Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Phillips Jerry Guest

When ledgering after the first bite I hold my rod and feel for bites, so my qusetion is how many of you hold your rods when ledgering and do you think it makes any difference ?

Yeah I either hold my rod or place it across my lap if im ledgering, I very rarely "sit on my hands" as advised. The takes from some fish can be really savage and if your not holding your rod you will lose it.

I very rarely use a rod rest when ledgering, usually just when its too windy to hold the rod still or fishing bolt rigs and multiple rods. I'm almost always fishing a river or stream when im ledgering and this is where I find using a rest hinders more than it helps, partly because I like to move around alot. Fishing like this requires steady hands and good posture, any movements and tremors you create at the rod tip will be sent down the line to the bomb and can potentially spook fish.

So sit still and wait for your arm to be nearly dislocated!

I usually keep my rod in the rests when ledgering, and watch the line and rod tip for any movement, when anything starts happening I hover over the rod.

I always worry that when i'm holding the rod any movements get transmitted down the line!

Alawys on rests. Gives me chance to have a brew. Pretty much the same as Old Nick unless I'm touch ledgering which is a different matter all together.

I tend holdthe rod if im ledgering, I find as others say the takes can be quite quick and take you unawares sometimes. I tend to watch the end of the tip of the rod for any movement. I find even with the slightest movement you can still be suprised with what you have caught.Today I have been float fishing on a small pond and decided to have a break and tidy up my fox box and I found a swing tip from many moons ago! Does anyone else still use these or is it just me keeping hold of one?
    Wombat (Jan)
    weekends are meant for fishing or shooting not household duties
    www.nantwichangling.co.uk

I always leave my rod on the rod rests. And if I want a drink or make a roll up. I turn the free spool on just in case I have a bite.I would rather miss a bite than loose my rod. but I have had it twice where a fish has pulled the rod off the rests with it on free spool. And Ive had to dive off my chair to grab the handle before its gone in the river. If you are haveing little taps and knocks if you twitch the line with your finger you can provoke a bite.

Wombat I have several swing tips and I still use them. I get a few strange looks but they are mega sensitive and on the right day they are fantastic. Ive got a monkey climber too that I use when its very windy.

Whats a monkey climber Trev?.

Its a bite registration thingy. Quite simply a metal stick pushed into the ground below your rod and it has a plastic cylinder (monkey)that has a groove through which the line passes and the whole thing slides up the stick when you have a bite or down the stick to register a drop back type bite. As it cant move sideways, it works a treat in the wind. Im sure some of the more technically minded chaps on here will put a picture up in the next few days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast