Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default

This may not appeal to some, i hope it doesn't offend the carp anglers whom i totally respect and look upon as friends.......

Gary Knowles article in CF is the most thought provoking article to appear in any angling publication in at least the last 30yrs.

I have said it before and i will say it again, carp fishing is a wonderful part of our sport, but doe's any true angler want it to walk over all other aspects of our sport?

If you have a passion for all angling and what that means then read Gary's article in Mays CF........it touched a nerve in me that doesn't happen often.

I class Gary as pal.....i hope he does the same, BUT, trust me.this is above the "oldpals" thing.

Do we want a fishing world totally dominated by carp?......or a life long fishing experience where carp are just part of the whole scene?

Gary (aka Barney on here! [img]/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]).....puts it into word far better than i can.........its well worth reading.

Totally agree Paul.

Gary's writing is excellent as is a lot within CF (except the ramblings towards the back pages!).

Gary has the skill to express his anglingviews in a very thought provoking and interesting way. He's obviously a good angler, able to apply his skills to all sorts of variations of our sport, not that many such anglers around nowadays.

Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
    Blog Entries

I read it on Friday evening and totally agree with Gary's thoughts.

I want to able to fish places where I can target tench, bream or roach and other species. I like carp too but why ruin established mixed fisheries with them?

I don't understand why someone would want to limit themselves to one type of fish at the expense of others.

Doesn't the Environment Agency have any policy on keeping some of our natural waters free from species like carp that have tendancy to take over?
    I believe in reintarnation - I'll come back to life as a hillbilly.

If they dont they really should do!

Frothey Guest

i partly blame the "mixed species" anglers - if there was enough of them prepared to pay a tenner+ per day to fish for them, lake owners wouldn't have to fill their lakes with pellet munching carp to make a living..... and if enough paying customers moaned to the owner about the carp they would be turned to fertiliser in double quick time!

luckily there's still a few lakes down here where you can fish for bream/roach/rudd without too much of a risk of carp getting in the way..... it's just the tench that are lacking.

i think just as many carp anglers bemoan the state of some waters, it's just some are lucky enough to fish "proper" waters where the fishing is like what it used to be, back in the old days..... boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, lol!

alan whittington Guest

The article mentions some waters being stitched up by carpanglers lines and baiting,i have had some experiencewith carbellers doing similar its a sad tale that is unlikely to change,as the selfish attitude ofsome will always ruin it for others,i mean to say what sort of angler would turn up in a swim next to a roach angler and feed half a gallon of hemp plus other baits without a bit of guilt in fact some of them even smirk,b.....ds,this comes from an angler who rarely fishes for roach now but doesnt want to ruin anyone elses day or have someone ruin mine[img]/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif[/img].

7. Default

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

i partly blame the &quot;mixed species&quot; anglers - if there was enough of them prepared to pay a tenner+ per day to fish for them, lake owners wouldn't have to fill their lakes with pellet munching carp to make a living..... and if enough paying customers moaned to the owner about the carp they would be turned to fertiliser in double quick time!

luckily there's still a few lakes down here where you can fish for bream/roach/rudd without too much of a risk of carp getting in the way..... it's just the tench that are lacking.

i think just as many carp anglers bemoan the state of some waters, it's just some are lucky enough to fish &quot;proper&quot; waters where the fishing is like what it used to be, back in the old days..... boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, lol!</blockquote>

As you are a carpangler whom i respect, i'm glad you take my post in the way i intend it Froths.......eg,it is not aimed at carp or carpanglers,just at the wanton waste of good fishing for other species.

My first introduction to true big carp was on a large water that held a variety of fish,those carp would show themselves to anyone who took the trouble to look for them and tho few were catchable and would be a true prize.

I think you make a good point about &quot;mixed species&quot;anglers having to be prepared to pay..........i would for good fishing.

The other part of Gary's article,eg,the removal of specimen fish from their natural envoiroment to a small &quot;holding pond&quot; is something that doesn't apealto me though.

Anglers have been targeting big carp for eons, its not carp angling which creates a carp dominated hobby, its the commercial wheels of the sport (and its profit potential) which have driven us to this level of debate. The same could also be said of match angling, though its impact on mixed species angling is less noticable (and I would argue, has increased fish diversity, albeit in some cases at the expense of specimen sizes).

Allowing commerce to lead our hobby by the nose seems an unavoidable, but I strongly feel its unqualified to shape the entry of new anglers into the sport. This profit-oriented grooming via media I feel is their biggest sin to date. Commecial fisheries will always respond to demand, its not solely their fault its carp dominated.

Ok, deep breath.. If we had a mandatory national fishing qualification which new anglers had to take before being allowed to fish alone, it should offer the opportunity for new anglers to gain experience in catching ALL species of fish and put them in a neutral zone, a better position to explore all avenues, and make their own decisions on direction based on their own experience, less-so the media surrounding it.

Love it or hate it, I really believe its a step we will have to take soon if diversity is to be maintained.

Please do not be offended by anything I've written, its only my opinion. Rant over, thanks for reading.

Chris.
    Have your say on the removal of fish from our waters HERE

9. Default

Chris........i for one do not look on your post as rant, i personally find it very well thought out and thought provoking.

Dave Slater Guest

Very interesting. Personally I think fishing has been heading in a bad direction for some years now, which is probably what Gary was thinking. Eventually there will be no diversity and all anglers will be like robots.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast