Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink prawns for perch?

Ive been reading that prawns are deadly for perch in various magazines and on websites etc and im thinking about ledgering them in a small river i fish.Has this ever been an effective bait for this species for you on either a river or stillwater? any tips on presentation would be a bonus aswell!

I would imagine threading one or two on a size 6-12 hook would do the job and I have read that those prawns stored in vinegar aren't as good. That said I've never tried them myself mate but if and when you do, let us know how you get on.

The raw uncooked prawns sold in trays at Asda have worked well for me for Perch and Carp.

if i'm honest, i've had more carp on prawns than i have perch, but i have had and seen several large perch landed on prawns, as well as many greedy little ones, lol

Cooked prawns from the freezer aisle, fresh raw prawns from the fishmonger, i have no preference, they all work great. i thread them on to a size 6, so the prawn curls away from the hookpoint. floatfished or legered, works well either way.

one tip i picked up off welchy in a magazine, microwave a few, just for 30 seconds, before you go, they go a bit rubbery and stay on the hook better.

oh, and in smaller pieces, they have caught me roach, rudd, tench and bream as well

What do you use as loose feed when you use prawn on the hook for carp / perch?
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

when targeting perch, i will feed maggots and the odd few pieces of chopped prawns, kind of like you would with lobs really.

when targeting carp with prawns, i generally plant a bed of hemp, corn, and partimix, and a handful of free offerings in various sizes, with my hookbait in the middle of the bed. i do much the same when i fish with spam on the hook.

cocktail prawns also make a good hookbait for method feeders, when targeting match carp.

word of warning, prawns work well for carp, but after dark you have to hope the carp get there before the eels, unless thats what floats your boat, lol.

Default prawn results

bought some frozen peeled prawns(youngs i think? about 2.99 from co-op)...first time ive bought them cuz i dont eat them but anyway ledgered one today whilst at the river blythe with my mate and caught this.... http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/a...chub3-35lb.jpg ...my personal best chub and the biggest fish either me or my mate have caught from the blythe.

Nice chub Neil

cheers rick!...it was my only fish of the day though and my mate blanked a few pegs up stream! lol

Well done mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast