Robson Green Last Night

Fishing Nut

Reaction score
Did anyone see Robson Green on Chanel 5 last night killing Pike with a pitch fork?

Iunderstand thats how they live in Alaska but to me thats not entertainment.

whats your view?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
It should be called Extreme Fisting because that's what he needs.

According to Channel 5, viewing figures of over a million, take away the anglers watching it, there'll still be a considerable number of 'ill-informed' viewers who will think the sort of treatment he's giving to fish is the norm......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I tend to think that this man was put there by Peta.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I would not call it fishing most of what he did was survival fishing not extreme. Why was all the swearing kept in as well.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Only watched one episode in the first series, as that was enough. But decided to watch it again last night - the places he went to and some of the local hunting/angling techniques shown were quite interesting, but i was on the verge of throwing things at the TV by the end of it, Robson was that irritating. The swearing was totally unnecessary, and as for all that 'high 5' stuff with the Americans who took him fishing, even they looked embarrassed!

I agree with Bryan with regards it being survival fishing, and for that sort of stuff I'd watch Ray Mears instead any day.

Nathan

Reaction score
I saw the pike 'fishing' whilst flicking through the channels - i thought i'd give it a chance and then saw him using a huge trident type device to spear & kill pike. I can understand people killing fish for food but he had about 8 pike lined up in the snow & was talking about the good 'sport' he'd just had. To my mind he's not an angler, people that fish care about their quarry and show them the respect they deserve.

Nathan

Reaction score
Also, did anyone else pick up on what the other guy said? "There's no fish left in the area because the pike have eaten them all - there's now only pike eating pike."

Isn't this an ancient way of thinking? Pike eat the sick/weak fish - if they ate absolutely everything is sight surely we'd all be fishing waters containing only pike?

Rickrod

Reaction score
Did they have to show the salmon been clonked over the head

Pete Marshall

Reaction score
Whilst Robson Green's camp luvieness gets on my nerves I cannot see anything wrong in showing how fish are caught and killed. Do you want it all hidden away from your oh so delicate sensibilities?

As pike are cold blooded animals spearing them causes no more distress than hooking them...they still need to be finally dispatched by a swift blow to the brain. My objection would be to them not showing the fish actually being killed, which could lead me to surmise that they actually left the pike to "drown"; and that is wrong.

As far as them catching loads of these fish...if they don't what do they eat, nip down to Teso's and buy chickens breed thousands together in cages the size of a shoe box? It is hardly worth a trip out in a plane to a frozen lake just for one fish. This feeds the whole community.

Angling is a form of hunting, even catch and release.

To my mind catching and killing a wild fish in wild surroundings, killing it and cooking it is much more moral than fishing for captive fish, breed to be caught in a pond, even if you release them a hundred times. I don't fish commercials for this reson, in the same way I don't agree with dog fighting but do support hare corsing.

Catch and release is a conservation measure and nothing to do with cruelty or otherwise.

The anti hunting and anti conservations of the League Against Cruel [sic] sports, PETA and every one else like that, will seek to ban angling for the same reasons they banned hunting with dogs. Because they are fundamentally against any relationship between man and nature. They anthropomorphism wildlife and hate freedom. We can defend angling by being good conservationists and not by claiming to be against "cruelty" to bunnies, foxes or fish.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Pete.

I have nothing against the methods but would not call it angling. But survival. Which is fine. I enjoy watching Ray Mears.

Pete Marshall

Reaction score
Bryan, you are quite right./forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif Angling involves using a rod and line whilst fishing can involve a lot of other methods for catching fish.

My point is that angling is a form of hunting and is usually done for pleasure rather than survival.

The objections of the "antis" is to more or less anything done for pleasure ,although they are also quite capable of being anti hunting for survival as well as seen by their banning of imports of seal skins which has reduced the Inuit in places from a sustainable self sufficient people into groups of state dependent alcoholics. The work of the now sainted Linda McCartney who made her money (before marrying into even more) from photography; a profession prior to the digital age mainly relying on the use of animal products to make film (I am a photographer myself so always enjoy teasing vegi photographers and film makers). I wrote to her about this once and was told that there was no alternative to the use of animal products for photography. When I pointed out to her that in fact there were several older processes (such as collodian emulsions and glass plates) that involved no animal products to make photographs (but were a little nasty for a nice lady like her) I received no more replies

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Pete,
Totally agree, it is Robson that gets on my nerves, not the content of the programmes. I have no problem with seeing the way that other countries go about catching fish for the table.
What i don't like though, is that they've tried to make an angling programme using techniques that certainly aren't angling and used someone who hasn't got a clue to present it - how any angler can think it is great fun holding a rod and pressing a button on a reel to winch up cod is beyond me!
Channel Five should either have made a series about angling or about the ways that people hunt fish in other parts of the world, not tried to mix the two together - probably a bit like trying to combine wildlife photography and hunting in the same programme.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>It's HUNTING not angling</blockquote>
It's not titled 'Extreme Angling' is it. Get over yourselves, why have people on this site become bitter all of a sudden? Get off his case, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Leave us open minded folk to enjoy in peace.

Reaction score
It's not titled 'Extreme Angling' is it

I suppose you're right Nick.

The thing is YOU are open minded, but the antis are not.

They see someone going fishing and think that's what we do when we go angling in the UK.

Believe me, I have many friends that are none anglers who haven't a clue what we do or why we do it. As far as they are concerned we 'rip hooks out of the fishes mouth', we 'kill what we catch', and 'oh, I didn't realise you threw them back in...what's the point in that?'

It is interesting to see how things are done in other countries, we're not all the same and do things differently. I just think the program could be presented differntly. Get Attenborough on it.

Right, I'm off to watch a bull fight and then I think I might find a shamen to mix me up some trance enhancing substances befor I go off and sh*g a goat.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Right, I'm off to watch a bull fight and then I think I might find a shamen to mix me up some trance enhancing substances befor I go off and sh*g a goat.</blockquote>

Who's the bull fighting?

Corker, remember it's better been safe than sorry, rubber up.haha.

Seriously Matt, I'v had people I don't know asking me "why I put them back" and "what's the point in going". All we can do is educate the people around us, I cannot think of anyone I know who thinks we do to fish as they do on Knobs programme. The majority of people I know have either been with me, or they've been bored with the stories I tell them. It could be the area we live in. I live in Barnsley, and it's in the culture to be outdoors "hunting", so everyone seems educated. Do you seriously think people watch this and think we go to the local lake and throw garden forks at fish?

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Nick,
It might not be called 'Extreme Angling' but it is presented by someone who classes himself as an angler i.e. Robson Green. It isn't the programme or material that is a problem, but the presenter, who i think could end up giving anglers in general a bad name because of the way that he comes across in the programme.
You have stated that you enjoy watching it, so surely those of us who have seen it but didn't enjoy it are just as entitled to comment as such and discuss what we didn't like about it?
Anyway I'm off to do some fishing, now where did i leave those sticks of dynamite...

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nick Lynch wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Do you seriously think people watch this and think we go to the local lake and throw garden forks at fish?</blockquote></blockquote>
Robson Green did it. Why shouldn't they think we do similar?

harry hayward

Reaction score
robson maybe a c%ck of the first order, but this is fishing how others do it. i for one laughed like f$ck when the sturgeon nearly pulled the tw*t over the gunwhales. and in robsons defence his mantra right through both series has been that he knows f%ck all about any other fishing, save for fly fishing on a couple of rivers in the northwest. and fair shout to anybody willing to go out on a trawler in a f$cking hurricane just to see what its like.
i for one have enjoyed both series. and if we really want to keep the antis from our door, we should ban match fishing putting hundreds of pounds(weight) of fish in fu$king keep nets.

Admin edited today.

Please see FM's Terms & Conditions of Use - Section 5 Member Conduct.

PGJ Moderator.