Should the River season be extended one month?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The claim is that because of the recession and poor river conditions since Christmas that the season should be extended until April 14th. Matt Hayes and John Williams (BAA) support this.

My own experience has been that I've not been prevented from fishing a single weekend since Chistmas despite two mammoth floods, and snow and ice. The tackle shops are quiet though, but I saw a few more anglers out last weekend. Personally I've got too much to do for the next three months to have much time for a lot of fishing though it might be interesting to see what the fishing is like in late March/April assuming anywhere actually opened.

What do you think?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Okay, so we've had a cold winter. Did the close season start early during and after warm winters? <u>NO.</u>

If it is changed this year, then every other year may have to be changed to suit weather conditions. Who is to decide and make the decision to change that start and possibly end of the close season?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
No it would stay at 16th June. At present the EA would find it hard to change due to the current law so don't get too excited, it is unlikely to actually happen.

chub angler

Reaction score
I don't think they should change the dates. some years are bad you have to live with it .

chub angler

Reaction score
or a reduced price licence the following season. /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Mark you have kicked it off early,why do Mr Hayes and Mr Williams want it changed?

Because of a bad winter? That's a bit selfish aint it?

As most members know I am totally in favour of the closed season, I would also be in favour of educated fishery owners having a flexible closed season based on the spawning activities of the fish. But could their educated knowledge be trusted? Backsides on the bank equals dosh!!!

To knock a month off the closed season because of a poor winter would be "the start of the end" of the closed season!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You have a closed season on all waters for 3 months, or nothing at all on all water's. If it had been kept as it was, we wouldn't have this debate year in year out.

Nothing new ever comes up, and why should we keep the season going because of the snow etc, just close all waters on march 14th, still waters as well. This is the one thing the EA needs to sort out, and sort it this year, it's a joke.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I don't think they can justify extending the season because of the winter we have had that is a nonsense, we should expect bad weather in the winter that is what winter is all about. Having no closed season at all then yes bring it on - and quickly won't be quick enough.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to be able to get out every weekend since Christmas, sat on the bank, mostly blanking /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The weather didn't stop me from fishing so why should there be any change to the seasons close?

Funny how Matt Hayes has a shout on this, doesn't he have a vested interest being able to sell more kit through Fishtec?

I'm with those that believe that it has to be full closure across the board or fully open.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"The claim is that because of the recession and poor river conditions since Christmas that the season should be extended until April 14th."

I didn't realise that the recession would have any affect on the spawning of our river fish.

What nonsense.

P

Peter Waller

It's just AT, once again, showing that it really isn't an angling publication in the true sense of the word. Doubtless those calling for the demise, or reduction of the close season are AT columnists and / or involved in the trade. Matt Heyes and TFG for example? AT calling for the demise of the close season is as predictable as New Year following on from Christmas, and Norwich heading into the second devision.

P

Peter Waller

In the meantime if any one wishes to fish during the close season then they can head on down to their local commercial mud hole, trout fishery, canal or seashore.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'd prefer to see a blanket closed season, can't see it coming back sadly.

Current situation is ridiculous though. If they are not going to shut all waters, then they should allow all to open - at the owners/clubs discretion.

W

Wolfman Woody

I think the rivers season should be put back .......

to June 14th <u>EVERY YEAR</u>, but leave the opening date as is on June 16th!

Best idea yet!

/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff notes:

"Best idea yet!"

Well, maybe, but only if you want to hand the equivalent of W.M.D's to the anti-fishing brigade!

You can then also kiss goodbye to any and every river that we 'share' with theGame Anglers, because you will never get on those again.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

For the sake of sanity, the close season should be left as it is and a decision to change it should not be taken by a group who have short term financial interests.

I certainly think that the river close season for coarse species should, on selected watersbe changed to 1st May to15th July.

D

Dave Slater

I agree with most of the posts. What on earth does the recession have to do with the close season? The idea of the close season is to give things a rest, and is right in my opinion. If it was abolished or shortened and some people had more time to fish because of the recession the increased pressure would be detrimental to our fishing in the long run. If the idea was put forward by big name people perhaps they would like to be famous for an extra month. I have been lucky enough to reduce my hours from 1st February which enables me to fish more in the evenings. Unfortunately the snow came as soon as my hours were reduced which made things very difficult so, from a purely selfish point of view, the extra month would be useful. However, as I am more interested in the long term future of our sport, I think things should be left as they are.