Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Angling Times 14/7/2050

If the angling press(or the media in whatever form)were to do a feature on 50 years of fishing heroes,who in your opinion would be in the section 2000-2009????

Hello Peter,

Personally i don't have any angling heroes, but in my honest opinion it would have to be anyone who either taught you how to fish or helped you to feel comfortable and confident in how you fish.
    As i taught myself how to fish, i guess all the magazines i read or the different web pages i viewed or the people from off this website who helped me solve fishing problems and questions would have to be my angling heroes.

Tight Lines

Good shout Stealph,unfortunately my hero would not qualify for 2000-2009.
    He was of course Bernard Venables (Mr Crabtree)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    unfortunately my hero would not qualify for 2000-2009. He was of course Bernard Venables (Mr Crabtree)
    Mr. Crabtree would be mine too, followed closely by dear old Jack Hargreaves.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

For me it would have to be none other than Dick Walker, for a variety of reasons he stands alone. He was not always right in his assertions, he did however inspire others to think about tackle and techniques with a fresh outlook.
    A true giant.

I see no-one has mentioned ...............

MoreSpiders !!!! ........
    His list of big tench and other fish is unbelievable!!!!!
    It's a fine line between genius and madness -- I wish I knew which side of it I'm on !

I was going to mention Morespiders as my angling hero.

He is full of advice. I listen to his advice and then catch fish by doing the opposite. It's a simple formula.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

I was thinking more along the lines of up and coming young anglers who may well be counted among the heroes in 2050.
    Alex Bones may well be one.

Alex bones doesn't get enough coverage to end up a "hero" really, i don't think.

i would have said more likely heroes from this decade would end up being Scotthorne, Raison, whichever ringer it is that just started up guru, for the match side of things.

Maybe Bowler and welchy for the specimen side of things.

Not that i'm saying you don't need talent to become a hero, but i think coverage is the key factor in becoming someones hero really. Mind you, having started fishing properly as an adult, i've never had an angling hero, simply anglers whose opinion i consider over others. for example, bob roberts, i quite like his outlook on things, and would consider trying anything he recommends. but then, compared to most of the characters, he's significantly more local to me, and seems to fish accessible places, most of the time.

I would say my angling hero would be Bob Nudd. A great sportsman, and a complete gentleman. Such a nice guy and always has the time to talk to you. Unlike alot of other top anglers. And he also puts so much back into the sport he loves. One of the greats imo, ofcourse there are plenty of others though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast