Iycf

Specihunter

Reaction score
I've just recieved this months IYCF . I have noticed that there are more articles on match style commercial fishing than any other. Even their river article was a match style . If we want more river anglers lets have more articles and on different rivers . Plus the new Matt Hayes dvd is another commercial , get him on the rivers and show us how to crack more rivers and canals .

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
yeah, the cover mounted DVD's I've seen from Matt Hayes have been a waste of time. They're just constant advertising.

Specihunter

Reaction score
It's not the advertising that bothers me .It's the same as the other dvds that they have done.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
River Fishing

Speci'

Some of the older DVD's that did cover River fishing are as instructive now as they were when they were made: Dave Harrell (spelling?) on Waggler fishing, Steve Gardner on Waggler, Short Pole and Feeder fishing on the Thames, and many more. I think that DH also did one on Stck Float Fishing and there was one by Mark Downes on the Bolognese method on rivers, not to mention lovely old ****ie Carr's videos on Fishing Bread on canals etc.

Then there was a certain Mr. Marsden who did a good one on the River Severn (I think it was) fishing for Barbel, and there are a lot more.

If you think about it, then wag' and mag' hasn't changed much over the years and it is as good a method now as it was in the 80's and 90's - not every river angler wants to chuck pellets after large specimens, or do they?

As to magazines, why not investigate a Waterlog subscription? Great writing (proper spelling too) on a variety of venues, methods and disciplines. Even though it is only published quarterly I find it far more interesting than all the weeklies and monthly publications put together.

Just my opinion of course, others will disagree . . . .

The bad one

Reaction score
Speci'

Some of the older DVD's that did cover River fishing are as instructive now as they were when they were made: Dave Harrell (spelling?) on Waggler fishing, Steve Gardner on Waggler, Short Pole and Feeder fishing on the Thames, and many more. I think that DH also did one on Stck Float Fishing and there was one by Mark Downes on the Bolognese method on rivers, not to mention lovely old ****ie Carr's videos on Fishing Bread on canals etc.

Then there was a certain Mr. Marsden who did a good one on the River Severn (I think it was) fishing for Barbel, and there are a lot more.

If you think about it, then wag' and mag' hasn't changed much over the years and it is as good a method now as it was in the 80's and 90's - not every river angler wants to chuck pellets after large specimens, or do they?

As to magazines, why not investigate a Waterlog subscription? Great writing (proper spelling too) on a variety of venues, methods and disciplines. Even though it is only published quarterly I find it far more interesting than all the weeklies and monthly publications put together.

Just my opinion of course, others will disagree . . . .

Peter I agree with most what you've wrote above and is the main reason I stopped buying mags some 8 years ago. Certain writers were rehearsing what they'd wrote several times in the past in the same mag.
On the point of chucking pellets after specimens, I at this time of year like nothing more than to fish the stick after anything that will take maggot.
And yesterday was a case in point, I went for a usual session ( late afternoon/evening), taking 5 good roach between 12 oz and 1.02 lb and a small chub. By 20 00 hrs I'd packed the float gear away and the pellet rods were out in the anticipation of some whiskers. Didn't happen last night, but did on Sunday.

What strikes me about the pellet fishers is how they rarely have an appreciation of what other good fish are in the swims they fish.

Versatility is the key to fishing rivers and exploiting whatever is in front of you in my view. And you can have your cake and eat it, if that's what floats the boat. It'll also make you a better anglers in the long run.

supersquirrel

Reaction score
Your point about pellet fisher The Bad one. I think they dont appreciate the other fish in their swims because they are only targeting that one speices. To be honest they see other fish as a nuisance. I personally never see any fish as a nuisance, as I'd rather be catching something than nothing at all;).

Those old video's are great, the clean river productions series will never go out of date and there is still so much to be learnt from these great vids. And the music does it for me to, Just captures fishing for me personally. Let the mags carry on with all this same junk. Ill take these and a Passion for angling anyday:D

The bad one

Reaction score
Your point about pellet fisher The Bad one. I think they dont appreciate the other fish in their swims because they are only targeting that one speices. To be honest they see other fish as a nuisance. I personally never see any fish as a nuisance, as I'd rather be catching something than nothing at all;).

Those old video's are great, the clean river productions series will never go out of date and there is still so much to be learnt from these great vids. And the music does it for me to, Just captures fishing for me personally. Let the mags carry on with all this same junk. Ill take these and a Passion for angling anyday:D

Trophy hunters then, that just happen to be fishing running water?