Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking improving tinned sweetcorn

hi,

what is the best way to improved tinned sweetcorns attractivness with stuff from home, like could you use sunflower oil and add colourings to make more attractive to carp. any help about oils you can add and colourings and anything really

thanks

tom

tommy you can dye corn with food colourings usually used for icing.I have black and red in my cupboard and the corn takes them very well.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

and you can flavour corn with commercial flavourings from the tackle shop,these are very concentrated and strong so use very sparingly,one drop of pineapple for instance is enough for a tin of corn,if you overdo it it puts the fish off as well,remember that just because it does'nt smell strong to you it can be smelt by a fish much easier.A word of warning for this time of year is watch out for wasps,they are attracted to flavoured bait and it is on your hands and sometimes your face,not to mention other parts of the body

hi peter,
    thanks but adding the colouring does it give you and edge over the normal yellow sweetcorn. when i go this thursday ill bring half coloured and half normal and see it if makes any difference.

natural yellow corn is better in coloured water,darker colours may not be so visisble..

black corn fished over hemp works well.

Also bear the depth in mind, I found that in water less than around 2 feet, using yellow corn, the smaller fish stayed away and the better sized ones were feeding, if you dye the corn a darker colour as Peter says they may not be as visible and you may attract the attention of smaller fish.

But as always, give it a go and see what works best for you in your given situation.

Scott Whatmore Guest

If fish become a bit wary of yellow corn, a different colour may bring results.
    I've never found it necessary to flavour corn, it has super attraction whiff as it is, although for the reason above a change could be as good as a completely different bait.

Trial and error are the best ways to find out

Blog Entries

I used to think adding a colour/flavour gave an edge experience now tells me that is not the case but anything that gives confidence is good.
    Fancy a pint?

One corn variant I have good results with is fermented corn. I often leave leftover corn in the fridge untill it starts to ferment (bubbly and smells slightly alcoholic, not sour). Its a killer when tench/bream/carp are in the mood for it. Worth a try if you want to experiment, tight lines.
    Have your say on the removal of fish from our waters HERE

thanks alot everyone your all very helpful ill try out some stuff this thursday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast