Ledgering do you ?

P

Phillips Jerry

When ledgering after the first bite I hold my rod and feel for bites, so my qusetion is how many of you hold your rods when ledgering and do you think it makes any difference ?

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Yeah I either hold my rod or place it across my lap if im ledgering, I very rarely "sit on my hands" as advised. The takes from some fish can be really savage and if your not holding your rod you will lose it.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
I very rarely use a rod rest when ledgering, usually just when its too windy to hold the rod still or fishing bolt rigs and multiple rods. I'm almost always fishing a river or stream when im ledgering and this is where I find using a rest hinders more than it helps, partly because I like to move around alot. Fishing like this requires steady hands and good posture, any movements and tremors you create at the rod tip will be sent down the line to the bomb and can potentially spook fish.

So sit still and wait for your arm to be nearly dislocated!

Old Nick

Reaction score
I usually keep my rod in the rests when ledgering, and watch the line and rod tip for any movement, when anything starts happening I hover over the rod.

I always worry that when i'm holding the rod any movements get transmitted down the line!

Wombat

Reaction score
I tend holdthe rod if im ledgering, I find as others say the takes can be quite quick and take you unawares sometimes. I tend to watch the end of the tip of the rod for any movement. I find even with the slightest movement you can still be suprised with what you have caught.Today I have been float fishing on a small pond and decided to have a break and tidy up my fox box and I found a swing tip from many moons ago! Does anyone else still use these or is it just me keeping hold of one?

chub angler

Reaction score
I always leave my rod on the rod rests. And if I want a drink or make a roll up. I turn the free spool on just in case I have a bite.I would rather miss a bite than loose my rod. but I have had it twice where a fish has pulled the rod off the rests with it on free spool. And Ive had to dive off my chair to grab the handle before its gone in the river. If you are haveing little taps and knocks if you twitch the line with your finger you can provoke a bite.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Wombat I have several swing tips and I still use them. I get a few strange looks but they are mega sensitive and on the right day they are fantastic. Ive got a monkey climber too that I use when its very windy.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Its a bite registration thingy. Quite simply a metal stick pushed into the ground below your rod and it has a plastic cylinder (monkey)that has a groove through which the line passes and the whole thing slides up the stick when you have a bite or down the stick to register a drop back type bite. As it cant move sideways, it works a treat in the wind. Im sure some of the more technically minded chaps on here will put a picture up in the next few days.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Front rod rest only, butt in my hand, unless touch ledgering, then I hold the rod.

Monket climbers have made a bit of a come back, I still have one of the original's laying around somewhere, as Trev said, great in the wind.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
front alarm, rear rest, no hands, i'm almost afraid that if i touch the rod as my bobbins start climbing that the Bream will detect my shaking hands and drop the bait... i love it, i really truly do.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Use to use the type that clipped on the rod between first ring and reel or between first two rins. Attatch via metal clip, line went between two wire with hooks on which was attatched to a plastic cylinder on wire stem. Again, the cylindertravelled up or down the stem and was not affected by the wind. Used years ago at nightbefore glow paint, illuminous sticks or chemi sticks. Caught plenty of winter chub using one.

Catfishingham

Reaction score
Ledgering?.......Use bait casters, When I am not on top of my rods I place in free spool with "clicker" on. I have saved many fixed spool rods for others. I use light fixed spool for catching bait to ledger with. I will probably switch to fixed spool once I get some "Bait runners", and some proper rods./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifTight lines

Rickrod

Reaction score
I only use a front rod rest when ledgering with the rod butt over my lap

tubs

Reaction score
I always stick the rods back in the rests. Then I just watch the rod tip.

Reaction score
Depends what sort of fishing im doing, if im after chub on a small river i always hold the rod so ican feel the line as my pb chub last year didnt even give the slightest sign on the tip or line but i felt the slightest pluck on my finger so struck and found myself connected to 5lb chub that dived straight to the snags!
If i was after carp though i would have it on a front rest as the wait can be so long my arm hurts!
Roach/ breamwould be a front rest and butt on my lap as others have said

Tommo!

Reaction score
Have to agree with paul. It depends on type of fishing and venue.

Quivertiping rivers / lakes- Front rest butt on knee

Touch Legering - no rests

Big venue, small stock levels - Alarms and pod/rests