Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Greg,

You will run out of brick walls before the AT runs Angling, one bit of advice, buy a crash helmet[img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Jesus, justimagine how happy Bauer's bosses will be when I tell them they can go and raid the Treasury's coffers when times get hard. And to think my father slaved half of his life to make a decent living when he could have been sponsored by the tax payer and only spent three days a week in work! Capitalism is an illusion!

You're right Ray. I'm a gullible fiool. I'm so ashamed I'm going to hide in the broom cupboard...

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Greg Whitehead wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I hate to break it to you Alan, but Bernard's dead, God rest his soul. </blockquote>

Well goodness gracious me!! Yet another stunningly insightful sermon read as ever from the pulpit of the Church of the Statement of the Bleeding Obvious!

Sadly what has also died was the quality aspect of Angling Times which is the charge that you didn't answer.

My position on the close season debate was made perfectly clear on the first time this hoary old chestnut was debated on this site.

We are perfectly aware that this is not a scientific debate indeed the involvement of scientific research would eventually lead to infinitely more confusion with different waters closing at different times of the years for each species of fish to spawn in peace.

The issues are of ethics and the public image of angling in this media overloaded age it is as important as ever that angling needs to retain an acceptable public face.

For as long as the public accepts us as being generally kindly if slightly strange occasionaly buccolic harmless duffers then we are reasonably safe.

Public villification is easy enough to whip up ask anyone who has been on the wrong end of a media frenzy Greg AT should be well aware of that. look at the negative response to those gloriously ill thought out pictures that accompanied the Cormorant Campaign.....It was a priceless own goal!

So the last thing we need is to be continually washing our dirty linen in public . So a tip may well be if you want AT to be a campaigning newspaper pick on somthing that will give angling a positive light in the eyes of the public, there must be plenty of positive environmental issues that you can choose that will portray anglers as bringing some benefit, rather than the old close season issue which is easy to spin into a portrait of anglers as a bunch of greedy grasping misfits who care only for their own selfish ends.

It might even sell more newspapers.....................

EC Guest

One size can never fit all, what's good on one river is not necessarily good on another. There are too many scientific variables that can effect spawning from one venue to another for one closed season to cover all species on all venues.

Is it too much to ask the controlling bodies be given the freedomto look after their own interests and close waters as and when required?

Fred Bonney Guest

The only trouble with that EC, is what about the bloke who owns the opposite bank,and who wants it open at the same time, as the other owner wants it closed?

What also seems to be forgotten and these are not my words,

&quot;.....we have wild fish in rivers,theynot the same as those in lakes, especially those in commercials, which are an almost disposable resource in the most heavily stocked waters.
    There is a lot more to fishing than catching fish, and there must always be a place for wild fish that are given some measure of protection and respect.&quot; (Thanks Pete R)

Greg,

So you are now trying to tell us that the private sector don't come cup in hand to the government when in the brown stuff. And there we all are, thinking that the trains, buses, tubes and banks, are using all their own money.

Here I am having slaved away all these years thinking i might have some thing at the end of it all, only to find that some Ar*ehole in the private sector has already bleed the taxpayer dry, and nicked all the pension money along with it.

Guillible Fool, you can't help that Greg, after all you do think the AT can do a better job than the EA, at a lot extra cost to the angler, there I rest my case

EC Guest

Yes thats a factor that could be problematic Fred, butif both clubs are singing from the same hymnsheet it shouldn't be. If one bank is controlled by someone infishingfor pure greed then yes the club on the oppositebank could be pi55ing in the wind.

However the point still stands in my opinion, there is no all encompassingclosed season that can cater for all species and all habitats.

The argument that stopping the closed season would work against us from a PR point of viewmaybe a fair one, howevera varied closed season appropriate to the habitat and species could just as easily do the opposite.

Dave Slater Guest

Great idea in principal but it wouldn't work, in my opinion, as it is not possible to only catch a specific species.

I'd blame the government Ray, not the private sector. But that's just me.

I've only been on AT for just shy of five years Alan. All I personally can do is my best. Running the paper and directing editorial content is someone else's job. As I said, I didn't agree with wheeling out the old favourite on the closed season. I'm more interested in the Marine Bill and how it's going to shape the sport going forward.

As for the public, they're party to the ongoing destruction of the planet and the deaths of species on a monumental scale, so I'm not sure they care that much. Although I agree they are bloody fickle. I remain unconvinced that an angling ban is on the cards, especially if we can keep politicians onside.But Salter stepping down is a blow.

Keeping or doing away with the river closed season isn't actually as big a deal as everyone makes out. And I'd bet that 90 per cent of the public don't know there are, or ever have been, closed seasons within angling....

Dave Slater Guest

This forum has certainly got very political with a lot of slagging off regarding public and private sectors. I have worked in both sectors and encountered good people and total tossers in both. I think we need what is generally referred to as a mixed economy, with some things being public sector and some private sector.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast