prawns for perch?

newbieneil

Reaction score
Ive been reading that prawns are deadly for perch in various magazines and on websites etc and im thinking about ledgering them in a small river i fish.Has this ever been an effective bait for this species for you on either a river or stillwater? any tips on presentation would be a bonus aswell!

Bluenose

Reaction score
I would imagine threading one or two on a size 6-12 hook would do the job and I have read that those prawns stored in vinegar aren't as good. That said I've never tried them myself mate but if and when you do, let us know how you get on.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
if i'm honest, i've had more carp on prawns than i have perch, but i have had and seen several large perch landed on prawns, as well as many greedy little ones, lol

Cooked prawns from the freezer aisle, fresh raw prawns from the fishmonger, i have no preference, they all work great. i thread them on to a size 6, so the prawn curls away from the hookpoint. floatfished or legered, works well either way.

one tip i picked up off welchy in a magazine, microwave a few, just for 30 seconds, before you go, they go a bit rubbery and stay on the hook better.

oh, and in smaller pieces, they have caught me roach, rudd, tench and bream as well

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
when targeting perch, i will feed maggots and the odd few pieces of chopped prawns, kind of like you would with lobs really.

when targeting carp with prawns, i generally plant a bed of hemp, corn, and partimix, and a handful of free offerings in various sizes, with my hookbait in the middle of the bed. i do much the same when i fish with spam on the hook.

cocktail prawns also make a good hookbait for method feeders, when targeting match carp.

word of warning, prawns work well for carp, but after dark you have to hope the carp get there before the eels, unless thats what floats your boat, lol.

newbieneil

Reaction score

newbieneil

Reaction score
cheers rick!...it was my only fish of the day though and my mate blanked a few pegs up stream! lol

strut5a

Reaction score
I fish a mixed fishery with a good head of perch and strangely enough they are the only fish I have not caught on peeled prawns. Maybe unpeeled may work better for perch.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've had carp, perch, and even barbel and chub on peeled prawns, so I know they work. Unpeeled I've no experience, but can't see why they shouldn't work. Seemed a much overlooked bait to me, as are cockles, which I seem to recall Frank Gutfield used to effect whilst fishing for tench.