Luke Felton

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It is with great sadness I have to report the death of Luke Felton.

Luke started his working life at Anglers Mail but left to join Angling Times as a reporter. He rose through the ranks pretty swiftly. He left to work for a spell on two of Emap's trade publications after which he andMark Williamsjointly set up and launched PCF for Burlington Publications in Windsor, which I contributed to every issue.Latterly, he and Markran it for Harmsworth at Notting Hill Gate until it was bought and closed by IPC, then owners of Anglers Mail.

Luke then emigrated to work on an English newspaper in Hong Kong, returning to work as City sub-editor on the Daily Express.

It was at this point that he discovered he had Hodgkin's Lymphoma - a serious cancer - but was treated and recovered.

In recent months, he was working full-time on The Times as a sub-editor.

Mark Williams: "He was an instinctive journalist with a strong sense of justice and an ability to communicate at all levels of business. As a part-qualified accountant, he could dissect company accounts and brought several companies to book publicly for slick accounting practise. His bravery was not without its risks; his stories twice brought their publisher to court with allegations of libel.

"He was a difficult editor to work with - exacting and strong, able to spot any laziness at 50 paces. But he brought real quality to any publication. He was a very close and valued friend to Mark Williamsthroughout, motivational and supportive and never, ever dull. He was also a gifted angler who, in his youth, competed successfully in matches. Sadly, he gave up fishing after PCF.

"He is survived by his wife, Karen and their son Jacob, and his son by a previous relationship, Matthew. There will be an inquest into his death."

W

Wolfman Woody

Just 47 by all accounts. Too young to die.

Heartfelt commiserations to his family and friends.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Very sad is that. Sure i dealt with Luke on a few occasions many years ago when Richard Howard was a reporter.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Condolences to his family and friends ...... RIP

M

MarkTheSpark

We buried Luke yesterday at Brockley Cemetery, SE London. It was, of course, a very sad occasion. He was just 44 years old, and leaves two sons.

But Brockley Cemetery is rather lovely - madly overgrown and wild, with ring-necked parakeets in the great many huge and ancient trees. My old mate has a nice spot under a cedar. His wife selected a very tasteful wicker coffin for him - Luke was never a show-off.

Afterwards, we toasted his memory, Irish wake style, at a local bar.? One by one, I talked to his former colleagues at the Daily Express, Times, FT and Daily Mail. One said: "He was the best sub-editor I have ever worked with. He was a perfectionist."

So farewell my old friend. Your light burned very brightly.