Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    alan whittington Guest

Default 'Problems' on the Thames below Oxford to Wallingford area.

Im trying to get some sort of feedback on how others have started in this area of the Thames,there has been a little chat on the 'river reports' section on site but the 'general fishing' side gets a larger audience i think,my start has been very poor,which when you see a steady flow,unlike last summer,i would have expected slightly better returns,im hopeful in a few weeks time it will improve,but what do you say?
    Last edited by alan whittington; 19-07-2009 at 20:22. Reason: addition

Blog Entries

Awful mate and I have read the same on another website.

Ditto to James.... it's been absolutely pants at Abingdon since the season started. I'm lucky that i live five minutes away, so I spend a bit of time walking the banks too, always chat to any anglers I see that seem happy to talk, all seem to be doing terribly, most-discussed subject tends to be the bream (or lack of them) that typically make up the decent catches at this time of year.

alan whittington Guest

Absolutely Jim there seems to be no bream and i havnt seen one roll this season as yet,i mean the chub usually kick off in earnest in september,but normally any boilie,pellet,bread,maggot,caster or worm would be eaten with gusto almost anywhere,but not at the moment,have the e/europeans trawled the river?

At the start of the season I mentioned the general slow start and in part I was referring to what happened to me in 1986 when I spent a week on the Thames in late June going from Maidenhead to Oxford and back. It was a real struggle and we could only catch at dawn and dusk. Recently I was in Oxford and looked at the Thanes in places where I'd expect to see plenty of fish and saw only fry. It will pick up eventually. The Thames has a history of 'moody' years.

Blog Entries

so instead of being old father thames it should be old mother thames

It's just a phase ---All waters have peak and trough years
    It's a fine line between genius and madness -- I wish I knew which side of it I'm on !

alan whittington Guest

Probably right Ed but its been struggling through a bit for the last few seasons but not as bad as this start,the big shoals of bream havnt gone overnight(unless trawled),so i take it they are sitting up in the water with their mouths firmly shut.
    Last edited by alan whittington; 21-07-2009 at 05:33.

or maybe still on the spawning grounds?

I'm praying for a decent bit of rain to put some colour and flow back in

alan whittington Guest

I wouldnt have thought their still on the spawning grounds Jim as the weather and river conditions were good May-June time and that adventure should be well over with,i tried running through with my smartcast(bought for easy depth finding)but found very few fish registering on it in a pretty good swim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast