How to fish a deep fast flowing river?

kimberfoster

Reaction score
Found a nice spot on the derwent and been to fish it tonight. Other than two carp out doing my tackle i didn't have a bite. Tried float fishing maggotts and sweetcorn, nothing. then tried a 30g feeder with hemp and casters with 3 casters on the hook, NOTHING.

The carp were easily picked up on just bread flake about 2 foot in front of me but would like to catch the smaller coarse fish before moving onto the big old carp.

I seemed to be strugling with the fast flowing water.

As a novice as much help as possible would be great.:confused:

How do i fish a deep fast flowing river???

preston96

Reaction score
We would probably all struggle in water thats racing through....have a walk and find a slower bit at the end of the rapids and then use an avon float to trot the swim.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
What weight do you call small fish?
Fishing fast water is no problem just increase the weight on your feeder by adding "dead cow weights". This of course makes your system a bolt rig, hence the reason to ask you what size of fish are you after. They need to be big enough to move your feeder or pull against the flow of the river if your feeder is locked hard on the bottom. Fishing feeders that are just balanced to the flow and break away at the slightest touch are OK if you are fishing a clear bottom otherwise you'll just loose loads of feeders being dragged into snags.

kimberfoster

Reaction score
they were definately carp. they were on the surface towards dusk. when i say smaller fish i mean bream tench chub anything but carp really. Not that i'd moan if i landed a good carp. I'm pretty limited on where i can fish this stretch. banks are very overgrown and there is not a great deal of water running through my place of work, Free fishing:D.
a 30g feeder was still drifting got a 2oz will try that next time. prefer the float method of fishing but found it far too demanding.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Can you give me rough idea of which bit of Derwent?
I may well fish it myself if it's on Early of Harrington's ticket or Derby County AC.
You don't have to be too specific, just a general idea.

Feeder fishing is probably the way to go but there are ways of doing it to cope with/compensate for different conditions.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'd use a big chubber float. The key is to keep the bait going in all the time. So, don't feed a handful of whatever bait you're using every 15 minutes, feed a smaller amount but ever 1-2 minutes.

kimberfoster

Reaction score
i reackon its about 10 ft deep. the spot is just after derby, spondon to be precise. it is not owned by a club any more as it is on the land where i work. if 2oz is light what would you suggest going up to.

Keep all the help coming. every little helps
cheers chaps

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Ha, I'm sat in Spondon as I type.

I can usually hold bottom on the Derwent with 4oz in a heavy flow, 3oz should be ok for a small feeder.

Like Fred says, cast upstream a little using a 3 or 4oz quiver tip, let a bow of line form in the flow (so not tight to the feeder).

The quiver tip should now be bent but pointing slightly downstream, the tow of the water is pulling it round.

If it keeps straightening then pulling round again constantly then your feeder isn't holding its position.

If it stays put then you're good to go, watch for the tip to go slack and straighten out - this means a fish has probably taken the bait and dislodged the feeder so strike gently, it's probably hooked itself against the weight anyhow.

Apologies if you know this already but when I was shown I was amazed how little weight you can get away with compared to the huge leads I'd been using before. The bow of line lowers the force pulling at the feeder by the water.

---------- Post added at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:59 PM ----------

I though Earl of Harrington controlled pretty much all the Derwent from Derby down to Borrowash bridge?

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

I've not encountered a carp yet but fishing exactly as described above on 6lb line straight through with a paternostered maggot feeder I've had low double barbel along with bream, chub, grayling, perch, roach and dace.

kimberfoster

Reaction score
I am a novice so all this has helped. So the more detail and as basic as possible is great. The water was covered by a club some years ago but due to security at work they stopped the club fishing here. So i am 1 of 2 people at work allowed to fish here. Like i said it is definately carp i have seen lots of chaps from work take bread down to feed them . they are all really nice healthy looking big fish that aren't that shy and there a alot of them about.
Like i said all your comments are a great help.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would just step up my gear and go for the carp, sounds like you could have a great time targeting them. Just curious what weight do the carp appear to be ?