Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twaite shad

1. Default

I knew the Allis shad was a protected species and could not be fished for.....i understood it was still ok to fish for twaite shad.

I read in Coarse fisherman that both species are now a protected species and cannot legally be fished for.

I have had a quick google and it is all very confusing.....one " hit" even said anglers on the Wye and severn were being asked to give feedback on their twaite captures.

Twaite have been a closed season favourite of mine for many years, and like CF's contributor i didn't know it was supposedly illegal to fish for them now.

I don't want to do anything i shouldn't, if twaite need this action then so be it......but can anyone give me a link to where it catorgorically states they can't be fished for?

Fred Bonney Guest

SHAD

Hope this helps Paul

3. Default

I'm not convinced that there aint been a mistake made Fred....the Allis has, as far as i know been protected for a few years now.....

The first part of your link simply says Shad...........do they really realise there are two variations?

Getting some Police forces to even know what a Shad is could be an uphill struggle let alone the fact there are two!!

I suppose i could call and see Sgt Ian Guildford and ask if he had training before his secondment![img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Strange fish shad...fished the Wye for salmon years ago and after an accidental capture we decided to have a day on the shad simply to have a bit of sport.Great fun on light gear but if we'd realised we were fishing their spawning grounds we wouldn't have done it.

But at least I can say I've caught one.Prior to this they were just one of those strange fish on the cigarette cards that you weren't convinced really existed...like houting and green barbel !

5. Default

<blockquote class=quoteheader>S-Kippy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Strange fish shad...fished the Wye for salmon years ago and after an accidental capture we decided to have a day on the shad simply to have a bit of sport.Great fun on light gear but if we'd realised we were fishing their spawning grounds we wouldn't have done it.

But at least I can say I've caught one.Prior to this they were just one of those strange fish on the cigarette cards that you weren't convinced really existed...like houting and green barbel !</blockquote>
    you fish for salmon and make that statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

No I dont. I am older and much wiser now but at the time it seemed like a good idea.

A salmon on a fly by design remains my ultimate goal.I've had a few but never on a fly.

Fred Bonney Guest

Further down PaulSome facts about shad <ul>[*]Two types of shad are found in Welsh rivers &ndash; Twaite and Allis. Both are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. [/list]

Which I suppose is different to

Allis shad is listed on Appendix II of the Bern Convention and Annexes II and V of the Habitats Directive. It is protected under Schedule 5 of the WCA 1981.

8. Default

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Further down PaulSome facts about shad <ul>[*]Two types of shad are found in Welsh rivers &ndash; Twaite and Allis. Both are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. [/list]

Which I suppose is different to

Allis shad is listed on Appendix II of the Bern Convention and Annexes II and V of the Habitats Directive. It is protected under Schedule 5 of the WCA 1981.</blockquote>

Yep...i suppose that is a definite statement.

you know what mate.....it looks like i and many others have been breaking the acts for a good few years.......they certainly haven't made it very &quot;known&quot;.

Still, i was in good company, the Tackle shops didn't know and neither did Bob in CF.

Hmmmmm..........why aint the Twaite on that second part though and what does &quot;protected&quot; mean in the first bit? It needs a definite statement, something along the lines of &quot; Both Allis and Twaite shad cannot be fished for&quot; to be printed on licences......along with anything else we can't try to catch.

9. Default

<blockquote class=quoteheader>S-Kippy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

No I dont. I am older and much wiser now but at the time it seemed like a good idea.

A salmon on a fly by design remains my ultimate goal.I've had a few but never on a fly. </blockquote>

The salmon are in the river for exactly the same reason as the Shad.....my point is how can you make the statement about shad and still fish for salmon?

I must admit that when Bob showed me where he'd caught the shad I would have had a go for them myself had the time been right; like many others I didn't realise they were a protected species to the extent that you can't fish for them.

Like Paul says,it hasn't beenmade common knowledge.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast