What Are You Going To Fish For?.

chub angler

Reaction score
no Matt Chub angler sounds better than Barbel Blanker. What are you going to fish for Matt.

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Barbel on the Wye. I live in Hereford and the river is very close to where i live. As this is my first year fishing then i might well be spending most of my time learning from my mistakes but it's the trying that counts. So i'm told anyway.

Muffin

Reaction score
16th of Juneis my birthday, so as a birthday treat I shall be as usual fishing the Bristol Avon.

Have the 17th 18th off work also, am trying to target some river Tench this year but will be quite happy to just do some trotting for whatever fancies biting on the first day of the season.

I cant wait!

PS, this thread has a lot to answer for as its still over 3 weeks till we can get out on the river and now I cant stop dreaming about it........

chub angler

Reaction score
With a bit of luck you might be starting the new season with a new rod.If you get the chance you could pop down before the season starts and prebait a few swims ready for the first day.

chub angler

Reaction score
Muffin whats the average weight of the tench youcatch where you fish?.

chub angler

Reaction score
Rob you should do well theres loads of barbel in the wye and if its like it useally is you would be better off getting an early start because it can get busy on the first day.

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
Thanks chub angler, i'm going to recce some swims from the advice given to me by my local tackle shop, and then he is going to take me down there one evening and give me some advice etc..

He has given me a couple of good but quiet swims to get me going without a crowd etc..being new at any sport is nerve wracking enough without people watching what i'm doing be it right or wrong. If you know what i mean.

I am very much looking forward to it though.

Muffin

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Muffin whats the average weight of the tench youcatch where you fish?.</blockquote>

Good question asI have yet to catch one!

But I do know that at least 2 fish have been caught that are over 12lbs in weight in matches in the last few years, and these are true captures not just rumours! A 12lb river tench is the stuff dreams are made of /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I expect the average is about 3-4lbs, I think they were introduced to the river from a lake upstream, where they had an oxygen problem so they dumped the tench into the river, Happy days!

Will let you know how I get on, hope you have better luck than me with the whiskers!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Same as Simon, I'll be after those tench too.

I'm gonna try the pole mate /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Rob Im hopeing the F in paddlers are not out because they can kill the fishing dead do you shop in woodys or sues?.

Muffin

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Same as Simon, I'll be after those tench too.

I'm gonna try the pole mate /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>
Pole is defo the way forward!Chopped worm or sweetcorn sounds like the way forward, cant wait to be able to see you on the bank again mate!

chub angler

Reaction score
Steve and Simon a 12lb tench from a lake is the stuff dreams are made of for most people let a lone from a river.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
On the 16th I'm going to be fishing a very special stream with my friend Loz. This is the place I spent a lot of my childhood exploring it from source to where it meets the mighty Trent, and where I learnt a large portion of my watercraft. Its really a beautiful place and so full of fish it boggles the mind, considering in many places its small enough to step over!

This stream never fails to throw up surprises, my pb roach of2lb 8oz came from here so who knows what the season may bring! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif
DSC00218_%28Large%29.JPG

Muffin

Reaction score
Fin,

That little river looks awesome /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

And with 2lb+ roach to boot I imagine you will have a very enjoyable first day!

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I’ll book the usual day off work on the 16th and pop down to the Ribble for a 00:00hrs start to the new season, but exactly where depends on the weather. One of the clubs I’m in has just acquired another mile of river but it’s in bandit country, best fished in very bad weather conditions and or late night sessions. I keep promising to do some stick work for the chub which will be in the faster water, I’ve still got my 65th birthday money for a centre pin reel I’ve been promising myself. These last few days I’ve been fish baking in the evenings making up bags of liquidized bread and using up all our spare eggs to make loads of paste. Tonight’s PVA bag filling with micro pellets. My fishing cupboards now filled up with cheap tins of sweetcorn and the freezer with loafs of bread. Roll on the 16th.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Whatever Thames, windrush, evenlode, cherwell, ray and thame throws up. Could range from a bleak to a carp.

chub angler

Reaction score
John I thought I was bad Going at 04:00hrs. I wouldn't mind a bit of rain the day before but I would prefer it to stay dry the day I go. Specisound like you could end up with a bit of a mixed bag. TescoGood luck.

chub angler

Reaction score
Fin that stream looks nice it reminds me of the stream I used to fish when I was a Kid.It didn't have roach though but you could catch eels up to 3lb in the deeper pools or by the bridges.