Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Tackle reviews - do we trust them?

Kind of a carry-over from the AT: irresponsible reporting thread which strayed on to this subject.
    I used to do tackle reviews in angling magazines and know the problems; criticise a manufacturer's tackle and they cancel their advertising. In effect, they have a gun to the magazines' collective heads, and with the recession, that advertising is keeping our mags going.
    So it's difficult for the reviewers, and most just review what they are sent or avoid booking any rubbish tackle, and thus avoid having to tell the truth about it.
    The problem with this strategy is that rubbish tackle stays on sale and anglers unwittingly buy it because there's nobody around to tell them any different.
    That said, there are some great reviewers and some great reviews. I'm just interested to know whether FMers trust tackle reviews, or if they've ever bought recommended gear which turned out to be rubbish.
    What do you think about the 'marks out of ten' which reviewers give? Are they realistic? Are reviewers tough enough on bad tackle?

I always take tackle reviews with a pinch of salt, and will try to find independent user reviews whenever possible - although the amount of research is determined by the value of whatever I am buying! small items tackle very little, but rods reels etc a fair amount.

Some years ago I used to work in the computer games industry where millions were made based on magazine "reviews" and scorings out of 10's - every products marketing budget had an element for "buying" positive reviews!!!! Although, if a product was really **** - it was **** and reviews wording carefully to reflect this! But I certainly agree most magazines are in an impossible position if the majority of their funding is from advertising (IMHO).

I'll read the reviews, take acount of what the reviewer says then try and get an independant review especially if the product has been around for some time. If it brand spankers, then I'll leave it alone for a while until an independant one comes up. Also check out who has it in stock. If plenty of stockists, then it can be a good. If hardley anyone stocking it, then leave it.

Ok so how does someone who is inexperienced find out about tackle. When I started fishing again after a long lay off I hadn't got a clue who most of the "names" were. Also a review by someone unknown to me would have meant nothing. I wouldn't have known if the reviewer was experienced or otherwise.

What I did was ask questions and see what answers I was getting and if the the answers were the same then I judged that rod or reel etc was OK.

One of the things I have found with the majority of shop owners is that they are basically honest.

The best person to ask if an item of tackle is any good is a match angler, or rather a number of match anglers, they usually know whats good and what isn't. Those tackle shops that have a resident group of match anglers chatting away like fishwives do have their uses and that is one of them.

Paper and mag reviews are totally unreliable in my opinion.

Scott Whatmore Guest

I tend to trust reviews by people I know and have respect for their opinion. Dad has a good point with asking match anglers. I do like to go with my gut feeling at the end of the day.

To be honest I take most reviews with a pinch of salt.

I remember a certain mag giving a rod a bad review because the top section was such a sloppy fit that the section came flying off 1st cast!

The next month the mag ran a new review on a rod "selected totally at random" (or words to that effect) and what do you know? Yep high scores in all departments!!!

We all know there is cr@p tackle about - now where are the honest reviews of the aforementioned tackle?

The only problem being that most match anglers now only know about margin poles or gear targeted at commercial carp type waters.

I was in a shop the other day and 6 of them were discussing tactics for a forthcoming festival. They may as well have been talking spanish.

Blog Entries

I like to read reviews of new tackle if only to see if it has a purpose. I've seen some items and had some that only deserve to be in the bin, far better had I not bought them in the first place. The Rainbow system of depth finding for poles was a definite no-no from start to finish.

Beyond that, is the tackle any good? Well, here it might be possible to stretch a point depending on whether the manufacturer advertises with you or not. If he's spending £40,000 a year with your group, are you really going to upset him by saying it's cr@p? But is it them right to say it's marvellous and mislead all you readers?

I've tried to be truthful in all of my reviews for FM. There's a Korum rod I tested that I thought was cracking and I still think so, yet I don't owe Korum anything right now. Conversly, I gave a Fox video a bad write-up, but largely because they wanted to charge £10 for it. Had they given it away, as I suggested, I would have been OK (not brilliant, but OK).

So does it all come down to price and value for money?

Perhaps. If someone buys a spool of line costing a fiver on your recommendation and then doesn't like it, then the buyer hasn't lost much except a little faith in you. But if he's just blown £150 on a new rod that turns out to be a stick, he'll rightly bear you a grudge for the rest of your existance. However, all I can say in my defence is, that's how I found it.

I might have a dilemma if an advertiser sends an expensive item for testing and I think it's overpriced and not worth it. How do I treat that? PROBLEM!

Perhaps a lesson for manufacturers - don't overprice your items, just give us good value for money.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

I read the review in the mags and if I can see the item being a benefit to my fishing then I'll read up on user reviews via the internet. This (F.M.) has to be the best source of reliable information there is. We have a community of top class anglers who go out their way to give advice, my most recent purchase was a couple of margin poles and it was the F.M. user reviews that made up my mind.

As already mentioned, the advertising payment must hold sway in how the ed will portray an item, I take more stock of the articles starring guest anglers on a session, especially if they're non sponsored club matchmen as they won't use tackle that's not up to spec for their match days.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast