Foremark ? A Test Case?

M

MarkTheSpark

Just a quick post to draw your collective attention not to my short news piece but to the implications of the angling closure at Foremark. As the article explains, I think this will send its ripples into every water with public access.

Please sign the Angling Trust petition

E

EC

We live in an agewhere there isincreasing pressure for people to take out privatelitigation when accidents/injuries occur. "No win no fee" is now the order of the day. ST like every other council are covering their ar5e for what might happen, and this is to be expected.

Is one way around this issueforevery angler to have 3rd party accidentinsurance, included in some form of licence? That might swell the Angling Trust numbers, justa little!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Sorry but this is not a test case at all.

Hertfordshire Council banned Angling from one bank at Aldenham Res, a number of years ago.

An Angler, who had not paid for his day ticket was pike fishing, as he went to cast he caught a passerby with the lure, Fishing banned from the bank.

Wouldyou be ableto have an area fenced off, so Joe public can still walk around, but don't get in the way of anglers at the same time. As I have not fished there I don't know, that's why I am asking.

chub angler

Reaction score
you wouldthink they would have thesense to stay away from you but they dont .

colsmiff

Reaction score
It is the responsibility of the angler to ensure that nobody can be injured by his actions. STW would be vicariously liable for such injuries, by allowing the angler to fish on their property.Therefore they are taking a reasonably practicable measure to reduce their public liability, and hence their insurance costs.

Sorry lads, but common law will win every time.

As anglers we need to be aware of our surroundings and that includes numpties who walk around us when we are casting. If the fish can't see our super hightech fluorochlorocarbon mega hooklength, what chance have the public?

As for Foremark, I seem to remember warning signs on the dam wall about anglers casting, back in the early nineties. Have they disappeared?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
There are notices on the dam at Grafham telling the public there is no access yet they still wander along and stand behind anglers. There are notices telling them to beware of anglers back casting and yet they still wander along and stop behind anglers.

It has been said that Severn Trent have always been on the nervous side when dealing with supposed H&S issues..

M

MarkTheSpark

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Sorry but this is not a test case at all.

Hertfordshire Council banned Angling from one bank at Aldenham Res, a number of years ago.

An Angler, who had not paid for his day ticket was pike fishing, as he went to cast he caught a passerby with the lure, Fishing banned from the bank.

Wouldyou be ableto have an area fenced off, so Joe public can still walk around, but don't get in the way of anglers at the same time. As I have not fished there I don't know, that's why I am asking.</blockquote>

You may be right, Ray, which is why I put a question mark in the headline. The difference here is that, instead of a ban being the result of an accident, STW are enshrining it as H&S code. Once there's an acceptance that angling and walking don't mix, where does that lead us? Just think about the implications.

Some H&S is good but some is just common sense made law, which is bad. And as I said, the same action isn't taken for much more hazardous activities like sailing, nor is walking itself seen as an issue. If I trip on the edge of pavement slab which is raised more than 3/4 inch, I can sue the council. Does STW make sure that all its footpaths have no corrugations? Does it feel it's liable for people slipping on ice, or tripping over branches?

As for the fencing solution, that's much more expensive than simply stopping the fishing. Guess which route most authorities would take?

Whenever anything like this comes up, angling is sidelined for the simple reason that the rambling lobby, or any other lobby, is much stronger than angling. Good on the Angling Trust for taking this issue on. Please sign the petition and prove that we aren't the apathetic bunch we always appear to be.

chub angler

Reaction score
just think what would happen if they started closing river banks because of public foot paths. Using H&S as an excuseTheyclosed the pond by my dads place.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
ark,

I know what you are saying, now regarding the fence, as I have not fished there I didn't know if it is possable, seems not.

H&S like a lot in life, is common sence, trouble is the PC world we live in now, not many seem to have common sence.