Tackle reviews - do we trust them?

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Spot-on Krian, I couldn't agree more. We enjoy telling other anglers about a new bit of kit we've bought and how pleased we are with it, but rarely tell them when bits have fallen off it 12 months down the line.
laugh.gif

In todays tackle market however, doing a retrospective review after a couple of seasons is difficult, as the product might have been replaced with a new one and is no longer on the shelves.
uhoh3.gif

Build quality is the main reason I don't buy expensive gear anymore regardless of reviews, little of it is built to really last with the possible exception of handmade tackle. You get lucky sometimes and find (or get told about) a gem, this is where forums such as FM and good angling mates are invaluable. Commercial reviews from biased/constrained sources are flawed and rarely give a true account, often relying on the customer to 'read between the lines' which is highly subjective and full of pitfalls. Advertorials are next to worthless.

Phrases like 'its hard to find a bad item of tackle in todays modern tackle market' don't hold water IMO as the angler is looking to buy the best they can get for their budget, so the lowest value item automatically becomes 'bad' in todays marketplace.
Why does being able to afford the higher range make the lower priced item bad?when I used the term I was referring to the quality and durability of today's tackle compared to years ago. Tackle companies wouldn't survive if the gulf in products was from then compared to the lower priced carbon ranges offered today, what is classed as entry level now would still outclass the fiberglass of yesteryear.

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Why does being able to afford the higher range make the lower priced item bad?when I used the term I was referring to the quality and durability of today's tackle compared to years ago. Tackle companies wouldn't survive if the gulf in products was from then compared to the lower priced carbon ranges offered today, what is classed as entry level now would still outclass the fiberglass of yesteryear.

Rodney you've misinterpreted my post, I was refering to 'value for money' not price.

The reason I used that phrase is its been used before in defence of commercial reviewers not making negative comments on tackle they review, it was not aimed at yourself sorry if it caused confusion.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Rodney you've misinterpreted my post, I was refering to 'value for money' not price. The reason I used that phrase is its been used before in defence of commercial reviewers not making negative comments on tackle they review, it was not aimed at yourself sorry if it caused confusion.
I'm told it's not difficult to confuse me so it's probably not your fault the wires were a little crossed and as I'd used the comment I thought you were directing your comments to me.

Guess I was a little trigger happy Chris

Chris Season32

Reaction score
No worries bud, looking back I could have worded it clearer. Borked my back humping gear yesterday, painkillers and forum posting are probably best kept separate :)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Phrases like 'its hard to find a bad item of tackle in todays modern tackle market' don't hold water IMO as the angler is looking to buy the best they can get for their budget, so the lowest value item automatically becomes 'bad' in todays marketplace.

If you are using the word 'value' to denote monitary cost, you are saying that the item with the lowest price is the worst item. That sounds like my kids with their trainers. I just can't accept that definition of 'bad'.
You'll have to take this on trust; if I gave you twenty random rods from various suppliers, you WOULD have trouble finding a really bad one, by anyone's definition. Modern tackle items have to be good to compete with each other and, generally, they are all mostly very good, twice the quality of 20 years ago and a quarter of the price, or less. So I stand by what I said earlier.

Chris Season32

Reaction score

If you are using the word 'value' to denote monitary cost, you are saying that the item with the lowest price is the worst item. That sounds like my kids with their trainers. I just can't accept that definition of 'bad'.
You'll have to take this on trust; if I gave you twenty random rods from various suppliers, you WOULD have trouble finding a really bad one, by anyone's definition. Modern tackle items have to be good to compete with each other and, generally, they are all mostly very good, twice the quality of 20 years ago and a quarter of the price, or less. So I stand by what I said earlier.

Geoff, please read the full thread before posting, ie; the three posts above yours :/

(original post edited to avoid confusion)

Last edited:

rookie_fly_guy

Reaction score
I think part of it is the worst stuff is generally things aimed at people who are new to fishing. The first set of rod's I picked up for myself and my partner was from argos (all my old stuff went missing years ago) a beginners set that was frankly, terrible (http://tiny.cc/QuZYx if your interested) the line was this horrible thick white stuff, the reel broke within an hour, the split shot was unusable, etc.

But my fiancee didn't know that it was particularly bad, so we used it anyway, then upgraded the bits. The only thing I have left from the kit (bearing in mind is was picked up in march) is the rods, the disgorger and the mini tackle boxes, everything else I binned asap.

The rods are now starting to fall to pieces too, the eyelets are coming off or cracking. But if I left it up to my partner she'd probably replace it with something similar not knowing any better. Shes slowly starting to learn, but if I hadn't been taught by my grandad and uncle I probably wouldn't know that much better, assuming most of the cheap stuff was the same as any other.

Once you get into the £30+ range of gear the quality jump is huge, but most new anglers who don't know someone who can advise them on buying stuff will tend to plump for the cheapest gear possible to try it out, after all spending £15 on something to try it once then binning it if you don't enjoy it isnt a big deal, but £30 on a rod, £30 on a reel, line, shot, hooks, tackle box, floats, usually some spinners as well because they look pretty, bait etc and you can easily spend a ton and throwing that away after one go will hurt most wallets.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I think part of it is the worst stuff is generally things aimed at people who are new to fishing. The first set of rod's I picked up for myself and my partner was from argos (all my old stuff went missing years ago) a beginners set that was frankly, terrible (http://tiny.cc/QuZYx if your interested) the line was this horrible thick white stuff, the reel broke within an hour, the split shot was unusable, etc.

But my fiancee didn't know that it was particularly bad, so we used it anyway, then upgraded the bits. The only thing I have left from the kit (bearing in mind is was picked up in march) is the rods, the disgorger and the mini tackle boxes, everything else I binned asap.

The rods are now starting to fall to pieces too, the eyelets are coming off or cracking. But if I left it up to my partner she'd probably replace it with something similar not knowing any better. Shes slowly starting to learn, but if I hadn't been taught by my grandad and uncle I probably wouldn't know that much better, assuming most of the cheap stuff was the same as any other.

Once you get into the £30+ range of gear the quality jump is huge, but most new anglers who don't know someone who can advise them on buying stuff will tend to plump for the cheapest gear possible to try it out, after all spending £15 on something to try it once then binning it if you don't enjoy it isnt a big deal, but £30 on a rod, £30 on a reel, line, shot, hooks, tackle box, floats, usually some spinners as well because they look pretty, bait etc and you can easily spend a ton and throwing that away after one go will hurt most wallets.
That's because some choose to get the kit from Argos instead of a tackle shop where the staff could talk them through their purchase best suited to their requirements and intended style of fishing, target species and intended venues. I'm not knocking Argos as I have bought some items from them but only when it was to my advantage and I knew what I was buying.

I understand what your saying about about the prohibitive costs and that is what these kits are designed for, however if as I mentioned, a tackle shop would've been better placed to advise you and the costs could've been softened if you'd gone for second hand or end of line stock, but there are starter kits out there by guys like Mat Hayes, John Wilson etc, they have rods which will cover general course fishing and reels with reasonable line and terminal tackle.

It's all out there as is help and advice in various formats.

rookie_fly_guy

Reaction score
True, and I should have gone to a tackle shop, but on the flip side, Argos would only sell beginners sets if people were buying them, plus we actually went to Argos because we wanted to go fishing on a bank holiday and every single tackle shop within ten miles was closed :p

Plus the first few times I went to a tackle shop I felt overawed by the sheer amount of kit available, I imagine a lot of people feel the same, now I feel more like a kid let loose in a candy store until the realities of budgets kick in :wh

Cakey

Reaction score
so when it comes down to it no one listens to anyone else and we all do our own thing.....................and we are all happy:D

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Now Cakey and Fred have finished having a cuddle
liefde.gif
:) , I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows of a commercial publication who's tackle reviews are thorough and free from the influence of advertisers and sponsorship, are there any?

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I do a fair amount of reviewing of products and if anyone thinks that I'd risk my reputation by recommending something that is rubbish then they are very wrong, and I'm sure the same goes for other reviewers.
I submit my reviews and it is then up to the magazine editor whether or not he uses them - if i have really slated something from someone who spends a fortune advertising with the magazine then it may be that they decide not to use it - i certainly wouldn't change it or tone it down just to keep people happy.
On another note, why waste space telling people that something is no good, when you could use that space to point them in the direction of something that is worth buying.
The other thing to consider is the amount of time that the reviewer gets with the product as I've had things before that have been great for the first six months that I've had them and have then gone wrong. I fish more than most so things do get a good try out and I've also been involved in being a consultant for various tackle firms over the years so am used to trying to find faults with things (as i would do with a new product before it comes out).
There is always going to be a certain amount of bias, purely down to personal preferences and even down to what manufacturer you've used a lot of products from over the years that you've been happy with.

Les Clark 3

Reaction score
yes..................here on FM

I would go along with Cakey on this one , after about a 12 year lay off from fishing ,I come back into it and the tackle had changed quite a bit , a lot more choice and price , it was a minefield to get the right information .
But after being a FM member for a number of years , I would rather ask the members for their veiw, knowing that they will help you out ,out of the goodness of their hearts , with honest veiws , good or bad . :D ;)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I like to go to the tackle shop and see what I am buying, I will listern to FM members, read reveiws, but at the end of the day I make up my own mind what to buy.
Gary has said he writes what he thinks, then it's up to the editor, but have you every seen a bad review in any fishing mags, I haven't, which tells me the mags have to watch what they say about products.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
The one other thing i would add on this is, what is really the point of telling someone who wants new reel which one not to buy, surely it would be far more useful to point out which ones are worth buying?
I'm also sure that if magazines did run negative tackle reviews that readers would soon get fed up reading them and the novelty would wear off, much as many would love to see certain manufacturers getting a bashing for producing something rubbish that hasn't been properly tested before it was sold to the shops.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I like to go to the tackle shop and see what I am buying, I will listern to FM members, read reveiws, but at the end of the day I make up my own mind what to buy.

Exactly.

All that I would want to do is point out that an item is worthwhile of consideration and to have a look at it for yourself. If you are buying blind off the internet or from press ads then on your own head be it.

If I was to say something was poor, it doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it. Just look and see if the faults/problems that I find are important enough for you not to buy it.

Summing up, we are generating copy for you to read. Take it or leave it, but once it's written it's there.