Signal Crayfish

Reaction score
Spent a pleasant afternoon and evening yesterday; canalside with that Nice Gent who takes those Elderly but Confused Chaps on Outings.

We were pestered by Signals throughout the trip..although caught a few fish as well. This caused me to think......(I can hear you all sobbing already!)

1. Am I correct in believing that having extracted one of the devils from the watercourse you are not permitted to throw the b*gger back?

2. What are the rules about laying a few traps in a watercourse whilst fishing to attract and trap the little critters?

3. I enjoy eating crayfish - we were fishing a rural length of canal but close to an area where narrow boats were moored and a small marina was located. Advice on cleaning and ensuring peak eating condition prior to either the Trotsky Ice Pick in the head or the "instant" rolling boil form of despatch?

4. Got any recipes Lee?

Thanks

Poshers

E

EC

I think Lee's advice was to place said critters in fresh water with some diced carrot, when they start poo-ing carrot it's time for the pot.

Can't remember the said cooking advice though I think it was to simply boil.

Reaction score
Thanks Peter,

I'll have to stick to Aldi's crayfish tails! What I need to discover is the issue of whether we need to put the critters back when they catch us or a quick lob over a hedge..away from any watercourse, is required?

I'll email the EA to find out and share the info.

Paul

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thats right, you can't remove crayfish without a licence. One of the clubs I am a member of, have a licence to remove them from the river Rib, thousands of the Bu**ers have been removed, but it hasn't made any difference, still thousands in the river and ledgering is a no no.

F

Fred Bonney

You don't need to clean them, just dump them in a big pot of boiling water, infused with Dill.

If the canalwater is bad theywouldn't be in it!!

De-head them if you catch them accidently,otherwise they will turn around and come back from behind the hedge.Maybe even give you nip as they pass/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Diesel be alright/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Windy

Reaction score
Posh: I did a long and comprehensive post reviewing the whole legal position in relation to taking crayfish a while ago. Can't lay my hands on it directly but a wee bit of searching should turn it up.

Fred: not advised to eat straight from the water. Most of them are OK but some are not, carrying some unpleasant bacteria within their flesh.

To get rid of this you need to keep them for three days in a bucket of water with - I was told - potato peelings. Carrot peelings may work, for all I know but don't quote me as the source !

When prepared, delicious...... /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. Very good as a garnish with poached Barbel fillets.

Reaction score
Thanks Windy, I have recollections of this.

I'll have a root around. The short term issue fo me is whether to return the little cuties or not - and if not how to dispose of them safely. (I'm awaiting EA guidance on this)

F

Fred Bonney

Windy, I take them straight from boiling water /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

No ill effects no no no no no, yes yes.....

What do you poach your fillets in? Both need something adding to give them some sort of flavour.

Posh, you must not return them, safe disposal is when they are dead.

Windy

Reaction score
Sancerre + lemon and fresh dill.

Dot fillet with butter. Put on a large piece of foil with a sprig of dill underneath it. Put another sprig of dill on top, then wrap the foil, leaving it open at one end to finish.

Finish by pouring in a glass of the sancerre + juice of a lemon squeezed into it. Close the end of the foil to seal, place on baking tray and then bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 170.

Open carefully so as not to get burnt by steam. Pour poaching liquid into a small bowl and whisk in a small knob of butter. Pour over fish and serve with new potatoes and wilted spinach. Scatter freshly boiled crayfish tails over the fillet.

Lovely.

F

Fred Bonney

Waste of Sancerre, now if we were talking perch fillets/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Waste of Sancerre, now if we were talking perch fillets/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Muscadet sur Lie then!

F

Fred Bonney

Carrott?

Is he still about?

How's your Fantasyfootball team doing Carrot?

NO, not even from the shady side and not even Liebfraumilch

Windy

Reaction score
He popped up again the other day...

Muscadet and Chablis a wee bit too dry I find. Liebfraumilch <u>definitely</u> too much sugar left in the wine as medium / medium sweet, can cause the liquid to caramelise, brown and 'catch' underneath the fish fillet. Which spoils the flavour and can make it a real pain trying to get the fillet off the foil.

Perch much much better quickly grilled with a wee smear of garlic butter.

Dammit. Can't find my post about Crayfish. Knew I should have kept the draft as a word file for future reference. The search engine is the only real weakness in this forum.

There's one short off the cuff and not completely researched and accurate post I did in an older thread first, then a more comprehensive and properly researched summary later when I had the time. Don't rely on the earlier one....