Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying on E-Bay

I buy and sell on E-Bay quite a lot, but I never fail to be amazed at the prices some people pay for stuff.

Just recently an Abu 704 went for £65, you can get a new one for that!

I have seen rods and reels that are still in the shops go on as "used" and fetch more than the shop price, is this "auction fever?"

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Yes, It's crazy! The only thing I buy on ebay are items I can't buy localy, or vintage items.

Might be there mates bidding up the price for them, If there mate wins they both recieve positive feedback and neither the seller or the buyer has had to part with anything.

My best advice i can ever give anyone, is to research the item or items of Fishing tackle that they want before bidding on the items. Set yourself a budget and stick to it as much as possible.

Sometimes it is just auction madness, but if everyone is satisfied at the end of the auction, then everyone's a winner.

Tight Lines [img]/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif[/img]

I always check online first what i can buy the item for. Then bid less at the last minute this stops you getting bidding feaver.

I will also ask at my local shop if they can match the buy it now price.

The other main thing to watch is the delivery charge.This can be well over the odds.

ebay is not what it use to be. To many shops on there also sellers bewere if the buyer says the item as not arrived or as advertisedthey will go with them and deduct the money from your paypal account.

Saying all that there are still some bargains available on there.

Blog Entries

Good advice from Bryan.

I tend to set my price for an item, wait until the end and bid that price - If I win then fair enough, if not then it was not worth the money, to me.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

alan whittington Guest

Dead right Peter,i tend to use it nowadays for lines and hooks for unless im actually out near a tackle shop i find it costs more to drive and park than the postage(and you tend to be buying from tackle shops anyway).The only thing is they never seem to do it when i sell so people always end up with a bargain at my expense[img]/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif[/img].

Wolfman Woody Guest

My stock of Owner hooks was recently depleted by a 'certain-some-folks' helping themselves [img]/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif[/img] and I had a look around for a shop that could replace that type and the sizes. Ebay came up and when I looked, the seller has all the sizes at RPP, fair enough. The postage was 65p on the first item and 15p per item thereafter.

I ordered four packets and paid £1.10 postage. I couldn't get to my tackle shop for that money without using my bus pass and even if I did, he doesn't (or didn't) sell them.

I have my eye on yet another Ebay rod right now, not saying which in case you outbid me!

Must stop this bidding and buying of tackle. What's the cure, Peter?

Daft question to wrong bloke - insert smiley thingy [img]/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif[/img]

I actually use the Auction Sniper, which means that I set my price and if I'm lucky I get the item, as like Peter, it's only worth what I'm prepared to pay.

Before I discovered this I was the victim of "Bidder uppers" more than once!

Recently I have got some real bargains on ebay. I purchased a trolley for 25 quid. Yet when I checked it was worth around 39.99. Bargain me thinks! However the other side to that is sometimes you can get really ripped off on ebay!!!!

Love him or hate him, Ken Rockwells guide to ebay is well worth reading

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast