Small baitrunners for roach fishing

Specihunter

Reaction score
I want to go and doa few overnighters for tench, bream and roach soon .I have some old Intercepters but the spools are way too big for 6-8lb mainline are the any smaller baitrunners or should I buy another mach 3(how would I set up the mach 3). I don't want to spend a lot so about £60 for the pair is my allowed budget.

Many thanks

Speci

John Bunyan

Reaction score
Have a look at the Shimano 1000 models, although I don't think they make them now,great little reel.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Fleabay as Cormoran did do some very nice 25 and 30 size baitrunners that would be perfect for the job you have in mind I have one of each and they are excellent

Day Breamer

Reaction score
How big are the Interceptors spools?

I use 8lb mainline with my Shimano Baitrunners without any problems.

But to answer... ABU do a great freespool reel (as do alot of other companys) and these are generally 3000 sized, they are actually quite small compact and im sure would be perfect for what you want.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Okuma Epix Baitrunners are really good value for money, they're an exceptional reel for the £40 that they cost.

Alternatively load the spools with 6lb or 8lb Daiwa Sensor Monofil, cost £6.99 and there's more than enough line on the bulk spools to fill yourspools several times over, great reliable line and cheap and cheerful. Even that won't break the bank on your Interceptor Reels, that way you can spend the rest of your budget on some bait and some end tackle also.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The one problem I have found with these small baitrunners is line twist, I use 6000 size and that covers all the above species, and I have diawa 4500, they have a big pit size spool and are loaded with 8lb line, I have had no problems.

Look on ebay as Alan has said, you can get the old model shimano 6000 for a good price, but I wouldn't go any lower in spool size than 4000 myself.

Reaction score
Grauvell do a small baitrunner the br 1500 it is around the shimano 3000 size its bigger brother the 3000 got 9.5/10 the other week in anglers mail

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Speci, might sound daft but have you tried the Interceptor Pro 30?? I use this reel for bream and tench. It's compact and doesn't unblance my medium feeder rods.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Thanks all, noI haven't tried the pro 30 phil, mine are the old 50's. I did used to use them for my river fishing with the same line but found the line lay would go funny thats why I'm looking for smaller reels .

I have seen in chapmansthey have theokuma Intercepter pro bf and the opti drag baitfeeder.

The 1 thing I have no clue on is spool sizes 3000s , 4000s etc??

Fred Boniface

Reaction score
I have a pair of Okuma Amazonium 30s which have been very good. Came with three spools each, one of which is shallow/match type that makes it ideal for lighter lines or (possibly) braid. A nice, non flash, green colour and balance well on an Avon or feeder rod.

Mine camefrom Cheshire Angling at an excellent price.I do not think that they are current models but likely to be kicking around on a shelf or two. Might be worth a google ?