Worcester; Good Place For A Fishing Holiday?

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Thinking of booking a narrow boat holiday in the Worcester area; the fishing on the Avon and Severn is good I hear.

Anyone suggest any good spots where I'd get away with fishing from the narrowboat?

I'd like to know if there is much up that neck of the woods to keep the kids occupied too.

What about any other narrowboat holiday destinations that offer good fishing and stuff for us to do as a family?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Just up the river from Worcester is a place called Stourport.

Stourport has got an open all year round fun fair with lots of rides, bowling alley, mini golf, go karts, large open grass area etc... a truly lovely place, check that out.

Theres so much around that neck of the woods, you wouldnt be far away from Bewdley and Bridgnorth also... you could pick worse places to go holidaying.

Not sure about fishing off boats. I dont see why not but it may be best to eitehr check with a local tackle shop or just go round some quiet corner and play naive /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Day Breamer wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Just up the river from Worcester is a place called Stourport.

Stourport has got an open all year round fun fair with lots of rides, bowling alley, mini golf, go karts, large open grass area etc... a truly lovely place, check that out.

Theres so much around that neck of the woods, you wouldnt be far away from Bewdley and Bridgnorth also... you could pick worse places to go holidaying.

Not sure about fishing off boats. I dont see why not but it may be best to eitehr check with a local tackle shop or just go round some quiet corner and play naive /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Cheers for the info about Stourport mate. As for playing naive, I'm an expert at that /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

S

Steve King

Fishing off a boat does not exempt you from buying a permit! A BAA permit will let you fish many waters in the area.

The Avon can be a bit tough going at times. Fladbury is nice though and has some good barbel and chub.

I wouldn't restrict yourself to fishing from the boat, mooring and going for a stroll will give you the opportunity to fish other places.

Harvington Mill on the Avon is fishable on a day ticket, but the fishery has no navigation rights so you will have to moor elsewhere.

There is an island that you can fish from from a mile or so from Eckington - the only access is by boat. If you moor up and walk across the island you can fish the weirpool. Be careful the bank can be very slippery! The weirpool itself is snaggy, but full of barbel. The last time I fished it I think it was free fishing, but check up before you go.

The Salwarpe enters the Severn just above Worcester at Claines - nice fishing, but not sure where you can moor.

Be careful on the Severn it is a powerful river!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I would stick with the Severn personally, the Avon is a lovely river but not the fishing river of years ago. Try downstream to Upton and further to Tewkesbury but not much in the way of entertainment for kids anywhere on the Severn really.

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
If your thinking of fishing off the boat I'd look to buy or borrow a fishfinder.

Invaluable on big rivers like the Severn.

During low clear conditions the fish really do pack in tight to features during daylight.

It wont be so easy to fish these spots from a big boat, but you might find a spotor two close to some moorings that are worth a go.

Regarding the fishing, a lot will depend on the time of year your looking to go and what you want to fish for.

I've brought myself a boat 6 months ago and have been fishing the Severn andWAvon, mainly for predators, and had some cracking fishing.

I do intend to do some barbel fishing from it during the Summer.

There are plenty of pubs along the river, and towns like Gloucester/ Tewkesbury/ Upton /Worcester/ Stourportare well worth a visit, along with the severn valley railway which will take from Kidderminster toBridgnorth (where I live)along the river, assuming you can get across land to Kiddy/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif.

I dont know the Avon so well, so cant offer much advice on that area other than to say thatStratford upon Avon is worth a tripthe fishing isn't that bad on the WAvon imo/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Steve

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Cheers Steve; got a boat myself....great way to fish and can be very productive. I've thought about using my fishfinder on the barge; I'd mount the transducer on a bit of 2" x 1" timber and clamp it to the hull of the barge with aG clamp.

Wonder how far into the weirs I can get a barge?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
Tony,

depends what your kids like.......there are towns to visit, Gloucester, Tewksbury, Worcester etc......

Getting up to the Severn Valley railway, doing the Avon etc is a bit "challenging" in a week/fortnight

You can't get up close to the weirs in barges.......you have to go into the locks or face 2oz leads coming through ya window if you come the wrongside!!..........well you will if i'm feeding a swim! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Let us know when you are about......i'll call round for a beer and the barby, /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif