Whereare we going?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I would much prefer a bream free water than a carp free water, I personally find bream an unwanted addition to any water. An ideal pool for my money would hold carp, tench, roach and a few perch wouldn't go amiss either, not only would this provide good fishing it would eliminate any chance of cross breeding. Horseshoe lake run by the carp society is such a water, though there are instances of the very occasional big bream being caught in the past, the bailiffs told me last year that they haven't heard of a bream being caught for afew years. Rumour has it that they were cleared out but no one to my knowledge has ever admitted to this and when I asked this question last season they told me they have just disappeared.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Due to past experiences if i was had the choice of blanking or catching a few bream i will choose the to catch bream . Because it gives me some confidence my tactics are working.

preston96

Reaction score
It all depends on your outlook....................big bream are far more a challenge than big carp.

Give me a big water with big bream,a few big carp and a balance of tench, roach,etc..............problem is such waters soon get "managed" usually in the carps favour......eg,the originals get added to,usually in numbers.

Back to catching up in the garden..............bream,tench,and eel are beckoning!!

The bad one

Reaction score
The three counties meres, all bar about 4, have been ruined by carp. They have lost their natural native heritage of bream, tench, rudd,and to a lesser degree roach. Had this been happening to any place and native flora and fauna above the water surface the powers that be would have brought in regulation long ago. Onlynow are they starting to wake up to the fact of what is happening.

It reminds me of story someone I know once told me who owned a 'put and take'small trout reservoir. If they weren't catching as they thought they should, the shout would go up all around the reser " more trout,more trout! And to pacify them, he'd have to be seen stocking trout from the stew ponds.

But as with the owner of the trout reservoir, it's down to this£££££££££££££ and bums on seats.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Like all species a few are better than a lot for themselves and other species.

The problem is people wanted quick easy fishing like the comercials on there local club waters. So they stocked with small carp. Problem is these grew there by pushing other species out in the fight for food.

Its about balance.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Itseems to be me, that it was only when lakes were stocked with very high levels of carp that they became a problem. When their was a more natural balance the carp did not over breed or get to the levels where they pushed other species out.

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Whatmore wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I haven't fished Himley for donkeys years Paul but there is a pool near Telford we used to fish that had some lovely tench as well as good bream that was Trench pool did you ever fish that?</blockquote>
I will never forget driving up the causeway at trench for a quick pint at the Blue Pig and getting locked in,to cut a long story short i ended up falling in ..i believe we blanked that day!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Although a very well known day ticket venue, I did find some superb tench, crucian, roach/ruddfishing (and no king carp) this time last year. Godalming AS are to be congratulated on bucking the trend with their enlightened stocking policy.
IMG_1805_0.JPG

On the classic commercial front, Gold Valley are "rebalancing" the fishery with stock redistribution plus new introductions of chub, barbel, carp and cats! I've not fished it since last Oct!

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Neil Maidment wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

On the classic commercial front, Gold Valley are "rebalancing" the fishery with stock redistribution plus new introductions of chub, barbel, carp and cats! I've not fished it since last Oct!</blockquote>

Neil Gold valley is only stocking with Chub & Barbel because the owner states his fishery which is overstocked with carp will suffer from KHV and decimate his takings. However he is not prepared to put in any measures to minimize the risk of KHVLike net dipping or the supply ofnets and matsfor use on his waters.In my opinion Chub & Barbel belong in running water and not in still waters.Carp were brought by lake owners years agofor match anglers as these hungry fish would feed for the majority of the year and would give a great fight on light match tackle. With this type of fishing becoming more and more popular lakes had more bait than ever put into them. Trout pellets which also hit the scene at the same time helped these little carp grow very quickly.Within a few years these little carp had become too big for the average match angler to handle with standard tackle. You now have an overstockedlake with large hungry carp in it and the rest as they say is history, welcome to the world of the instant carper.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Having spoken to John Raison about net dips, I can say that he has used them in the past but came to the conclusion that the brief and non 100% nature of their use would not prevent KHV. Nets need a long soak in dips not the 2 second flash dip. He also concluded that most outbreaks have been as a result of restocking i.e. the disease is introduced by new fish.

I'd get tench like the one Neil is holding in one of my local lakes if it wasn't for getting through the 100,000 poxy skimmers! The tench are in there all right.

Reaction score
Paul, you have email matey.

I went out for my first session of the year fishing the lift yesterday and my first fish wasa 12lb carp on a lob tail.

It was a stunning creature, a proper oldboy (one of the original stocking onour club lake), but I'd have swapped him for a three pound tinca anyday. Unfortunately the few tench there are don't get a look in because the lake is over-run with 3-4lb cr*p following a recent 'improvement' to the water.

Ooops just noticed the typo. I meant 'carp'! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Specihunter

Reaction score
What about floods .I know that the thames has a load of lake carp plus Newlands had a vote to see if they would let Linear net the lake , that was turned down at the vote , because the argument against was what would stop Linear taking any carp not just there's .

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Most of the commercials in the south west are mixed fisheries, even the out & out match waters have other specimens