still have city councils trying to close waters down

11. Do we still get out gunned by the RSPB

The list is endless....

Can I see progress over the last decade?

Not much really

Has he worked tirelessly in my interests....Not so that I can really tell.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Stop whinging and become an MP with all its perks and see how many of the above you can get sorted Lee. Theres a challenge for you.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
As Richard says making lists of what is wrong is the easy bit. Having the drive and determination to change things is another.

If Martin Salter made just one inroad into your list during his time in parliament and got people in high places talking about such issues its more than you have done Lee in having a good old moan on here.

If you think you can do better stand as an MP.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
As I understand it Salter is an 'MP for Readind west' first, and an angler second.

The statemant 'avoice for angling' is a little misleading and unfair on him. He was elected to serve his constituants in Reading, NOT to bring major benifits to angling. I agree its of benifit to have an MP who is pro angling and am greatfull of any impact he may have had. But Lee is correct, its just an MP stepping down, and he shoud not be seen as some kind of 'saviour of angling', when in reality he's had very little impact on the sport.