signal cray fish question

captain carrott

Reaction score
as far as i was aware.

it was illegal to remove signal crayfish from the water without a licence and if you caught one it was illegal to return said crayfish to the water, so you were stufeffed whichever way you turned,

but in conversations elsewhere, i have been lead to believe that signal crayfish have been reclassified as a fish so that if you now catch one with rod and line while holding a valid rod licence you are no longer breaking the law.

is this true?

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Signal crayfish are an alien species and a threat to any water they invade. Removal is not an offence, though you need a license to trap them (to help make sure you're not trapping native white-clawed crayfish by mistake).

Like swine flu: Catch It, Bin it, Kill it.

captain carrott

Reaction score
but as of a couple of years ago, it was illegal to remove any species of cryfish from the water without the requisite trappigng licence, we were not considered as capable of discerning the difference between the various species.

i have been lead to believe that this situation has changed and that signal crayfish are now able to be legally removed from the water with an angling licence. as long as they are not the target species and are captured as bycatch.

quattro

Reaction score
It's difficult to understand how crayfish could be reclassified as a fish, but then if it's European legislation anything is possible, I've no doubt a subcommittee has been deliberating for months:D:D

captain carrott

Reaction score
i wonder if Graham would know any one who could clarify the situation for us

Cakey

Reaction score
your wasting your time anyway
there was a progrm on the telly where everyday two transit loads are taken from a London park everyday and everyday they still get two transit loads
once they are there they are there for good:(

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 ----------

oooops
this is from EA.............
Crayfish trapping - Advice from the Environment Agency

If you are planning to trap crayfish we will need to know the species of crayfish (for example, signal) and the reason why (for example, scientific, commercial, personal consumption etc.). We will also need to know details of the type and number of traps you intend to use.

If you are issued with consent you will also be sent tags for each of the consented traps. These tags should be displayed on the traps at all times to avoid the traps being seized. If you lose your tags please contact the National Fisheries Laboratory on 01480 483968.

Except where previously agreed in writing with the Environment Agency, all other species of fish or eels caught in the trap shall be returned to the water as soon as is practicable and with as little damage as possible.

Trap dimensions

Except where previously agreed with the Environment Agency in writing, the opening or entrance to any trap shall not exceed 200 mm in diameter and the mesh size shall not exceed 30 mm at its widest point. No trap shall exceed the maximum dimensions of 600 mm in length and 350 mm at its widest point.

Catch returns

You may be required to submit catch returns as a condition of your consent. For crayfish trapping a form will be provided. These catch returns should be sent to the consent authorising officer at the end of the consent period. Failure to submit catch returns may result in a delay in processing repeat applications.