Opinion Piece ? Where are the River Anglers?

D

Dave Slater

I'm here as well

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Seriously though there still are a lot of river anglers on certain stretches. They tend to flock to places which have recently produced big fish and ignore other stretches. This is great for those of us who like to move around and fish quiet stretches as we know where the crowds will be and can avoid them. It is more like this these days as there are not the large shoals of fish there once were and the publicity machine highlights certain areas for big fish. The publicity machine can also be inaccurate, which is great if you actually know what the inaccuracies are.

Morespiders

Reaction score
With the increase in cormorants, river anglers have decreased rapidly, its the smell that attracts them, and not many wifes bother to report them missing, four of my mates havent been seensince they last went on the Ribble in August 2008, only there tackle was left with cormorant feetmarks all over it

Reaction score
An interesting piece Jeff.

It gels with my thoughts about our local canals. As you know I'm based (exiled) in the North West. We have miles of local canals throughout the area. These strike me as being probably less fished than even the rivers. There are, like the rivers, one or two stretches that are the exceptions that prove the rule - popular "match" lengths.

The last three Sundays I have walked three different stretches of canal - each walk a minimum of 3 miles. I have seen 4 anglers (one of whom was fishing from his back garden). On two of these stretches I am aware that FM members have regularly caught specimen fish. On another stretch a kindly gent from "Help the Aged" and I spent a very pleasant afternoon and evening fishing, catching a good stamp of fish...and the odd signal. Yet most of these stretches are untouched year in year out - despite being relatively easily accessible by car. Blimey some of them even have a pub you can pop into between bites!!

The fish are there....both on canal and river...

Is it us? Are we losing the skills and finesse...therefore the confidence. Perhaps it is the insatiable desire for instant gratification...some venues do need to be worked on to produce the rewards.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
With my birthday coming up soon and the annual ritual of my son asking me to take him fishing for the day to celebrate (a very strange arrangement costing me money) I remember last years outing.

Due to my birthday being during the Close(d) Season we went along to a local commercial. We had to walk around the whole venue, two lakes and a canal/snake lake before finding two adjacent swims. It was packed to the gunnels.

Whilst fishing the river last October two guys walked up and stood behind me watching. The younger of the two was bemoaning the fact that my rods were set too high on the rests. The other chap had to explain that this helped to keep the line off the water in the dropping flood to maintain bait position.

So where are the youngsters and river anglers? Catching carp on commercials.

klik2change

Reaction score
Hi posh, given the scarcity of anglers, would you be prepared to say which canals and where - especially the one with the pub on the bank.

I'm not actually thinking of fishing them myself, though i might when on holiday back home... but I have nephews up there who may well be interested.

klik2change

Reaction score
As for the original post, I'm a river angler, waiting for the slow months to pass until June. I usually fish the Trent, though nowhere near as often as I would like!

Xplorer1

Reaction score
My explanations would be:

1) accessibility. Commercials and still waters tend to have car parks and clear directions. Most river streches (in my experience) are tucked away, with access through farms or from lay-bys with "long" unmarked walks to reach them. Once you get there it's not often there are prepared, level, easy pegs waiting for you.

2) ease of fishing. River fishing is harder work, simply put. You can't just sit back and have a cuppa, especially if you're float fishing: it demands constant attention and action, and (dare I say it) more skill to be successful.

3) lack of carp. Carp seem to be an obsession (whether for fishing or keeping, like koi) with many people, and the majority of carp are in still water (I know our rivers contain carp, often big ones, but not in the numbers that still waters have, nor as findable).

From a purely personal perspective, it suits me - I get my club's river stretches largely to myself. Which may be another reason - river fishing, it seems to me, is inherently a more isolated and solitary pursuit than in an almost "urbanised" lakeside setting

John Heelis

Reaction score
Before I took up this great sport, and around 10years ago I used to live in devon not far from Tiverton and the river Exe. There is a road that heads towards Exeter parralle to the river, with what you could describe as nice places to fish yet I never saw any anglers. But in the town there is a good tackle shop and you would see plenty of anglers purchasing bait etc . I know that there is an excellent canal there, but I can't say weather that's where all the anglers went. Also I have to admit, due to me being a non-angler at the time, I'm not sure if there were any fish in the Exe.

One day I'm going to return and give the Exe a try, there is a pub called the Fishermans Cott at Bickleigh Bridge that as i remember has the fishing rights for the stretch of bank it occupies. Virtually straight across the road is another pub called the Trout inn, so I'm assuming that there are fish in the Exe.

As for the Riverfishermen and where they have gone, my personal opinion is that many people are too obsessed with catching one big carp or any of the other biggie for that matter rather than the fun of "playing" the river and catching lots of smaller fish. And the riverfisher has declined in numbers to a level where you just don't notice them any more. I suppose that the decline in matches on rivers has a lot to do with it aswell. Or they could just all be wearing cammo and you cant see them!

Me I'm still not clever enough to fish the big rivers yet but I will, after all i've only been at this for about 18mth's but i still have no attraction to the commercials i like my dirty trolley infested canal.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I still get on the river as much as ever; 60 times last season though plenty of short sessions of a couple of hours travelling light with minimal gear. I suspect part of the problem is that too many people carry far too much gear regardless of type of fishing and rivers are too much of an obstacle course for that approach. Expectations are the other problem; it is tougher on the river though that hardly bothers me. I still enjoy my stillwater fishing, even ended up on a lake on 14th March on a water that shuts for the breakto get a nice 6-02 tench before a last three hours on the river. Hoping to get on moving water again next weekend though somewhat unconventional though legal (sea fishing) tactics - not sure what to expect though I'll be floatfishing conventionally.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Good article Mr Woodhouse, some very interesting points.

I would be one of those people who enjoy the fact that rivers are sparcely fished, I don't like being cramped inbetween 40 other fisherman 15 yards apart.

Selfish? Maybe, but I don't force people to stay away in order to appease my preference of fishing in seclusion, I just take advantage of and enjoythe current circumstances.

This doesn't mean I don't enjoy fishing company, I do enjoy it a great deal, just not every time I go. The solitude is one of the factors I enjoy about fishing.

I like your point about the close season and the number of anglers, not an angle I'd previously considered but an extremely valid one worth adding to the list of reasons for abolishing... etc...

I think the majority of anglers nowadays are too lazy to walk the river bank or too lazy to work for a fish andsome only fish for carp. Obviously some are virtually obliged to fish comfy commercials through disability or illness but most make a free choice to stick to lakes. It can only be a socially ingrained behaviour and it most likely governed by society's desire for easy(ish), instant results in comfortable surroundings.

If that's what they enjoy then bully for them, I enjoy the rivers and my solitude, I didn't ask them to go and fish lakes, they chose that route and it just sohappens to fit in with my enjoyment of the rivers.

Does that make everyone a winner?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Where are the river anglers"

Well, I cannot speak for the (unsafe?) Thames in popular areas, but for those of us who fish the southern rivers (south of Windsor that is) we are still here. Come on down for a session or three Jeff and see for yourself.

For those who wish to fish on crowded pools then you have the opportunity, for those of us who prefer the peace and solitude of a quiet river, well, we have ours too.

Win-win situation really.

A lot of 'modern' anglers cannot handle the difficulties of a decent river, compared to the ease of lakes and commercials either, so again, a win-win situation.

Now to important things - Barcelona versus the Chavskis just started . . . . .

Come on Barca!!!!!!!

slime monster

Reaction score
I am keen river angler but alas am living a fair way from consistent sport on rivers ,the cost of fuel and bait along with the shortened hours due to travel has reduced the amount of river trips I now take,

John the Exe is my nearest river ,it does get fished but is extremely patchy even on its most inviting looking stretches ,many anglers have abandoned it as a result .

Max

Reaction score
I'm all river , now sorting out my bait and rigs waiting for the saeson to start up, I fish the Trent and Idle.
Not really anywhere else i fish apart fron the chesterfield canal and warping drain.
To be honest the quieter the better for me.
I love the walking part even if it is a mile plus, always reminds me that i'm still fit and healthy. I just wish that some parts of the Trent were more accesable or even secure for us to leave our car, i sometimes get my dad to drop me off.

George387

Reaction score
I was in hibernation until now,/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifseriously though I enjoy the closed season to sort out my gear, do the odd jobs around the house & garden I always promised the mrs, & I do still go for my saturday walk along the river watching the wildlife and doing a bit of fish spotting as well as taking the fly rod just incase I decide to have a dabble at those wily trout.

Its a peaceful & beautiful time of the year and time to reflect on the forthcoming new season./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Traditional Floats

W

Wolfman Woody

Neil (Xplorer1) has got it right re - commercials, or most of it.

SECURITY!

Good car parks that are reasonably secure and close by in case the yobs get in. So therefore not too far to walk with all of that extra tackle. Ease of fishing, being a bit laid back. I can understand that, but a lack of carp?

Anyway, talking with Granville today I had thought of doing a follow-up, but maybe I'll put my thoughts here and spare you the pain on another occasion.

Reflect for one minute on the lead/swan debates of the 80s and how we were badgered into giving up lead shot. Following that the swan population started to explode and those with a purpose were convinced that it was us anglers all along that had cause the problem.

However, I'd already been in touch with a Prof. French at the labs where a lot of the dead swans were examined and he had said that although split lead shot had been found in many of the birds, "It may not directly have been the cause of death." He pointed also to lead found in petrol at the time and the fact that many hire boats on the Broads were powered by petrol engines. The lead from the petrol floated in the surface film of any spilt fuel and with people throwing in bread amongst the spillages, it was conceivable that they were also ingesting that lead too.

What I'm saying is that once we had banned lead and there was an immediate benefit to swan recruitment, people may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Could it have been more of the lead found in petrol and, given that there was a big switchover to unleaded and more importantly, diesel, could this have been the main cause?

Now, thinking in the 90s to when A) we got rid of the close season on stillwaters and B) there was a tremendous growth rate in commercials, are we right in thinking that this was a recipe for the decline of river fishing?

Perhaps what Neils says, above, is correct and that by keeping the close season on rivers was in fact forcing anglers to fish the easier, more secure commercials for those three months. Once there and once sampled, it was hard to get them back. Now that it is an established form of fishing I doubt they ever will return.

Sad really.

W

Wolfman Woody

sarkandas%20wagglers.jpg

Strangely enough George, I used to make sarcandas wagglers very much like that!

I take it they're yours?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I don't just want an answer like “They're all fishing commercials” or “muddy ponds”, as some would have it.

Jeff, for me that is the real problem. When Com's sprung up the matches on the rivers virtually stopped (down here they did). To my anoyance they still return every autumn and occasionally in winter (yep, very selfish on my behalf, but if the river aint worthy of them during the summer, why should they grace it when their Com is frozen and pi$$ my day off with a surprise match?). My local used to be fabulous for match anglers, we had nationals held on it and there were loads of swims. These swims have gone, no one fishes them anymore. The banks are overgrown and you can't get near the water. You'd be lucky to find10-12 swims on a length of water that used to accomodate 60 match anglers!

So my point is, if the water has basically been abandoned and left to it's own devices Dads aint gonna take their kids down there. Kids who know a bit about fishing won't bother either. The ease of fishing a Com' and theguarantee of catching fish far outweighs the lure of a river to a youngster and matchman alike.

I'm not having a dig at all, but why was the junior angling day held on one of your club lakes? Kids need to catch fish or they will lose interest in it, a lake stuffed with fish or a river that won't guarantee a bite?

That'sthe answer to your question Jeff"Where are the river anglers?"