Beach Litter Survey

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7987149.stm

It appears that 'Fishing' litter was the 3rd highest of the groups that were counted, at just under 15% of all the litter collected, in total an average of some 2,195 pieces of litter per kilometer of beach were studied.

This is surely not good news and hopefully the AT will be embarking on a programme to address this poor situation.

Not that Coarse anglers are probably any better, but this litter problem has gone on for far too long - it is high time that the organising bodies, clubs and associations actually did something positive to put angling in a better light.

F

Fred Bonney

I don't know about you Peter, but the fishing litter I've seen on beaches realtes to "commercial" fishing, ie bits of old nets as opposed to angling litter.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
i live pretty close to cleethorpes, and on the beach in cleethorpes, where we get a lot of sea anglers, the rubbish is either from the people using the beach in the day during the season,or as fred says above, bits of old nets, smashed up bouys etc, as opposed to sea angling paraphernalia.