can you identify this fish

nicky

Reaction score
200_SL380538.jpg

My mate caught this fish yesterday and it looks like a hybrid but i've never seen anything like it before, any ideas what it may be.

I'll keep quiet for the moment about what fish are in the pond

nicky

Reaction score
800_SL380538.jpg

thats a slightly better picture I have been trying to shrink it to allow me to upload it unfortunately the camera had some moisture on the lens so its a bit misty

Ryan k 2

Reaction score
looks like a golden rudd but with a bit of roach in it/forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

nicky

Reaction score
Its a strange one, i would say it is mostly roach, as it has the classic shape, but it has an upturned mouth which made me think that it has some rudd in it, although the photos dont do it justice it also had really blood red fins.

This pond isnt stocked by any club and hardly anyone fishes it.

The predominant species is roach.

I've also has various goldfish from there.

Plus it has the crucian thingy fish you know looks like a crucian but has probably cross bred with the brown goldfish.

I know someone let 5 or 6 rudd free from their tank into there so you never know.

nicky

Reaction score
thats the best i can get it with the size limitations, dont you think it has more of the shape of a roach apart from the mouth and colour if you put it next to one of the resident roach it looked identical

nicky

Reaction score
Its a strange one, i would say it is mostly roach, as it has the classic shape, but it has an upturned mouth which made me think that it has some rudd in it, although the photos dont do it justice it also had really blood red fins.

This pond isnt stocked by any club and hardly anyone fishes it.

The predominant species is roach.

I've also has various goldfish from there.

Plus it has the crucian thingy fish you know looks like a crucian but has probably cross bred with the brown goldfish.

I know someone let 5 or 6 rudd free from their tank into there so you never know.

nicky

Reaction score
thats the best i can get it with the size limitations, dont you think it has more of the shape of a roach apart from the mouth and colour if you put it next to one of the resident roach it looked identical

preston96

Reaction score
It's a Welsh bar of gold Nicky....thats a Welsh roach/visiting goldfish cross......................you know how us Williams's, Jones's etc like to put it about /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

arbocop

Reaction score
It's a rudd - there are two forms (as I found out recently) common and golden. It's definitely a rudd though yellow eye, square dorsal fin set back from centre of pelvic fin, red fins andtail, and upturned mouth.

I don't think it is possible for rudd to hybridise with goldfish/crucians, the gold colour is the result of human selection from slightly golden parents.

nicky

Reaction score
golden rudd it is then, i just had a look on the web and it does look like the pictures of golden rudd i came across, i know the few rudd that were released into here were the common variety, who knows where it came from i have fished this pond regularly for about 5 years and have never seen one before.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Hang on - the rudd's specific name is erythrophthalmus - "red eye"!

The dorsal fin is waaay back, but it just doesn't look "chunky" enough for a rudd - then again, it could be local variation in shape - heaven knows, roach vary enough in shape from water to water.