maxima diameters

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Just to add, if I go to purchase 100m of an 'all round' line between 2lbs & 4lbs, my first choice is always Maxima.

Reaction score
i have to say i love the stuff,its never let me down and i find makes nice neat knots without too much curling,i have yet to find a better line for my needs

Reaction score
Right Captain Trousers, my vernier is accurate to 0.001mm and I have 'the feel'.

Micrometers (0-25mm say) can be screwed down (by a solicitor,say, that might not have 'the feel') and over compress the line. Verniers do have a flat to spread the when required.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Right Captain Trousers, my vernier is accurate to 0.001mm and I have 'the feel'.</blockquote>

Rubbish. I don't know anyone who's eyesight is good enough to read a 'vernier' to anything better than 0.1mm (0.004")

Regarding your 'digital' caliper, does the LCD display not have a resolution of just 0.00mm, or 0.0000"?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
As in most precision industries............

I don't believe you use 'vernier calipers' to measure to 0.001mm though.

Optical interferometry is used to calibrate the flatness of micrometer faces (to ISO standards), not on calipers though as their accuracy is of a lower standard.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Maybe when you work on helicopters you only work to such low precision, which may explain why they keep crashing.

I work to a flatness precision of 5 millionths of an inch - after that I'm guessing.

Our callipers go to 0.002mm ie 1/10th of a thou.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>They use an Exactometer to callibrate a callibrator Paul.</blockquote>

What calibrates the exactometer?

(I bet you couldn't see that coming)

Re Maxima, there will always be a place in the market for great value, reliable lines.

slime monster

Reaction score
Back to Maxima i used it for years with no trouble and total confidence ,two years ago i latched into a very big Chub on Throop using 5lb maxima this fish was all but beaten at the net it made a lunge for cover and the line gave. i checked the line for wear and found none, i have not used it since.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

our callipers go to 0.002mm ie 1/10th of a thou.</blockquote>

Not ones you can take home and use in the garage to measure line on your reel spools.

I've yet to loose a chopper on my watch......./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I've also spent a couple of years in a areospace calibration lab. /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Reaction score
It's my company, I'll take home what I like.

I've also spent a couple of years in a areospace calibration lab.

Then you should have a better grasp of precision.

What's the difference between accuracy and precision?

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>The wear was on the bit of line that broke off mate. Lifes hard.</blockquote>
That is the likely answer Matt but confidence is everything and i was gutted knowing i was pushing my luck on 5lb line and managing to beat the biggest Chub i have ever seen only to be done on a half hearted pull.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score

It's my company, I'll take home what I like.</blockquote>

Fair enough, but the instruments you describe are very sensitive and its not a straight forward task to move them. They need to be used in a temperature and humidity controlled environment, once moved they would need a specified 'soak time' to stabilise before re-calibrating............... Of course you know this.

I'll end my involvement now before others get too pi**ed of with this discussion.

Back to maxima............

Reaction score
They are used in a climate controlled clean room on positive pressure.

Right....yes...er maxima.

The bloke only wanted to know the diamters for god's sake.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Yes Slime,

but very consisten,t easy to use and reliable. Still a good all round choice.