Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Old style hook Tyer

I lost my old hook tyer that I've had for nearly forty years in the Severn at Kempsey last year, it was the old red type and had a complete flat front where the hook goes in unlike the Drennan which has sloping front.

Though I can use the Drennan and the match tyer I much prefer my old one but where can I buy one does anyone know?

Send a blank cheque to http://www.wehaveyourhooktyer.com and your original will be returned
    Signed Corker Nice-But-Dim

Big red screw to close the jaws, and a wire swing-arm with two different-sized u-bends to make the loops round*? Sorry, round which to make the loops, there's a pedant about... if so, I have one - and as I can only get on with the Drennan type, you're welcome to it; just PM me your address.

* I just realised, the big u-bend positions the arm, the smaller one forms the loop. I think.

No Alan it looks and works exactly like the Drennan except it is red where the Drennan is usually maroon, thanks anyway mate.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

In my opinion "In the Severn" is the best place for all hook tyers.Nasty little things...never could work them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tyler View Post
    Big red screw to close the jaws, and a wire swing-arm with two different-sized u-bends to make the loops round
    blimey I thought you'd nicked it and was torturing it to up the ransome!

I'm with you Skippy. I've tried them all and get them to work about one in ten attempts. Must be some sort of gadget dyslexia

I have the 'matchman' hook tyer. After many years, and many lost fish, I've gone over to eyed hooks, 100%. OK, I might miss out on the occasional fish that can recognise the point 000 of a gram difference but I'll live with that, as I no longer leave hooks in fish.

Spade ends? should be consigned to the bin.

Don't knock them just 'cos you're unsucessful at tying them. I use both, and if tied properly a spade end should never fail at the hook knot. Eyed hooks have a higher knot failure rate unless tied with a non-strangulating knot such as the palomar or grinner etc. I use a matchman tyer nowerdays as my fingers have turned into sausages.

Graham, Drennan bought the red (Delco) Hooktyer nearly 20 years ago. That's why you cannot get them anymore. The tooling was modified to produce the Drennan model you can buy now.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast