''How to go fishing, and stay happily married"

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Hats off to you mate, you've got style with a capital ''S''. The answer to the question could be, find a female who enjoys fishing. Failing that, invest in a pair of knee pads and practice ''yes my dear'' with conviction.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Forty four years hitched for me. I've just asked Pat how she puts up with it, her reply. ''When you've been out, you come back tired but happy, and I can wrap you round my little finger. When you haven't been out, you're just grumpy, and complain about the TV programmes I want to watch''.

Having said all that, we've been together so long, and been through so much, it's kinda like a two piece jigsaw, we fit.

heathbryant45

Reaction score
"When you haven't been out, you're just grumpy, and complain about the TV programmes I want to watch''.

lol lol lol, how very true

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
My wife said to me, if you think you're sitting there after we've spent a bloody fortune on fishing stuff you're up a bloody gum tree (well it wasn't put as nice as that).

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
A match fishing friends wife even turns his casters for him during the week. Just as long as she got/gets her Saturday night out (with hubby) shes happy.

Another friends wife encourages him to go fishing; she hardly ever sees him and they leave notes for each other on the fridge door.

My wife hates fishing and anglers, at times I think she hates me.;) I even made the ultimate sacrifice and sold all my tackle when we first married in 1965, the following year I was back fishing.

The only thing I really regret during my fishing life is that my son never took an interest in angling.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
My wife will very happily come fishing with me given the opportunity - though two very small kiddies means that 1) I hardly ever get to go and 2) the times that she'd be able to come with me are even fewer and far between!! That said, we still manage the very occasional trip where she tends to sit and watch. For someone who's used to running around after an eight month-old and a two year old, the chance to sit by a lake doing nothing becomes incredibly attractive!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My mr's is ok with me going out fishing regular so long as she gets to her boot sales on the weekend and I take her to her dog shows. I must addmitt to visiting the car boot sales with her occassionally as she's got me loads of fishing dvd's, books and beleive it or not she got me a brand new unused Allcocks match aerial/boxed for absolutley nothing thrown in a pile of junk in an old suitcase !! Even I've found a few amazing bargains that I thought I'd never see.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
well my way would be to walk around all day with a glum look , never do the washing up,hoovering,dusting or cooking ...... then i say darlin dearest i,m off fishing now ..... and she replies good job too you miserable lazy bas....rd take as long as you want.

Then again theres the way i do do it , and that is to buy her flowers and choccies now and again always greet her with a kiss when she comes home ,and now and agin cook her a nice meal. But most of all what is important is never tell her she,s wrong , just say yes dear how right you are and work her back round your way later. And last but not least tell her you love her. Then get down the shop and get yer maggies with a clear concience. Tell ya the truth she has never realy stopped me doing anything i want , maybe cos i give her time too, supported her in rough times and maybe its sloppy telling you lot but i love her to bits.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The secret to staying married and going fishing is all in the timing.
Never give to much notice of a fishing trip that can be postponed and as much notice as possible of those fishing trips that require organisation.
For example:
You are planning on meeting with a couple of mates and fishing over night somewhere that requires a couple of hours drive then tell your wife as soon as the arrangements are made, put the dates of the trip on the calendar, remind her frequently of when the dates are, how much you are looking forwards to the fishing and how difficult it has been for all o the lads to arrange the event. This way your good lady will not forget and try to get you to child mind whilst she goes out, arrange a night out with some friends or set up any plans that clash with the fishing - of she does you have the "But this has been set up ages and I did tell you" card to play

On the other hand if you just fancy a day off work to fish your local river on your own leave your wife in the dark as long as possible. Book the day of work and say nothing of your plans till the night before ,then casually mention to you other half as you get in to bed "I'm off work tomorrow and I'm probably going fishing"
This will stop her making any plans for you such as gardening, painting or going shopping together, if she does bring these subjects up simply say "Well I couldn't do that if I was at work so no harm done" - be prepared for a cold front in the morning but since you will be out of the house fishing for most of the day this should not worry you to much

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Are you completely bonkers woman?

---------- Post added at 15:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Like my wife would ever give me the credit card to start with lol :D

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
We have argued about everything you could possibly think of but never about me and my fishing, I go wherever I want and whenever I want and she never moans about it.

Well, maybe when she has to get up at 4 a.m. to cook my breakfast ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
38 years of give & take.

That sounds like my first marriage Fred; 19 years of Me Giving and Her Taking!

Then the second wife (who was Norwegian) who could never understand why any sane person would put back all he catches, and so to the last one who encouraged me to go fishing so that she could go out and about with her new boyfriend!

Bitter?

Nope, I just put it all down to experience and now I just go fishing whenever I want to, and I don't have to feed, house and clothe a wife, and I cook better than all three of them put together.

End of!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
That sounds like my first marriage Fred; 19 years of Me Giving and Her Taking!

Then the second wife (who was Norwegian) who could never understand why any sane person would put back all he catches, and so to the last one who encouraged me to go fishing so that she could go out and about with her new boyfriend!

Bitter?

Nope, I just put it all down to experience and now I just go fishing whenever I want to, and I don't have to feed, house and clothe a wife, and I cook better than all three of them put together.

End of!

Peter - are you free of them are are you still paying?