Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to fish a deep fast flowing river?

Found a nice spot on the derwent and been to fish it tonight. Other than two carp out doing my tackle i didn't have a bite. Tried float fishing maggotts and sweetcorn, nothing. then tried a 30g feeder with hemp and casters with 3 casters on the hook, NOTHING.

The carp were easily picked up on just bread flake about 2 foot in front of me but would like to catch the smaller coarse fish before moving onto the big old carp.

I seemed to be strugling with the fast flowing water.

As a novice as much help as possible would be great.

How do i fish a deep fast flowing river???

2. Default

We would probably all struggle in water thats racing through....have a walk and find a slower bit at the end of the rapids and then use an avon float to trot the swim.

Are you sure they were carp?

What weight do you call small fish?
    Fishing fast water is no problem just increase the weight on your feeder by adding "dead cow weights". This of course makes your system a bolt rig, hence the reason to ask you what size of fish are you after. They need to be big enough to move your feeder or pull against the flow of the river if your feeder is locked hard on the bottom. Fishing feeders that are just balanced to the flow and break away at the slightest touch are OK if you are fishing a clear bottom otherwise you'll just loose loads of feeders being dragged into snags.

they were definately carp. they were on the surface towards dusk. when i say smaller fish i mean bream tench chub anything but carp really. Not that i'd moan if i landed a good carp. I'm pretty limited on where i can fish this stretch. banks are very overgrown and there is not a great deal of water running through my place of work, Free fishing.
    a 30g feeder was still drifting got a 2oz will try that next time. prefer the float method of fishing but found it far too demanding.

Blog Entries

When you say deep fast flowing ..just how deep is it?
    Fancy a pint?

Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
    Blog Entries

Can you give me rough idea of which bit of Derwent?
    I may well fish it myself if it's on Early of Harrington's ticket or Derby County AC.
    You don't have to be too specific, just a general idea.

Feeder fishing is probably the way to go but there are ways of doing it to cope with/compensate for different conditions.

I'd use a big chubber float. The key is to keep the bait going in all the time. So, don't feed a handful of whatever bait you're using every 15 minutes, feed a smaller amount but ever 1-2 minutes.

Blog Entries

2ozs?
    Is that all?
    Go heavier, or cast upsteam & let a bow form in the line.

Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The universe
    Blog Entries

t21amp ,are you on the derbyshire derwent ,or that yorkshire one
    Chavender Floats
    I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast