Buying on E-Bay

Donald Bain

Reaction score
I buy and sell on E-Bay quite a lot, but I never fail to be amazed at the prices some people pay for stuff.

Just recently an Abu 704 went for £65, you can get a new one for that!

I have seen rods and reels that are still in the shops go on as "used" and fetch more than the shop price, is this "auction fever?"

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Might be there mates bidding up the price for them, If there mate wins they both recieve positive feedback and neither the seller or the buyer has had to part with anything.

My best advice i can ever give anyone, is to research the item or items of Fishing tackle that they want before bidding on the items. Set yourself a budget and stick to it as much as possible.

Sometimes it is just auction madness, but if everyone is satisfied at the end of the auction, then everyone's a winner.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I always check online first what i can buy the item for. Then bid less at the last minute this stops you getting bidding feaver.

I will also ask at my local shop if they can match the buy it now price.

The other main thing to watch is the delivery charge.This can be well over the odds.

ebay is not what it use to be. To many shops on there also sellers bewere if the buyer says the item as not arrived or as advertisedthey will go with them and deduct the money from your paypal account.

Saying all that there are still some bargains available on there.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice from Bryan.

I tend to set my price for an item, wait until the end and bid that price - If I win then fair enough, if not then it was not worth the money, to me.

A

alan whittington

Dead right Peter,i tend to use it nowadays for lines and hooks for unless im actually out near a tackle shop i find it costs more to drive and park than the postage(and you tend to be buying from tackle shops anyway).The only thing is they never seem to do it when i sell so people always end up with a bargain at my expense/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif.

W

Wolfman Woody

My stock of Owner hooks was recently depleted by a 'certain-some-folks' helping themselves /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif and I had a look around for a shop that could replace that type and the sizes. Ebay came up and when I looked, the seller has all the sizes at RPP, fair enough. The postage was 65p on the first item and 15p per item thereafter.

I ordered four packets and paid £1.10 postage. I couldn't get to my tackle shop for that money without using my bus pass and even if I did, he doesn't (or didn't) sell them.

I have my eye on yet another Ebay rod right now, not saying which in case you outbid me!

Must stop this bidding and buying of tackle. What's the cure, Peter?

Daft question to wrong bloke - insert smiley thingy /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

Donald Bain

Reaction score
I actually use the Auction Sniper, which means that I set my price and if I'm lucky I get the item, as like Peter, it's only worth what I'm prepared to pay.

Before I discovered this I was the victim of "Bidder uppers" more than once!

tubs

Reaction score
Recently I have got some real bargains on ebay. I purchased a trolley for 25 quid. Yet when I checked it was worth around 39.99. Bargain me thinks! However the other side to that is sometimes you can get really ripped off on ebay!!!!

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>tubs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Recently I have got some real bargains on ebay. I purchased a trolley for 25 quid. Yet when I checked it was worth around 39.99. Bargain me thinks! However the other side to that is sometimes you can get really ripped off on ebay!!!!</blockquote>

Postage?..........what if it falls apart?

I use ebay, it's great.....to many know what quality tackle is now, or we are all bidding against each other....it's happened before on here lol

But i would not use the site to save a fiver on something £50 in the shops.....i would rather give it one of the local tackle shops and have them there when i need those maggots or other things you cant get on "E.bay"

A

alan whittington

Agreed Paul but thats ok if you go every week for maggots etc. but during the season i dont go into my only decent tackle shop(leslies,where you can get most decent accessories)but once a month maybe more,if i were to go down every time i wanted some hooks it could cost £4+ fuel and parking(if you cant get into their car park)and then there's the risk they've sold out and i do tend to stock up but there is always something you didnt remember.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Top Tip......

Never bid on anything whilst pi$$ed.............

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Top Tip......

Never bid on anything whilst pi$$ed.............

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>
u are a tit Spiller hahahahahahahaha

tank

Reaction score
i buy on ebay simply because its easy and cheap. i got two bait boxes brand new 2.2 pint for only £3 and that included postage. Also got a brand new double reel case for £5 so for some things its worth looking using for.

redalert06

Reaction score
it goes both ways, poorly listed items can lead to bargains but some people pay way over the market value sometimes. always bid at the last minute the maximum you are willing to pay through a sniping site like Auctionsniper *** to get the best deal.

*** this is my referral link that gets me free snipes if you register but I have been using it for years and saved hundreds so highly recommend it. the first three snipes are free.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

GoodOldBoy

Reaction score
I frequently buy terminal tackle from there, stuff like rubber ledger beads 100 for 99p, recently bought a zip top groundbait bowl for a fiver, Turned up and whilst it does as groundbait bowl it also doubles up as a cool bag. BONUS!

That said there are some real rip off merchants on there, Have seen sacks of groundbait on there for around £6, Then the P+P is £17. Wonder how many pepole have fallen for that old chesnut.

Also you can search http://www.missing-auctions.com/for misspelled ebay listings and again pickup some bargins there.

Its just a case of setting your limits and sticking to them as well as shopping around first.

Good luck in all your purchases.