Angling Times 14/7/2050

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If the angling press(or the media in whatever form)were to do a feature on 50 years of fishing heroes,who in your opinion would be in the section 2000-2009????

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Peter,

Personally i don't have any angling heroes, but in my honest opinion it would have to be anyone who either taught you how to fish or helped you to feel comfortable and confident in how you fish.
As i taught myself how to fish, i guess all the magazines i read or the different web pages i viewed or the people from off this website who helped me solve fishing problems and questions would have to be my angling heroes.

Tight Lines

peter crabtree

Reaction score
Good shout Stealph,unfortunately my hero would not qualify for 2000-2009.
He was of course Bernard Venables (Mr Crabtree):)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For me it would have to be none other than **** Walker, for a variety of reasons he stands alone. He was not always right in his assertions, he did however inspire others to think about tackle and techniques with a fresh outlook.
A true giant.

Reaction score
I was going to mention Morespiders as my angling hero.

He is full of advice. I listen to his advice and then catch fish by doing the opposite. It's a simple formula.

peter crabtree

Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of up and coming young anglers who may well be counted among the heroes in 2050.
Alex Bones may well be one.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
Alex bones doesn't get enough coverage to end up a "hero" really, i don't think.

i would have said more likely heroes from this decade would end up being Scotthorne, Raison, whichever ringer it is that just started up guru, for the match side of things.

Maybe Bowler and welchy for the specimen side of things.

Not that i'm saying you don't need talent to become a hero, but i think coverage is the key factor in becoming someones hero really. Mind you, having started fishing properly as an adult, i've never had an angling hero, simply anglers whose opinion i consider over others. for example, bob roberts, i quite like his outlook on things, and would consider trying anything he recommends. but then, compared to most of the characters, he's significantly more local to me, and seems to fish accessible places, most of the time.

supersquirrel

Reaction score
I would say my angling hero would be Bob Nudd. A great sportsman, and a complete gentleman. Such a nice guy and always has the time to talk to you. Unlike alot of other top anglers. And he also puts so much back into the sport he loves. One of the greats imo, ofcourse there are plenty of others though ;)

Rickrod

Reaction score
My angling hero is Mick Brown a really nice bloke aswel as a fantastic pike angler

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Young Matt Rand will be in the cut, have no doubt about it! I've known Matt since he was a school kid, and even then he'd got a local CV to top most of us. He is simply a good young angler. He has that certain something. I believe some call it the 'X' factor, well whatever it's called I've knowen a few blokes over the years that could just catch fish from a damp tea-towel! Matt's one of them.

Talking legends, yes I'd concur that after Isaac, **** Walker is one of a handful of men synonimous with angling who have arrived at almost omnipotent status, in Walker's case for his contribution to both tackle and angling strategy.

I think it also shouldn't be forgotten that the editor of this site is up there with him too in terms of his contribution to the angling media. Decades of unnerring writing output and an angling knowledge that most of us can only dream about.