Instant gratification

A

alan whittington

Yes Paul,but ive lost count the amount of mid-double carp ive had on 3lb b.s. whilst chubbing on maggot in lakes,and i certainly havnt lost many(no snags luckily),if i hadused heavier tackle because of the threat of carp as is the suggestioni wouldnt get many chub.That said i believe thegrounding in my formative years in angling taught me how to play fish,and there isno one way,you must adjust tothe swim,now the limits of your tackle and have total confidence in it.One thing to say Chris,look outCOS it happens on here too,it seems you must agree withany fishingsociety's and angling press'sdoctrine on the b.s. of line to be used for each species and if you use less YOU will be suitably chastised/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif,christ im still sore(nice though).

preston96

Reaction score
Alan, I have fished carp waters for other species the same as yourself.........and caught carp to 24lb in exactly the manner you say.

You won't get chastised by me...........if i have left the odd small hook in a carps mouth over the years i have fished it wont hurt them.

Experienced carp anglers who i know have served their angling "apprenticship" and progressed to carp as the section of the sport they prefer....just like the roach or chub angler they can be skilled in their ways............i don't think they would chastise us either.

But there is a section of modern anglers who own just 3lb test curve rods etc and that is all they have ever done...........now they, in their ignorance may well have a dig?

F

Frothey

like Paul says, i can remember using 6lb line to get the distance required years back - but there again, rods had lower test curves and we used to moan about getting cut off on bars all the time.

but on the flip side, i would rather use 12/15lb mainline and a weaker hooklink - i dont think 6lb line will last long lobbing method/big pva bags around - and i dont think not using 6lb line has ever cost me a fish. Although I mainly fish for stupid aqua pigs, i rarely use anything below 5lb, even when fishing drys/buzzers for trout.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
A very interesting article Gary and I completely agree with your thinking about "Super Venues". When the Monument was created and I watched Matt and Mick fish it I was gobsmacked. They obviously enjoyed it, but it was just an advert for the Monument and instant gratification.

"Rape" is the right word for your mere, you also used the word "abhorrent" I would call it disgusting and disgraceful.

I take my hat off to you for not going to a Southern water to fulfill your roach dream, I recently did exactly that. I'm not ashamed of it at all, I've slogged my guts out to catch a '2' on my local river for the last three seasons without joy. So I took up the invite from a friend and spent two days on such a water and still didn't get my '2', but I enjoyed every minute of it. The surroundings were beautiful, the wildlife was a pleasure to watch, so where the roach rolling on the surface at dusk which is a sight I've never witnessed before.

Does this make me a hypocrite? Am I after instant gratification? I don't think so, the roach have grown on in this venue and they are natural. I decided to fish for these roach because I couldn't see the point in denying myself the opportunity to catch some stunning stillwater roach and possibly a '2' and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I can't wait to get back on my local river and long for autumn to arrive when I can go after my "dream" again, but when my local is over the banks I know where I wil be heading.....

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
This one, I think it is still the current issue:

current_issue_small-trans.png

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Paul Howarth wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

This one, I think it is still the current issue:
current_issue_small-trans.png

</blockquote>
Yep....thats the one, and this months is a good en!.................even John Bailey, who i don't usually like.

A

alan whittington

Frothey,i can imagine instances when extremely long casts are required with highly flavoured single hookbaits that 6lb line with a shocker is deemed acceptable but people who read the angling press and seethat Joe Bloggs who has had 85 30's uses this item and that item goes out and buys it all with no understanding why or what the damn gears for(that is if the balls......g superstar uses the stuff at all,good old sponsorship),half of these anglers couldnt catch gudgeon or little roach on the canal yet,though there they are targetting fish of massive size with only a small chance of success stitching up lakes and baiting with a bottomless bait bucket,not illegal buttotally absurd,/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif.

preston96

Reaction score
No different to the wanna be match anglers who dont know how to use that £1000 pole really Alan.

To some cash ain't an issue nowadays........when we were learning our angling skills it was......in "we" i count you and Frothey.

Different directions but still obviously experienced anglers.

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>alan whittington wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Frothey,i can imagine instances when extremely long casts are required with highly flavoured single hookbaits that 6lb line with a shocker is deemed acceptable</blockquote>

i'm talking about the 80's - a lot of the carp angling was done with 6 or 8lb line - not just for long casts. But there again, 2.75tc rods were viewed as "cod poles" back then!

the "all the gear, no idea" thing isn't unique to fishing - people spend thousands on golf clubs and joining the right courses because it thinks it will make them better golfers. My dad turns up with a carrier bag half full of manky old clubs and pars the course!

spending a grand on a guitar will make you a better player.

buying a BMW instantly makes you a better driver (fact - they can drive in any lane without indicating!)

people always look for shortcuts when they are new to something, it's only after you've been doing something a while that you realise there is no substitute to hard work! even if everyone used the generic "method" (bait, bolt rig and buzzers) some will always catch more than others....

F

Frothey

but to be fair, i worked my way up to carp angling as most did back then. i'd been fishing something like 7 years before I even thought about it, they were so un-obtainable back then

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>the tenners in the post Paul /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
Great....i can get indicators on the beemer now! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

oh, i didn't realise you were one of them....... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

D

Dave Slater

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>but to be fair, i worked my way up to carp angling as most did back then. i'd been fishing something like 7 years before I even thought about it, they were so un-obtainable back then</blockquote>
A very good point Frothey. Much the same as myself. I used to love my carp fishing before it became too commercial. Now I can't stand it.

F

Frothey

i go through phases with it, couldn't get motivated as there's little to motivate me down this way, been doing much more "roving" sea fishing lately. variety the spice of life and all that. unfortunately all the rivers are stitched up by game beats, there's some cracking roach and dace around down here......

Muffin

Reaction score
I agree with most points discussed above and I also thought this issue of CF was the best read of a popular fishing mag I've had in ages.

But surely there is one over riding factor in all this. Money.

Commercials are called commercials as they are commercially viable. They make the owners money and at the end of the day unfortunately in most of life and in the world, money makes things happen. Its not just all about carp either, its about making a venue that can accomidate loads of anglers and one where everyone will catch no matter what their skill level, so they want to keep going fishing. Either that or anglers fish a lake in the knowledge that they stand the chance of catching some huge fat carp that will get their picture on the front of some angling weekly. To me these are also commercial venues.

This is why fishing will be driven forward mostly by profit making ventures, or this is the way I see it anyway.

I hope I'm wrong but at least I still know that there are a number of other people who feel the same way as I do.