maxima diameters

nicky

Reaction score
Can anyone give the diameters of maxima line from say 2lb upto say 6lb or alternatively point me to some where where i can find out.

Thanks

chub angler

Reaction score
Nicky it says the diameters on the spools hope this helps you

nicky

Reaction score
yeah i know but i have a couple of different spools filled with maxima and no longer have the spools, i was tying hook lengths out of hi tec line and was just wondering how the diameters compared with my reel line.

Cheers

chub angler

Reaction score
OK Nick if no one helps ring the shop in the morning and ask them to read out the diameters.

Reaction score
It took 30 seconds to find it on google.

maxima chameleon line in diameters 2lb-0.12/ 3lb-0.15/ 4lb-0.17/ 5lb-0.20/6lb-0.22 / 8lb-0.25/12lb-0.32 on 100m spools

chub angler

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gifI didnt think of that Matt

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Years ago I bought a digital micrometer and tested loads of lines. The diameters on the spools were often way out.

Diameter is not really that important except when casting. Suppleness is important as it affects the way your hooklink behaves and how much resistance the fish feels when taking.For example afish will reject a bait on very thin but not very supple wire where it would haveaccepted the same bait presented on a thick but supple braid.

Maxima is quite thick but is very relaible and lasts very well. It is a great reel line if you are repeatedly casting aheavy feeder but for anything else there are better mono lines.

P

Phillips Jerry

Maxima also has the most strecth at about 30% not much good for feeder fishing .

P

Phillips Jerry

Line test in I Y Coarse Fishing in March 2oo4

4lb maxima stated dia is 0.17mm but it was found to be 0.212mm ,way of out of it's stated dia.

It's had it's day there much better lines out there.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Years ago I bought a digital micrometer and tested loads of lines. The diameters on the spools were often way out.</blockquote>

Andy

Did you have it callibrated?

Reaction score
The maxima looks close enough to me Graham - the BS is quite conservative too.

I have a digital vernier (callibrated!) - I've used it to check lines a few times and I must say it's usually close (not closed).

Why did I use a vernier to measure the lines? Because I'm not chuffin bright enough to write what lines are on my spools, so I have to check from time to time!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I have a digital vernier (callibrated!) - I've used it to check lines a few times and I must say it's usually close (not closed).</blockquote>

I'd imagine it would be close, calipers are fine for general measurement but not very good when looking accuracy to less than...... say 0.002" (0.050mm). They also tend to have a knife edge near to the tip, which could squash the line with very little pressure and lead to an inaccurate (undersize) reading.

Adelicate 'feel' with a decent micrometer should give a more realistic value for line diameter.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The one use for Maxima that I've yet to find a better line is standard match waggler fishing. 2lb Maxima is perfect for this (breaks at about 2-12); it'll sink whenyou want it as well as stay on top when you don't and is totally reliable. I step up to 2.5lb for really big sliders/wagglers.