What Are You Going To Fish For?.

Ace of Spades

Reaction score
chub angler, i use Sue's as its close to where i live and i can get there in about 5 minutes. What's Woody's like? I take it that your not a canoeists best friend then, do they cause a lot of problems or is it only occasional?

Reaction score
Oh my, i cant wait! the day is booked off and i will be on my local river where i have been baiting up,i'll have a rod out for the carp and float along the marginal lilly pads to try beat my 6 1/2 lb pb tench of last year.
Roll on the 16th!

chub angler

Reaction score
Rob Woody's is a good shop and woody is very helpful but can be a little more expensive for bait. Canoeists /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif. Go Early to avoid them because you get groups of up to 20 in 2s and 3s they usually go down the whole club stretch turn round and come back up.

chub angler

Reaction score
Paul not long now and we can all be out on the rivers again. Hopefullyslipping the net under new Pb's. The close season does seem to drag by Roll on the 16th.

S

Sean Meeghan

I'm giving myself the day off on 16th June. Barbel fishing on the Swale will be just the ticket!

Typing this on my new netbook using Google Chrome as a browser. It spell checks my typing, but I can't see the smileys.

chub angler

Reaction score
Whats the average summer weight for barbel on the Swale Sean?. Theres a lot of 3to4lb fish here on the wye.

GoodOldBoy

Reaction score
Joined a new club this year and hope to do a few night sessions targeting bream, Had some good sessions on various parts of the thames and hope this stretch produces the same good sport.

Good luck to all FM members this season, /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Thanks Old boy just think how much fun its going to be finding the fish on your new stretch.

Bridge

Reaction score
i;ll be fishing for what ever pulls my float under 1st,then what ever pulls 2nd,3rd,4th...... get the picture?.the relief to be sat on a river bank fishing ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! LUVLEA CHUBLEA!!!!!!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Depends on the condition of the Wear and whether to chub have spawned.

The last two open days have seen the river in flood (usually co insides with a visit from the mother in-law, not heard of any planned visit so things are looking good) Also depends on my new knee being up to the task. Not looking good at the moment/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Bridge and John the last few seasons the chub have still been spawning. So I was going to target barbel instead thats if the parks not under water 07 style. Hope your Knee is better John and you get to go. My dad cant go this year he is booked in for a double knee op then another new hip.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Funny you should mention eels chub angler, my pb eel came from this stream (possibly the most scared I've been of a fish) along with my best dace, brown trout, and river carp believe it or not! Though with the carp its only because I've not had one from the Trent yet./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

If any of you have small rivers near you, ones that are so small youd not even think of wetting a line there, I really would reccomend trying them at least once as in my experience you will be very pleasantly surprised!

Other than fishing this little stream im going to be getting back into trotting after a few years of (dull) legering only, my mission is to catch a barbel trotting with my centrepin, I cant wait!!!

"I'm hoping they'll put the start back a couple of weeks as I've still got far too much to do!" Mark are you mad!?!?

Tight lines all for the new season... not long to go!

chub angler

Reaction score
A barbel on the float is something I havent done yet. What bait was you going to try Fin meat or double caster. Might sound strange/silly but do you think you could float a halibut pellet under a chubber?. Because I read the loose fed pellets trundle along the bottom for a few feet.so a movingpellet might work.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
I've never had a big one on the float, used to catch tons of green spotty baby barbel from the gravel tails of wiers but the largest ive managed while trotting was around a pound in weight.

To be honest chub ive never been that much of a fan of either meat or casters, I was going to try lobworms, corn, half mussels and I had some really good success in march with chub on breadflake which barbel are apparently also quite fond of so ill be trying this too. Lobs will be my primary attack as you can catch anything that swims with them and I have absolute confidence in using them (2 chub pbs in one year to lobbies cant be wrong!).

I think you may well be on to something there with the pellet idea, itll definitely be possible to trundle one along on a chubber though you might need to undershot the float somewhat as pellets are quite dense. I've often found that rolling a bait produces fish when you are having no bites whatsoever fishing static, so this will be a killer tactic if you can find the right run through im sure. I think i'll give pellets a try too! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm not mad just too busy. Book 2 arrived 6 weeks earlier than expected for proof reading andindexing which is another straw to break the camel's back, and I've still got 12,000 words to do on book 3, ideally by 16th June, when the photography can start in earnest. In all honesty, early season fishing is fantastic for the atmosphere but often disappointing on rivers, and gets better after a few weeks. As for the remaining DIY...It can wait!

S

Sean Meeghan

The barbel average about 6lb on the stretches I fish, Chub. Fishing the shallows in the early season gives a few smaller fish, but generally the average size is good.

chub angler

Reaction score
6lb average is good Sean I also fish the shallows 3to6ft of water.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Bream overnighter at Goring on the 16th.

I'm now thinking that it would also make sense to take the 17th off and head to the medley stretch in Oxford for tench, had three beauties in amongst a big bag of slabs a fewyears back. There's something VERY special about a river tench....

On the same stretch (different session) Ione had a near-hatrick of 6lb fish on consectuivecasts.. Bream, then Chub (both landed) then stupidly I pulled thehook outof a big tench at thenet, it still makes me shudder now just thinking about it. Got to love the thames!!