Signal Crayfish

F

Fred Bonney

That's the only way to do most fish, just butter though,Ithink.

Reaction score
Is this the one Windy...back from the days when you were just plain Evan!!

"the EA officer told me....."

and he checked it with the legal department first just to be sure his advice was up to date ?. Not.

The present state of play is really quite simple, to summarise:

1) Leave native white claw crayfish alone. Everywhere. Period.

2) You can fish and trap Red Signals <u>and</u> take them home to eat without needing any licence in the postcode areas set out in this guide

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/regulat/forms/fish/cray2.pdf

3) If you catch a crayfish inadvertently and you don't want to take it home for the pot you are obliged to kill it. You must kill it because it is a criminal offence to put it back or release it. Method of despatch up to you.

Oh, and once its dead there doesn't seem to be any <u>legal</u> reason why you can't throw the dead body back in the water, as the regulations apply only to live crayfish.

However I can think of two reasons; a) the bacteria they carry, every one removed is that little bit to the better and b) females may have fertilised eggs underneath capable of surviving to cause further destruction.

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Local Chinese will buy all you can get.</blockquote>
How much? Ray

Windy

Reaction score
Poshers, think that's the first post in time.

The Defra reference / URL and advice is a little misleading I subsequently discovered.

Although Defra decided to dispense with a Defra licence in the green postcoded areas on the map the EA then weighed in and decided that they didn't agree with this and that you would still need to apply to the EA for an EA licence *sigh*

It all ran to a couple of days research and a half a page of my usual succinct (ie. endless) drivel.... like an idiot I didn't keep a copy of the draft. Now I'm damned if I can find it again.

If you catch them by accident you effectively <u>have</u> to kill them as stated above.

Keeping them in a bucket for a couple of days to clean them with the potato peel trick before eating is therefore a bit of a grey area. You are intending to kill them without returning them to the water, just not immediately....

Plus which an over zealous EA official (now where have I heard of that sort of EA official lately ? Hmmm...?) coming across you lugging a bucket full away from the water might try and suggest that you hadn't caught them inadvertently but deliberately and therefore needed an EA trapping licence in advance to permit you to do so.

Tho they'd have to be barking to prosecute. Not that that would necessarily stop 'em, eh Emmo /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif.

Anyway, gotta go and get washed and shaved ready for a busy evening out: have a happy time discussing Barbel recipes til I get back.

Particularly good smoked. And remember, if you prefer to to practise catch and release you can still snip off their barbules with a pair of scissors before releasing them. Makes a lovely tasty little snack when deep fried, a little bit like a cross between whitebait and the crunchy bits in bombay mix.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>William Pastuszka wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Local Chinese will buy all you can get.</blockquote>
How much? Ray</blockquote>
I don't know mate, but know the guy from our club sells them and the profit goe's back to the club, will try and find out.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Think i will stick to my beef paste sandwiches, sounds like a lot less hassle, well except from chasing the last bits of paste round the barrel shaped jar with a huge butter knife /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Windy wrote</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Tho they'd have to be barking to prosecute. Not that that would necessarily stop 'em, eh Emmo /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif. </blockquote>

True Windy very true.

A

alan whittington

I wonder what the estimates in numbersof these god awful creatures coseverywhere you find them they double in numbers every year for about seven years and then ease back i dont know why that should happen,any ideas

The bad one

Reaction score
Alan the answer to your question (from research done (circa 2000)is between 1700 and 2500 per kilometre. The probable reason for the easing back as you put it, is they have reach the carrying capacity of the waterbody. Effectively there's to many in the water they starve and there's a slight crash in the population.

Poshers I wouldn't eat to many of them. Whilst the above will cleanse them of bacteria, it won't remove the heavy metals and EDSs they accumulated in their bodies. The canal systems through out the NW were industrial canals and many heavy metals were move and emitted into them. Those HMs are still in the sediments of the canal.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Phil.....

was talking to son, the marine biologist, about the trip...he took a very "Private Fraser" stance ...once they're in the watercourse you're doomed.....then he lost me with breeding rates, egg capacity, rate of spread etc etc. He's a real laugh my son (got to be he supports Man.City) - every fish and chip shop he visits he asks if their fish is sustainably caught!!!!!! - Can get very heated in them chip shops you know/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Windy

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote> <blockquote class=quote>Local Chinese will buy all you can get.</blockquote>

Sadly.

That's how the buggers came to be in the rivers in the first place. Some unutterable swine thought it would be an easier way to breed them and make money trapping them than having to keep them in secure acquaria and feed them.
<blockquote class=quoteheader>alan whittington wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I wonder what the estimates in numbersof these god awful creatures coseverywhere you find them they double in numbers every year for about seven years and then ease back i dont know why that should happen,any ideas</blockquote>

In 2004 Godalming Angling Association employed a professional trapper. In just three or four weeks he took 3.4 <u>tons</u> out of one 200 yard stretch (the straight stretch just up from the Guildford rowing club boathouse I believe). As I understand it they gave up when it became clear that there were effectively an infinite number of the little buggers queing up forever and, more prosaically, some swines stole most of the (professional quality) crayfish traps....

Philip

Reaction score
I might be talking cobblersbut didnt I hear or read somewhere that trapping is actually counter productive as it tends to get the bigger ones. The problem is thatSignals are cannibals so if you remove all the big ones thefollowing year there will be a population explosion with an even more humongous amount of little ones....so if you thoughtit was bad now...

On the Thames ...weren't the Chinese Mitton crabs supposed to be extendingtheir influenceup streamfrom the sea and were on collision course with the signalscoming the other way ?..no one was quite sure what the outcome would beof these two being thrown together and who would get the upper hand...but lets hope for the crustacean equivalent of world war 3 and total annihilation.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Windy,

Sadly there's always someone out to make a quick buck, and spoil it for everyone else.

The river Rib is stuffed with them, no matter how many get removed, they just keep on breeding. the more we can catch and remove the better, but it will be never ending.

S

Sean Meeghan

<u>Young Barbel with shallots and mushrooms</u>:

a barbel approx 1 1/2 lb

butter, salt, pepper, chopped fresh parsley

2 shallots

2 oz mushrooms, finely chopped3-4 tablespoons of breadcrumbs

1 glass of white wine

juice of 1/2 lemon

Make a couple of incisions in the fleshy part of the back of the fish and put in a well buttered casserol dish. Add salt, pepper, parsley, chopped shallots and mushrooms. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the fish. Add the wine and lemon juice and cook in an oven at 150 C for about an hour, basting regularly.

<u>Young Barbel Meuniere</u>:

Small barbel about 8 - 12 oz (sometimes difficult to find, but fishing maggot on the tidal Trent at Collingham usually produces a few)

Salt, pepper, flour, butter, lemons

Make a couple of cuts in the back of the fish, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roll in the flour. Fry in some of the butter for about 5 minutes a side, or until done to taste. Add some more butter to the butter remaining in the frying pan and heat until it begins to bubble. Pour over the fish and serve.

I haven't tried the first recipe yet.